Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Awesome SSH Chrome Extension
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Awesome SSH Chrome Extension

subigosubigo Member
edited April 2012 in General

Comments

• Psst, opening up a Terminal and typing ssh blah@blah is still the quickest way.

Thanked by 1Magnus
  • @DotVPS said: Yes but for chromebooks it would be nice...

Chrome Shell has SSH, and you open it by clicking one button.

• @Daniel said: Psst, opening up a Terminal and typing ssh blah@blah is still the quickest way.

Psst, that's not the point. This is what browser apps should be doing. Not tossing birds at pigs.

Thanked by 1Raymii
  • @subigo said: Psst, that's not the point. This is what browser apps should be doing. Not tossing birds at pigs.

But tossing birds at pigs is the greatest part.

Thanked by 3netomx NateN34 Magnus
  • It seems cool but im a little scared of using it incase he records all the connections. Don't want to give strangers all my passwords!

• subigosubigo Member

@PytoHost said: It seems cool but im a little scared of using it incase he records all the connections. Don't want to give strangers all my passwords!

This isn't some ssh proxy script, it's a true ssh client. There is nothing to worry about. The code is open and you can look through it right now.

I think people are really missing the point of how awesome this is going to be. For the first time ever, we have a truly cross-platform, easy to use, basic ssh client. This app works no differently than Gnome Terminal, Terminal.app, Putty, etc... And with sandboxing, it can easily be as secure, if not more secure, than a regular ssh client.

Not to mention the fact that this will make my life easier. Do you have any idea how many tickets I get from people needed a step-by-step walkthrough of how to use something as simple as Putty? With this I just have to say, install the extension, copy/paste this line of text. Done.

Right now it's just beta, and I would argue a basic proof-of-concept... but once a few more options are available for it, it'll be exactly what I've hoped to see for over a decade now.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@subigo said: With this I just have to say, install the extension, copy/paste this line of text.

"sir i cant find chrome in my internets explorer"

• @Aldryic said: "sir i cant find chrome in my internets exploder"

Fixed.

• SpencerSpencer Member

@subigo no doubt I really like it, I gave it a try. I can do tickets and work on server stuff all in the same browser. I think im really going to like it.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Can't use keys = fail.

Thanked by 1seraphkz
  • SpencerSpencer Member

@raindog308 said: Can't use keys = fail.

I don't know if that will ever be an option.

• subigosubigo Member

@raindog308 said: Can't use keys = fail.

Beta. Read the mailing list. Keys and anything else you would want are already working in unreleased versions.

• upfreakupfreak Member

This is awesome. I just tried and started to like it. I can save sessions as bookmarks. ;) a true time saver which works across all my work machines.. Thanks a lot @subigo for this wonderful tip.

• KMyersKMyers Member

@subigo said: Beta. Read the mailing list. Keys and anything else you would want are already working in unreleased versions.

Nice, cant wait for the ssh-keys

• sajanNOPPIXsajanNOPPIX Member
    edited May 2012

I have a Chromebook and something like this would be awesome. Need to support keys though.

@subigo, you say that it's working in an unreleased version? Beta or Dev?

Edit: Just read further. What mailing list? How do I get myself on it?

• cr08cr08 Member

@sajanNOPPIX: With Chromebooks, it is easy to pull up a terminal and use SSH there and it can do keys as well. Download said key from the browser and point the command line to ~/Downloads/key.blah and go. Though with recent changes and the 'half-pane' crap where you no longer can full screen the browser and terminal and just alt-tab between them is a PITA.

• KMyersKMyers Member
    edited May 2012
  • subigosubigo Member

@sajanNOPPIX said: I have a Chromebook and something like this would be awesome. Need to support keys though.

@subigo, you say that it's working in an unreleased version? Beta or Dev?

Edit: Just read further. What mailing list? How do I get myself on it?

FAQ: http://git.chromium.org/gitweb/?p=chromiumos/platform/assets.git;a=blob;f=chromeapps/hterm/doc/faq.txt

Mailing List / Group: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-hterm/topics

I wasn't saying I have an unreleased version myself. I was saying that the developer himself says the team has working versions. This was made by the actual Chrome team, so it's not some random developer.

• RaymiiRaymii Member

Looks very nice, trying it out as we speak... To bad I've just bought SecureCRT :P

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I'm personally a big fan of the iOS app prompt. http://itun.es/i624Jj

• AmitzAmitz Member

@Fliphost said: I'm personally a big fan of the iOS app prompt. http://itun.es/i624Jj

Same here. It still has some seldom occurring bugs, but it is a very nice app. I also use iSSH from time to time on iOS. Way more mature but not as slick as Prompt.

• smansman Member
    edited September 2013

please remove my post