Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What VPS specs do I need?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What VPS specs do I need?

n1kkon1kko Member

Need to host between 30-50 sites all php and a few with 10,000 + unique monthly visitors what would be an ideal spec VPS?

Will be running Centos with cPanel also

Comments

• jaakkajaakka Member
    edited April 2014

512M minimum, 20G disk . Preferably 1G KVM with decent specs from a reputable UK provider

• n1kkon1kko Member

Would XEN PV be ok?

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran

Where are your visitors mainly located? You might consider buying a VPS closest to your visitors location.

You should look at 1GB+ RAM VPS offers.

• 1GB ram cPanel to run everything smoothly. If you can go without cPanel then 256mb will be fine.

• It's depends on webserver (apache/nginx) & configs inside.
    I suggest for you minimum 512 Ram & 2 CPu (cause to much php)

• TheKillerTheKiller Member
    edited April 2014

jaakka said: 512M minimum, 20G disk . Preferably 1G KVM with decent specs from a reputable UK provider

What specs do you suggest for a site running esoftscript with 2500/day unique visitors without using cPanel? 20GB disk is enough.

• Ben_Ben_ Member

@linuxthefish
    256mb ram for 30-50 sites and few with 10,000 really? But Ramnode guy told me to buy 512mb ram vps for hosting just 5-6 wp site with only 400-500 visitors how can it's possible.

• jaakka said: 512M minimum, 20G disk . Preferably 1G KVM with decent specs from a reputable UK provider

dont forget ssd and doss protection

• @Ben_ said:
    linuxthefish
    256mb ram for 30-50 sites and few with 10,000 really? But Ramnode guy told me to buy 512mb ram vps for hosting just 5-6 wp site with only 400-500 visitors how can it's possible.

That's assuming you use Apache and MySQL unoptimized. Apache uses like 300mb ram just on it's own!

http://lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/

• n1kkon1kko Member

So will 1gb ram 2cpu do the job? Or would I be better with 2gb ram

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

snowfly1 said: dont forget ssd and doss protection

SSD...maybe. You can run huge sites without it, actually - depends how good the underlying IO is.

said: a few with 10,000 + unique monthly visitors

Depends on how those 10,000 come :-) 10,000 a month is only one every 5 minutes on a straight average basis. You could host that with any old shared hosting. I'm guessing you have higher concurrency though, which is what you really need to look at.

• @linuxthefish said:
    Apache uses like 300mb ram just on it's own!

What? How did you come up with that number?

@n1kko said:
    So will 1gb ram 2cpu do the job? Or would I be better with 2gb ram

Any decent 512MB out there would do the job.

• With cPanel, I'd say 1 GB.

• I would recommend at least 1 or 2GB of RAM.

Disk Space you need to make an estimate of how much the websites grow in content and get a VPS capable to hold the websites for a few months without requiring a disk upgrade on it.