Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Registrar & small account
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Registrar & small account

TigersWayTigersWay Member
edited September 2011 in General

Hi,
I know we had that 'talk' on the old lowendtalk, but it was then more focused on big accounts/resellers, etc.
I am thinking about regrouping a dozen of domain names which are today at a dozen different registrars. Some are mine, some from 'soccer mum' Thai style :-)

I would need partial - for some - and full - for others - whois privacy; good dns servers but no fancy options. And you may guess of course, nice prices.

Anyone would have ideas to share?
Thanks

Comments

• I don't understand what you are asking.

Thanked by 1Keith
  • tech-hosts.co.uk are good for me and offer who-is protection for all their domains free of charge!

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Tech-Hosts.co.uk have really cheap prices, so do SimplexWebs for some domains.

• namecheap.com
    easy to use interface, good prices, reliable dns servers and always coupons floating around

• I've always had support problems with namecheap.

• thekreekthekreek Member
    edited September 2011

Internet BS has good prices and they were also featured here.

Thanked by 1TigersWay
  • LEA featured a domain registrar? I don't recall that:

http://www.lowendbox.com/?s=internetbs&searchsubmit=Find

• @thekreek -- that has indeed has pretty good price. Not to mention that they are accredited registrar themselves. So is NameCheap but I don't think tech-hosts.co.uk is. How does a domain registrar based in Bahamas concerns you?

I'll be much more inclined to go with the registrars themselves, rather than resellers as they probably have higher chance of going belly up. Personally I use both DreamHost and Name.com -- both are fine, relatively cheap but not the cheapest.

• @drmike -- maybe this?

Thanked by 1TigersWay
  • @LowEndAdmin I know. We've had a couple of "well they were featured on LEB" in the past that weren't. I was trying to be polite about it.

• TigersWayTigersWay Member
    edited September 2011

LowEndAdmin said: @drmike -- maybe this?

Thanks LEA, I was looking for this one too.

And yes, Internet BS was never featured but was/is known around here, and I am looking for "review" and alternatives, knowing I maintain a dozen names not 2 hundreds/thousands.

• InternetBS is great!
    Their live support were helpful in the past too :)

• @maxexcloo said: InternetBS is great!

Just was curious if anyone had any additional feed back on these folks. Considering that they will take the couple *.be domains that I have, I'm now eying them. Funky name and all.

• @drmike said: I've always had support problems with namecheap.

I'm still wondering, when do you actually need support for a domain?

• @ztec said: I'm still wondering, when do you actually need support for a domain?

When they f' up the purchase of said domain.

edit: They being namecheap, not me. Took them 3 days for their "24/7/365" support to get back to me as their support doesn't work weekends. And that was to tell me "Huh?". I had registered a domain but after 24 hours it hadn't been passed up the chain to the root namesevers.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2011

@drmike said: if anyone had any additional feed back on these folks

Internet.bs have good reputation in domainers world. Cheap prices, good helpful support... You won't find a lot negative critics about them.

@TigersWay if there's a lot of domains I suggest you another route from those mentioned above. What about to get some reseller account to get/renew domains even cheaper? Few reputable resellers where you can get good pricing: OpenSRS, enom, NetEarthOne, Resell.biz or... internet.bs again. You don't need thousands domains for this but you can still save some dollar or two on each domain that way.

@ztec most of the time you don't need support but when/if you do it's usually urgent matter which require fast, helpful response. I can imagine few situations like billing issue, domain transfer issue, hijacking, locked account... If things aren't dealed properly you can lose your precious domain, something what no one want for sure.

• I can't suggest enom. They've been caught a few times registering similar domains as to what their clients were buying and then turning them around and trying to sell them to those clients with the hint that they would put them on the market if they didn't get bought.

Rather bad example of plus selling. More like blackmail to me.

• +1 for internetbs, mind that the weekest part of their service is DNS. I have seen quite a few registrar (almost) go under because of ddos on their dns. Consider buying an additional service to host your zones, like www.dnsmadeeasy.com or Amazon Route 53. Until a few weeks ago i'd suggest Hexonet too, but they just announced a 1.200% (12fold!) price increase for managing external zones because of too many ddos.

• I would pay more for Amazon Route 53 (just for the zones, not sure about query count) than I would for 3 $15-16/year LEBs plus I can use the LEBs for things like IRC servers, VPN/proxy servers, etc.

• @marrco Thanks. My personal sites are already dns'ed with a 3rd party provider thanks to the (Whatever that company was called) mess a few months ago.

• +1 for itnernetBS. Had a problem with a domain name not renewing, issue was resolved in 20mins. Great support and great prices.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited December 2011

heh their login interface is broken for plussed email addresses as it removes the plus and gives an empty space. :)

I'll send them a ticket.

• They're probably not escaping it right. URLencode/-decode problems propably.

• internetbs.net is far the best domain registrar I ever used(and I used many).

They are really cheap, the have good reseller API, they are offshore(bahamas), they give free privacy, free redundant DNS services(which actually works great), easy to use fast interface(not like godaddy or 1and1 where everything is a mess and useless), they are ICANN accredited, good support(they offer support in more languages, it is a big plus I think).

I think you can't go wrong with them using them now for about 3 years :)

• Seconding the vote for Name.com. Nothing but good luck.

Mainly been with them through their red-headed stepchild subsidiary brand thing Domainsite, though.

• @drmike said: Just was curious if anyone had any additional feed back on these folks. Considering that they will take the couple *.be domains that I have, I'm now eying them. Funky name and all.

I can also only recommend them, all my domains are hosted and registered with them.
    They also offer free whois protection and free DynamicDNS.
    Their support is awesome too. When i asked how i could use their DynDNS in my dd-wrt router they setup dd-wrt in a VM, tested how it works and made me a full tutorial (within 12 hours).

• @drmike said: When they f' up the purchase of said domain.

edit: They being namecheap, not me. Took them 3 days for their "24/7/365" support to get back to me as their support doesn't work weekends. And that was to tell me "Huh?". I had registered a domain but after 24 hours it hadn't been passed up the chain to the root namesevers.

Ah ok, never happened to me before. I got about 30 personal domains with NameCheap. My favorite is TransIP.nl - a dutch company. Best support ever, they even removed all the late fees when I was too lazy to pay. Good company, very kind people. Probably not useful for you guys - but maybe there are some dutch ppl here.

• @kylix said: They're probably not escaping it right. URLencode/-decode problems propably.

That's what i originally thought and said on the ticket but the @ symbol isn't escaped either and it went through fine.

• @drmike said: That's what i originally thought and said on the ticket but the @ symbol isn't escaped either and it went through fine.

http://drmikessteakdinner.com/ seems to be down :(
    Btw, can you explain the "Where are the whores?" question , seems like there's a good anecdote behind it.

• @ztec said: Ah ok, never happened to me before. I got about 30 personal domains with NameCheap. My favorite is TransIP.nl - a dutch company. Best support ever, they even removed all the late fees when I was too lazy to pay. Good company, very kind people. Probably not useful for you guys - but maybe there are some dutch ppl here.

>

Hmm great prices transip.nl has :)