Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CHVPS/Private Layer network
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CHVPS/Private Layer network

lumaluma Member
edited April 2012 in General

Hello Everyone,

Is it just me or is the CHVPS network pretty bad?

I purchased a VPS with them a while back to use as a private proxy for fun and I get packet loss almost daily. At first I figured it was just my home connection (they are pretty far after all) but then I started monitoring from several locations and I get an almost constant 10% packet loss on average. sometimes going as high as 80% for extended periods of time.

For testing I used Kansas City, Florida, France and Netherlands so I know its not just my location!

I opened a few tickets but they get closed out right away with the standard "our network is fine"

Before I cancel I figured I would ask on here, perhaps it is just my vps that is crap, maybe a reinstall?

I know it is a budget host and I would not complain but I can't even get simple websites to load within 5 minutes (no joke)

Thanks.

Luma

Comments

• Can you do a speedtest?

• lumaluma Member

@joodle said: Can you do a speedtest?

not sure why you want a speedtest I mean packet loss is bad no matter what.

I have been trying to load the speedtest site now for a good 3 minutes, still loading... give me a few hours.

• Not that, do a wget via the VPS

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Maybe the node, mine is working OK, as I ping it every minute and no packet losses

• Have you checked whether its your home connection?

• lumaluma Member

@Daniel said: Have you checked whether its your home connection?

if you are going to reply to a post READ THE FREAKING POST!

• lumaluma Member

@joodle said: Not that, do a wget via the VPS

Running a wget cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test -O /dev/null

it started at about 4KB/s, now it is down to --,-K/s ETA 30 hours and 50 minutes.

yeah something is wrong with this thing.

• @luma said: if you are going to reply to a post READ THE FREAKING POST!

My fault sorry, I forgot that part of your post.

Check whether you have a firewall running.

• @luma said: Running a wget cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test -O /dev/null

it started at about 4KB/s, now it is down to --,-K/s ETA 30 hours and 50 minutes.

yeah something is wrong with this thing.

Contact CHVPS with a wget result from Cachefly, something is terribly wrong if your VPS is slower then dial up.

My server, running Minecraft:

wget cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test -O /dev/null
    --2012-05-01 02:54:25--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `/dev/null'

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 10.9M/s   in 9.2s

2012-05-01 02:54:35 (10.8 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [104857600/104857600]

Maybe it is your node

• lumaluma Member
    edited April 2012

@Daniel said: My fault sorry, I forgot that part of your post.

All good.

@Daniel said: Contact CHVPS with a wget result from Cachefly, something is terribly wrong if your VPS is slower then dial up.

Yeah I opened ~5 or so tickets about this same problem so far and nothing has come of it. Everytime I get the "our monitoring has not reported anything, now bugger off and have a great day"

Hence my post on here. I don't normally post complaints on here without first having a good chat with the provider :(

I rebooted the VPS just in case and now wget is doing 5K/s! world records here my friend.

I am also running iftop to see if maybe I have weird connections but it is clean as it gets, a few DNS queries now and again and my ssh connection of course, that is it.

• lumaluma Member

@netomx said: My server, running Minecraft:

yeah I am thinking the Node for sure. This is a fresh install of Debian I did, no special software at all, I locked down SSH and that is about it, no other running services.

Thanks for testing Netomx.

@luma said: Thanks for testing Netomx.

You're welcome. And, if needed,

time sh -c "dd if=/dev/zero of=ddfile bs=8k count=250000 && sync"
    250000+0 records in
    250000+0 records out
    2048000000 bytes (2.0 GB) copied, 18.983 seconds, 108 MB/s

real    0m53.642s
    user    0m0.129s
    sys     0m5.976s

• My VPS with them is fine, I use it as a VPN. Sure, the network is a little slow, but I haven't encountered any packet losses.. The network is a little slow for me because I am in Florida, USA...

• lumaluma Member

They replied to the ticket saying they have people on the node I am on who are abusing other networks and they are trying to pin point who they are to terminate them. It is better now but this has been ongoing for months so not sure what to make of it yet.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

@luma what Node are you on?

• lumaluma Member

@Jeffrey said: @luma what Node are you on?

Node S04001011918

• rds100rds100 Member

I like their node naming scheme :)

• DanielMDanielM Member

There network is pretty bad I would consider burstnet's network 5 star compared to CHVPS. That torrent site that Private layer hosts its obviously fkin up there bandwidth.

• komokomo Member
    edited May 2012

I have a small vps in panama with privatelayer. cachefly download speed is around 800kbs. pretty slow, but it is enough for me as I use it for squid and ssh tunnels.

I have a pretty good experience with PL support. they usually answer pretty fast and they are flexible if you want custom configurations.

• lumaluma Member

Support was terrible. They just told me that a lot of clients abuse other networks and it takes them a long time to find these clients and remove them. I said how about a change to a node with less abusive clients and they told me no they don't do transfers to other nodes even in circumstances like this.

But it is all good, I cancelled and signed up with EDIS and I have to say so far I am impressed! This little KVM vps is snappy! the template they used is nice and clean and minimal as it should be, It also did the updates.

• WilliamWilliam Member

:)