Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low end US L2TP VPN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low end US L2TP VPN?

lpnlpn Member
edited April 2012 in General

I'm looking for a low end L2TP VPN in the US (ideally East Coast) for a light use (mostly youtube). I know that I can get a VPS, install whatever VPN on it, but I really don't feel like getting yet another VPS and I don't want to use any of the VPS's that I have for VPN.
I prefer L2TP/IPSec, but all I've seen are either SOCKS (say ramhost.us) or OpenVPN (I am trying to avoid that as the OpenVPN client seems to create issues with other software on my machine) or more expensive than what I am willing to pay ($30-40/yr).
So, have anybody seen reliable L2TP VPN in US within that price range?

Comments

• I used https://www.astrill.com/ in the past, works fine but is more expensive iirc.

• I can offer this via http://ezvpn.co.uk/

• lpnlpn Member
    edited April 2012

Thanks both, but these are are more expensive than what I am looking for; which is closer the ramhost's pricing.

• klikliklikli Member
    edited April 2012

hidemyass.com and strongvpn.com are both large VPN providers, and often they've got a VPS node that is just a few steps away from your home.

• @klikli said: and often they've got a VPS node that is just a few steps away from your home.

Hostigation CLT is 2-4ms from the first hop outside my house.

• lpnlpn Member

@klikli said: hidemyass.com and strongvpn.com are both large VPN providers, and often they've got a VPS node that is just a few steps away from your home.

I don't need node that is close to me. As I said in the original post I need one in the US to watch youtube (this implies that I am not in the US, otherwise I wouldn't have issues with youtube). This said, strongvpn.com has $55/yr plan, which is closer to what I am willing to pay than other providers, but is also PPTP, not L2TP.

• Do you know of anyone who does private PPTP Plans? (3-10 connections). I currently run a VPS for this but would like one less thing to manage.

• how many locations do you need? If its only 1 then pm me how much is your budget maybe i'll be willing to share my l2tp/ipsec vpn for a price. I use it for hulu/netflix on my iPad.

• lpnlpn Member

@HostBluff said:

Do you know of anyone who does private PPTP Plans? (3-10 connections). I currently run a VPS for this but would like one less thing to manage.

Looks like there is a demand for private VPNs.

I am trying to avoid the same thing -- managing yet another service, thus my question. Here is an idea for the VPS providers -- why don't they (the VPS providers) set a dedicated PPTP/L2TP box for a small fee for their customers only.

• @lpn said: Looks like there is a demand for private VPNs.

I am trying to avoid the same thing -- managing yet another service, thus my question. Here is an idea for the VPS providers -- why don't they (the VPS providers) set a dedicated PPTP/L2TP box for a small fee for their customers only.

I would love this. I know shared VPNs are great for bypassing content filters/country filters, however they are nothing more then glorified proxies.