Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The New Atoms
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The New Atoms

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Hi Guys,

Curious to hear any real world feedback for the new Atom series, specifically Atom C2758/2750. I know they offer roughly half the CPU performance compared to an E3-1240v1 according to Passmark. That said their big memory limit (64GB) and relatively inexpensive price makes them a good, true server grade, option for DR equipment, etc.

SuperMicro offers a number of motherboards with IPMI functionality too:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/

So, if you've used one of them already, what are your thoughts?

Do you guys think they have a spot in the market in the $50 - $65 / month space?

Comments

• Half the CPU performance... per core?

It has 8 cores of CPU, capability to run 64G ram. The tray price is on par with E3 series, I think they qualify to be about the same price as an E3, at least until they get their hands out their ass and up the mem limit on the E3's.

• @jbiloh - I have one racked. It's decent for a small server.

• Saves plenty of electrical bills, good for basement hosting.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Rallias said:
    Half the CPU performance... per core?

It has 8 cores of CPU, capability to run 64G ram. The tray price is on par with E3 series, I think they qualify to be about the same price as an E3, at least until they get their hands out their ass and up the mem limit on the E3's.

The 2750 Atom offers half the total performance of an E3-1240v1.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

usual trade, power vs performance. I think the price will lower, hope AMD will be on par.

@Maounique said:
    usual trade, power vs performance. I think the price will lower, hope AMD will be on par.

Do you guys sell the Atoms?

Not this version, just regular D525 ones with IPMI and all from supermicro. They are 12 in a box. Not sold anymore for a long time, only had a few and their current owners will not let them go:)

• absolutely not at that price range

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • nunimnunim Member

The new atoms look really nice, however they're still quite pricey and for the same money I'd much rather have an E-3. I know there's a German provider renting out the 8 core versions for something close to $60/mo.

• wychwych Member

Isnt this what OVH/SYS was basing the new Game servers off?

It is interesting the new codename, in Romanian, avorton means dead at birth...

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • wychwych Member

@Maounique said:

Made me chuckle - the atom is dead, long live the atom!

• @Maounique said:

I thought it was abortion (to terminate a pregnancy)

• MunMun Member

anyone have a rent to own option of this?

• marcmmarcm Member

said: Do you guys think they have a spot in the market in the $50 - $65 / month space?

I think that it's all about customer perception. It will take a while for them to be accepted. Also, I wonder how they will cope with serious virtualization demands. I think that their biggest advantage in that price niche ($50 ~ $65) is energy efficiency, because right now that market is mostly being served by old servers that are power hogs compared to these new Atoms.

Again, it's all about customer perception and acceptance. I wouldn't go crazy building a bunch of them at once, but rather a few at a time and see how they sell.

Just my two cents.

They will probably sell similarly to E3s, but will have to be lower in price, as the power cost for cooling and operating are not a concern for (most) customers, especially in US where power and gas are very cheap.

Virtovo said: I thought it was abortion (to terminate a pregnancy)

In romanian it is avort.

• These will really come into their own in the microcloud/xU cluster situation. They have double the performance/watt than an E3 and factoring cost can offer you better redundancy when speccing out a cloud. Obviously it doesn't make sense to run these in 1U chassis.

Yes, however, they are too pricey. In Eu it will probably work as people like the green/low power idea also the novelty, they also are 8 real cores, not hyperthreading, IIf Intel will lower the price, will do what OVH did, so they probably wont, I would like to see the ARM opteron, interesting times ahead.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

wych said: long live the atom!

<3

• sc754sc754 Member

Power costs are something to consider... but so is the price of the new hardware. You'd probably be better off buying some second hand X or L series Xeon's (which are almost on par performance wise) since they'll be much cheaper overall (hardware cost and power consumption cost).

• Such second hand Xeon X/L series are available for cheap in USA, not in EU.
    So while most US hosts probably won't pickup these Atoms, some EU hosts might. Actually, OVH already have.

The big draw on these Atoms from our POV is the power consumption. A 2750 with 32GB memory and a 1 TB HDD will use .25 AMPs at 120VAC. That's 1/6 of an E5520 for example.

• marcmmarcm Member

@jbiloh I think that with 64GB RAM and 8 x 256GB SSDs per node they should be real contenders in the low end market and relatively suitable for most applications. Half of an E3s performance isn't that bad after all. There are still providers out there running just fine on far less than that.

• @Maounique said:

;-)

• @Mun said:
    anyone have a rent to own option of this?

Sure. Me.

• @concerto49 said:
    Sure. Me.

Prices? ;-)

• catalystium said: Prices? ;-)

What exact specs?

Contact us at https://www.cloudshards.com/contact.php and we can provide some quotes.

• MunMun Member

What locations do you have?