Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which directories need to be backed up as the Linux equivalent of a system backup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which directories need to be backed up as the Linux equivalent of a system backup?

rchurchrchurch Member
edited April 2014 in Help

As I have a large hard disk I want to backup the equivalent of the files and directories which may be considered to be system files, using something like an rsnapshot type system onto the same disk but in a different directory and then be able to quickly restore from the backup if something goes wrong. It is mainly for OpenVZ and Xen type VPS which don't offer the ability to customize the partitioning structure that makes such tasks easy as with KVM.

Are there any considerations which go into deciding which directories fall into that categories and which ones don't?
I know that the /home directory can be excluded, but are there any other directories that can be excluded as well.