Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My experience with DDOS-HOST.NET - two week review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My experience with DDOS-HOST.NET - two week review

alfieyeomanalfieyeoman Member
edited April 2014 in Reviews

Hello all, I have been using DDOS-HOST.net for two weeks tomorrow and I would like to share the pros and cons of the host.

Firstly, the I/O speeds are good - I am always getting way beyond what I expect from a budget VPS provider. The speed in the screenshot was a little on the slow side compared to normal but it's still more than satisfactory.

Next, the uptime and ddos protection. The ddos protection is good as I personally attacked my website (hosted on the VPS) with a booter that my friend has which can apparently put out 10 Gbps and it didn't move. As for the uptime, there has been no downtime since I purchased the server. For all I know, this could change as it has only been two weeks but so far so good.

Finally, the support. It would have been nice for them to have 24/7 live support. I do see it on quite often, maybe 7-12 hours per day. When the live support is not online, I have contacted ticket support and gotten a response ranging 30 minutes at quickest and 2 hours at maximum. I have only sent one ticket so far but we had around 10 replies each in it and all replies ranged 30 minutes to 2 hours, as I said ahead. Generally not too bad but 24/7 live support would be good...

I used the VPS for hosting multiple websites (so far 19) using cPanel on the 'VPS 3' plan which is 1GB RAM. Very much for the time being but leaves me with much room to grow.

Sorry if my English is bad. I guess this is how a review is set out.

Comments

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited April 2014

said: The ddos protection is good as I personally attacked my website (hosted on the VPS) with a booter

I'd strongly advise not doing this again. Not only is it likely to be a criminal offence, it's also not good for everyone involved. Expect to be ejected if your provider finds out.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @Virtovo said:
    I'd strongly advise not doing this again. Not only is it likely to be a criminal offence, it's also not good for everyone involved. Expect to be ejected if your provider finds out.

You have to test its protection somehow. I think that a 1-2 minute test wouldn't be a problem if they offer real protection.

• @Mark_R said:

Tell that to everyone in between. Again it's likely a criminal offence.

• @Mark_R said:

It wastes bandwidth.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited April 2014

@jeffreywinters said:
    It wastes bandwidth.

Obviously. so what? if I purchase a ddos protected service I would love to confirm if they actually provide the promised protection to make sure that i'm not being taken advantage of. If you have a better way of testing it yourself as customer then feel free to share.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • @Mark_R said:

Yeah, they didn't have a problem with me doing a short test because they do provide the protection they say they do... so why would they have a problem with it. If it is really protected then the host shouldn't care... right?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

No offence mate, but this isn't much of a review. The key points as I see them:

You were happy with the I/O (you don't mention if the speed on the screen shot was typical or not, so the actual figure remains a mystery)

You DDoS'ed the provider yourself (which you'll be lucky to not get your account closed for), and it stood up to it - although it can 'apparently' send out 10 Gbps, you don't actually know what sort of battering the VPS stood up to.

You saw the live support on 7-12 hours per day (out of curiosity, how did you come to this figure, because I'm pretty sure you didn't watch the site for 24 hours a day for 2 weeks).

Ticket responses were between 30 minutes to 2 hours. You don't mention how many tickets, and if the responses were satisfactory.

Is that a fair summary?

• @Nekki said:
    No offence mate, but this isn't much of a review. The key points as I see them:

You were happy with the I/O (you don't mention if the speed on the screen shot was typical or not, so the actual figure remains a mystery)

You DDoS'ed the provider yourself (which you'll be lucky to not get your account closed for), and it stood up to it - although it can 'apparently' send out 10 Gbps, you don't actually know what sort of battering the VPS stood up to.

You saw the live support on 7-12 hours per day (out of curiosity, how did you come to this figure, because I'm pretty sure you didn't watch the site for 24 hours a day for 2 weeks).

Ticket responses were between 30 minutes to 2 hours. You don't mention how many tickets, and if the responses were satisfactory.

Is that a fair summary?

Thanks for the tips, ill update it with more detail.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@alfieyeoman said:
    Thanks for the tips, ill update it with more detail.

Might be worth mentioning what you actually did with the VPS, and how it performed.

• I think the ddos test is one of those werid things.

You want to make sure your getting what ur paying for. But then again I can buy a car that the dealership tells me goes 140mph the cops will still give pull me over even if i am just testing that they are not lying. As a side not nothing wrong with taking it to the track to test its all about how you test.

• @Nekki said:
    Might be worth mentioning what you actually did with the VPS, and how it performed.

Included.. Thank you man. I have never writen a review before so I started to lack the essential details.

• Thank you for the review and I'm glad you like our services. We are currently working towards providing 24/7 live support and we are also looking into getting a phone line for the future. These may only be open in working hours of the UK though.

As for the DDoS attacks, it is a grey area. While I would ask clients to not DDoS their servers or have anyone DDoS them on purpose, sometimes it has to be done in order to check that the service that is being provided is accurate and to it's description. In future, please contact support if you have any doubts about the protection and we can arrange for you to stress test your server with our permission, therefore it not being illegal.

If you have any problems or questions, feel free to contact live or ticket support at any time, or drop me a PM on here.

• @DDoSHost said:
    Thank you for the review and I'm glad you like our services. We are currently working towards providing 24/7 live support and we are also looking into getting a phone line for the future. These may only be open in working hours of the UK though.

As for the DDoS attacks, it is a grey area. While I would ask clients to not DDoS their servers or have anyone DDoS them on purpose, sometimes it has to be done in order to check that the service that is being provided is accurate and to it's description. In future, please contact support if you have any doubts about the protection and we can arrange for you to stress test your server with our permission, therefore it not being illegal.

If you have any problems or questions, feel free to contact live or ticket support at any time, or drop me a PM on here.

Sorry about that, sir. I will contact support in future.

• @DDoSHost They may have your permission, but do you have OVH's permission?

• @chauffer said:
    DDoSHost They may have your permission, but do you have OVH's permission?

This is what I'm saying. It will all have to be filed and planned.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@chauffer said:
    DDoSHost They may have your permission, but do you have OVH's permission?

Point. OVH do have a habit of being brutal with clients receiving DDoS attacks.

• @Nekki said:
    Point. OVH do have a habit of being brutal with clients receiving DDoS attacks.

Hmmm, yet to experience this. All been fine so far and I've always had non stop getting automated emails notifying me about attacks being filtered.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

DDoSHost said: Hmmm, yet to experience this. All been fine so far and I've always had non stop getting automated emails notifying me about attacks being filtered.

Maybe they've become a little more forgiving now they have the mitigation in place. I'd be careful though, plenty here have personal horror stories to tell regarding OVH.

• @Nekki said:
    Hmmm, yet to experience this. All been fine so far and I've always had non stop getting automated emails notifying me about attacks being filtered.

Yeah. I see no reason for them not to be now it is in place.

• DDoSHost said: While I would ask clients to not DDoS their servers or have anyone DDoS them on purpose, sometimes it has to be done in order to check that the service that is being provided is accurate and to it's description.

No host with a bit of common sense would say that unless this "review" is part of your own LET advertisement campaign.
    From what I see advertisement wherever's possible is all what you're doing at LET. With new host like yourself that's too obvious.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Rockster said:
    From what I see advertisement wherever's possible is all what you're doing at LET. With new host like yourself that's too obvious.

In all fairness, the initial review was so lacking, if it was a shill you'd be asking for your money back. Doesn't look much like shilling to me.

• W3HostW3Host Member
    edited April 2014

@Rockster said:

I am here on LET to offer my hosting services. I will contribute in LET discussion as and when I feel appropriate to do so, so yes, most of the posts I make here are affiliated in some way to my hosting company. This review is nothing to do with me and I find it rather rude that you are insinuating that this review is an advertisement on my behalf. This is a client views of my services. You're entitled to your own opinion, as am I and everybody else. My opinion is that I agree, sometimes you do need to stress test your own server to see if you are getting what you have paid for. I've been a client before and so have you. I have always wanted to see if I am getting what I paid for.

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited April 2014

@DDoSHost said:
    Thank you for the review and I'm glad you like our services. We are currently working towards providing 24/7 live support and we are also looking into getting a phone line for the future. These may only be open in working hours of the UK though.

Honestly, I like this a lot. The fact that you are hosting defense against DDoS attacks and understand that your clients want to make sure they are indeed getting the service they pay for shows how much you truly care for your clients. You are willing to arrange an event for the client to be able to stress-test his/her VPS and verify that the DDoS protection is indeed true and active.

How many other hosts would have just booted out their clients and told them to take their business elsewhere? Probably a good 90% of them.

Your willingness to schedule an opportunity for your clients to verify their protection truly shows how dedicated and supportive you are of your clients.

• Ian_Ian_ Member

I'm sorry but if the provider allows his customers to ddos their own vps. What will the provider say to other illegal things they allow to happen right in front of their face.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited April 2014

Pwner said: Honestly, I like this a lot. The fact that you are hosting defense against DDoS attacks and understand that your clients want to make sure they are indeed getting the service they pay for shows how much you truly care for your clients.

They're not "hosting defense against DDoS attacks," OVH is. It's OVH's network they're "permitting" people to DDoS -- without OVH's permission. That's just plain wrong.

Thanked by 1Cakey
  • CakeyCakey Member
    edited April 2014

@Dylan said:
    They're not "hosting defense against DDoS attacks," OVH is. It's OVH's network they're "permitting" people to DDoS -- without OVH's permission. That's just plain wrong.

Not only that but DDoSHost does not know much about ddos attacks nor the protection ovh puts in, it's basically just "Hey lets buy some ovh dedicates and sell them for more!".

For example Ovh has no layer 7 protection even thought they claim that they have like many other things nor does it protect against TCP floods thus one medium sized TCP flood would lead to the whole thing going down/get nulled.

• W3HostW3Host Member
    edited April 2014

@Ian_ said:
    I'm sorry but if the provider allows his customers to ddos their own vps. What will the provider say to other illegal things they allow to happen right in front of their face.

DDoS is not illegal if permission is given. It's simply stress testing. I would have to contact OVH beforehand etc.

I'm done on the discussion of whether or not one should be able to stress their own server for 30 seconds or not.

@Dylan said:

We haven't ever permitted anyone to DDoS their own servers. All I stated above was that if you want to do so, please contact support and I will attempt to arrange something by contacting OVH. Your statement about DDoS-Host permitting DDoS attacks against OVH's permission is plain wrong.

• @DDoSHost said:
    I'm done on the discussion of whether or not one should be able to stress their own server for 30 seconds or not.

Permission would need to be given by every party between the source and the destination.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@DDoSHost said:

I like your approach fella, you're a pretty straight up kinda guy without being rude with it as some are.

Thanked by 1W3Host
  • @Virtovo said:

Please read above.