Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS on DEDI with 1 ip???
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS on DEDI with 1 ip???

JohnRoeJohnRoe Member

let say I want to set up vps on my online.net's dedi. How can I set up them without having many IPs???

I heard about NAT, where it use port instead unique ips, but how to do that?
I searched around for this problem and found no complete guidance for newbie like me :'( can anyone point me to any right directiion?

I just know how to use vps. so, complete guidance are needed :)

Comments

• LexLex Member

I'm also interested about this !

• @AnthonySmith (who runs LowEndSpirit) and @i83 both use NAT to share a single IPv4 address on their VPS. Hopefully they can tell you a bit more.

Another option is to request an IPv6 subnet from online.net (I have no idea if they give any) and to use one per VPS.

• @iceTwy said:

Another option is to request an IPv6 subnet from online.net (I have no idea if they give any) and to use one per VPS.

1 problem with ipv6 is, it seems my broadband provider doesnt support ipv6. my intetnet cant load ipv6.. so, it is useless if I setup ipv6 vps but I cant access it

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

You haven't even specified which virtualization technology you're using o_O

• @perennate said:
    You haven't even specified which virtualization technology you're using o_O

if openvz?

• Would you be using a control panel?

If your going to use Proxmox or VMWare ESXi then I could guide you to set a PFSense or IPFire Router to setup NAT. (The reason for using one of these is so that it makes it easier to manage, you could setup iptables port forwarding)

• 5n1p5n1p Member
    edited April 2014

DigitalDuke said: DigitalDuke

You can find how to do that there. Also if you want to run websites on containers you can add reverse proxy on host node, this way you can serve websites from containers on port 80 for all containers. I personally use NGINX for this, just add VHOST that will proxy all traffic coming to host node to internal IP of container.

• I'm using my Online.net for running 10 small vps but with IPv4 natted and IPv6 from HE tunnel.

So, each vps can be accessed using the dedicated server IPv4 address with each port forwarded to the vps ssh port, or each vps can be accessed using their own IPv6.

It's using proxmox, and for the openvpn/ppp purpose we need to manually enable it and also doing port forward to the vps port. Maybe it's been several months back I've created a tutorial for this.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    I'm using my Online.net for running 10 small vps but with IPv4 natted and IPv6 from HE tunnel.

So, each vps can be accessed using the dedicated server IPv4 address with each port forwarded to the vps ssh port, or each vps can be accessed using their own IPv6.

It's using proxmox, and for the openvpn/ppp purpose we need to manually enable it and also doing port forward to the vps port. Maybe it's been several months back I've created a tutorial for this.

Can you tell me how did you do the he tunnel? I've looking for something like this

• edited April 2014

@netomx, I make a tutorial about this, but it's in Indonesian.

But for example, it would be my /etc/network/interfaces :

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    auto vmbr0
    iface vmbr0 inet static
            address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx #your IPv4
            netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 195.154.15.0
            broadcast 195.154.15.255
            gateway 195.154.15.1
            bridge_ports eth0
            bridge_stp off
            bridge_fd 0

auto he-ipv6
    iface he-ipv6 inet6 v4tunnel
        endpoint 216.66.84.42 #server IPv4 address in the HE tunnelbroker
        address 2001:470:1f12:254::2 #client IPv6 address in the HE tunnelbroker
        netmask 64

up /sbin/ip -6 route add default dev he-ipv6
        up /sbin/ip -6 addr add 2001:470:1f13:254::/64 dev vmbr0 #routed /64 in the HE tunnelbroker

# Set proxy agar semua koneksi IPv6 dari vps dilewatkan ke network card
        post-up ip -6 neigh add proxy 2001:470:1f13:254::100 dev vmbr0
        post-up ip -6 neigh add proxy 2001:470:1f13:254::101 dev vmbr0
        post-up ip -6 neigh add proxy 2001:470:1f13:254::102 dev vmbr0
        post-up ip -6 neigh add proxy 2001:470:1f13:254::103 dev vmbr0

This is the source of the tutorial regarding HE tunnel : https://blog.timheckman.net/2011/05/24/he-tunnelbroker-ipv6-gateway/

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    netomx, I make a tutorial about this, but it's in Indonesian.

But for example, it would be my /etc/network/interfaces :

> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    > # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
    >  
    > # The loopback network interface
    > auto lo
    > iface lo inet loopback
    >  
    > # The primary network interface
    > auto vmbr0
    > iface vmbr0 inet static
    >         address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx #your IPv4
    >         netmask 255.255.255.0
    >     network 195.154.15.0
    >         broadcast 195.154.15.255
    >         gateway 195.154.15.1
    >         bridge_ports eth0
    >         bridge_stp off
    >         bridge_fd 0
    >  
    > auto he-ipv6
    > iface he-ipv6 inet6 v4tunnel
    >     endpoint 216.66.84.42 #server IPv4 address in the HE tunnelbroker
    >     address 2001:470:1f12:254::2 #client IPv6 address in the HE tunnelbroker
    >     netmask 64
    >  
    >     up /sbin/ip -6 route add default dev he-ipv6
    >     up /sbin/ip -6 addr add 2001:470:1f13:254::/64 dev vmbr0 #routed /64 in the HE tunnelbroker
    >  
    >     # Set proxy agar semua koneksi IPv6 dari vps dilewatkan ke network card
    >     post-up ip -6 neigh add proxy 2001:470:1f13:254::100 dev vmbr0
    >     post-up ip -6 neigh add proxy 2001:470:1f13:254::101 dev vmbr0
    >     post-up ip -6 neigh add proxy 2001:470:1f13:254::102 dev vmbr0
    >     post-up ip -6 neigh add proxy 2001:470:1f13:254::103 dev vmbr0
    > 

This is the source of the tutorial regarding HE tunnel : https://blog.timheckman.net/2011/05/24/he-tunnelbroker-ipv6-gateway/

Just so you know, you're setting up your HE tunnel wrong.

Thanked by 1gattytto
  • Which part Ralias?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

If it's working, how can it be wrong? It could probably be setup in another way but the result would be the same?

• sc754sc754 Member

@psycholyzern said:
    let say I want to set up vps on my online.net's dedi. How can I set up them without having many IPs???

I heard about NAT, where it use port instead unique ips, but how to do that?
    I searched around for this problem and found no complete guidance for newbie like me :'( can anyone point me to any right directiion?

I just know how to use vps. so, complete guidance are needed :)

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/489160/

I covered the networking part of what you're after in that guide

• Im searching for cheap dedi to play with.. suddenly online.net nano 500GB are backordered.. 2 days ago 32 still available -_-

• Guys.. help me please..

Im trying to create VM with proxmox.. ubuntu 12.04..

so what I did, I create VM and try to start the vm.. then this error shown => http://i.imgur.com/BgABEm1.png

I tried to open the console but cant connect =>http://i.imgur.com/AE6Tmq3.png

This is my /etc/network/interfaces/ -> http://pastebin.com/yBECE6JB

what is the problem?? I tried 5 times with 2 different ISO. ubuntu server and desktop.. both produce these errors

• I had issues getting NAT working with proxmox aswel (lack of experience.) You could use virtualbox instead like i did! (www.virtualbox.org) it is easier to get working because you only have to drop in a few commands.

To forward the incoming port to a port on your virtualmachine you can use this command in the terminal (with the GUI version too)

VBoxManage modifyvm "VMNAME" --natpf1 "RULENAME,PROTOCOL(UDP/TCP),,PORT,,PORT"

if you wanna delete the forwardrule use this command

VBoxManage modifyvm "VMNAME" --natpf1 delete "RULENAME"

to show all existing rules use this command

VBoxManage showvminfo "VMNAME"

In order to run the virtualmachine without GUI throw this command in your terminal

nohup /usr/bin/VBoxHeadless --startvm "VMNAME"

Replace all words written using CAPSLOCK with your own input.

Make sure that you put the networking of the virtualmachine on NAT because if you don't those commands will not affect anything.

Goodluck!

• @Mark_R I just started to learn KVM, is virtualbox something different ??

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited April 2014

@psycholyzern said:
    Mark_R I just started to learn KVM, is virtualbox something different ??

I know that virtualbox supports full virtualization and that it has a nice interface where you can manage everything from. It might be heavier to run than KVM if you plan to have a ton of virtual machines but im not sure about that. What's important here is that you get that NAT working right? I think that this is the easiest and fastest way to get it running.

• @Mark_R said:

So, I need reinstall my dedi to try it..

ok.like this.. I will give more times to play with proxmox. and if still didnt work, I will try virtualbox.

• Its not required to reinstall your dedicated server to run virtualbox.. proxmox runs ontop of Debian, virtualbox works fine on that. But I dont know if you messed up the dedicated server's networking settings so a reinstall of Debian doesn't sound like a bad idea.

• btw, thanks for suggestion.. I know who Im looking for f I got any problem with virtualbox later :p

• Well, I installed a virtualbox inside a windows vps last year, :D

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Well, I installed a virtualbox inside a windows vps last year, :D

Is it easier than proxmox??
    Seems pretty good for newbie like me :D

• Try it in a local computer, :)

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited April 2014

@psycholyzern said:
    btw, thanks for suggestion.. I know who Im looking for f I got any problem with virtualbox later :p

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/End-user_documentation

Everything you need help with is most likely already described there,

just take the time to read it if you really want to make it work.

• JohnRoeJohnRoe Member
    edited April 2014

I tried with many tutorials.. including tutorial from @ErawanArifNugroho .. but still cant connect vnc to the created vm.

if the vm has been given with 10.99.0.1 static ip, how can possible I connect to the vm by ip of my own dedi?

btw, when I start my vm, it show "internal-error". tried with windows 7, ubuntu, debian, ubuntu minimal... all produce same error..

here what I do..

1. create new interfaces
      http://pastebin.com/Nrc51e6s (had to post on pastebin because so hard to keep this code in format in this thread)

2. then I run 'ifup vmbr2' to bring up the interface

3. after that create VM using vmbr2 interface
      in the wizard, I chose virtio for bus driver and model..

4. open the console.. and I got error, could not connect to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5900

5. the ssh on port 1022 also not works.

6. when Im trying to start the vm, the status show "internal error"

what Im missing?

• edited April 2014

For example, the dedicate server IPv4 address : 10.99.0.254, and SSH at port 22

The vps Internal IP is 192.168.1.2 and ssh at port 22

Since port 22 were used by dedicated server IPv4, we need to use another port to connect to our vps, for example port 2201 via NAT.

So, if we want to connect to our vps, we can connect trough dedicated server IPv4 but using ssh port that forwarded to the vps ssh port, in this case 10.99.0.254:2201

Dedicated.server.ip:2201 -------------> vps.internal.ip:22

And the iptables that needed to use in the dedicated server is like this :

# iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i vmbr0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 2201 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.2:22

We need to open connection to the internet for the container, and this is the iptables that needed to run at the dedicated server :

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o vmbr0 -j SNAT --to 10.99.0.254

Change the vmbr0 to your own network. And try to make a vps from "Create container" not from create VM since it's Proxmox. If you want to deploy a vps with easy way, try to use SolusVM, but you need two servers. One for the master, one for the slave.

Don't forget, you need to pay for the license if you want to use SolusVM. You can also use Openvz Web Panel, but some setting need to be done manualy, such adding IPv6, enabling TUN/TAP/PPP.