Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xen with Windows issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xen with Windows issue

leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Hello,
We have a client who has a VPS with BurstNET using Windows on Xen. After their migration, the VPS does not boot and goes into system recovery. Is there any way to recover the data at this point ?

Comments

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

When be ticketing burst be an option :P ? (Joke, 10 days average response lol)

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@AlexanderM said:
    When be ticketing burst be an option :P ? (Joke, 10 days average response lol)

Not an option :p

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

hi,

you can use repair option when you boot from windows iso, you can also use specialized distributions like hiren or something which will give you ability to use file system or you can migrate that client to same specs hardware node.

That would be all options known to me. Usually Windows reinstall do the job.

• Sometimes, when I'm moving my disk from one pc to another, it will just went BSOD. But no problem if I change the CPU/Ram.

If it can be viewed from the vnc, try to boot it in a recovery ( F8 ), try to use the lastes running configuration, disable some software that might caused a conflict. Also check the networking device, is it not using virtio? Is it having a license or illegal?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

it can be one of many reasons why it wont boot. the solution is different depending on cause.

I assume this is one of your managed customers that now requests help?
    If you need help, I could take a look and give my opinion for a solution.

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

Boot in Command Prompt >
    Setup Network >>
    Connect FTP
    Move your files

Thanked by 10xdragon

Thank you for all your help. We were able to get it to locate the Windows installation by rebuilding BCD. However, no the system recovery option has gone and it requires us to mount an ISO before providing system recovery. Safe mode / Last known configuration and Start windows normally all result in BSOD.

I have asked Burst whether they can mount an ISO , waiting for their reply.

• What windows version is it Ishan?

edited April 2014

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    What windows version is it Ishan?

It is Win 2008 Standard R2

• If the OS/disk is encrypted, we should turn of disk encryption before moving the vm to the new host.

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    If the OS/disk is encrypted, we should turn of disk encryption before moving the vm to the new host.

Sorry, I cannot move it at all , as it is a resold BurstNET VPS.

Their support refused to connect an ISO to boot the VPS , so we provisioned a fresh VPS for the client. Time to move out everyone from BurstNET anyway.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho