Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reseller or VPS? Windows or Linux?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reseller or VPS? Windows or Linux?

EM5EM5 Member

I am planning to run a small software/download site and I am not a biggy to own a dedicated server or use CDNs for file serving. I want to start small. I don't have good experience running a site, though I have used shared hosting for a small site for years. I know basic Linux cmds and years of exposure (rather than experience). I am not in the range of sysadmins but also not at the level of a novice end user.

I want to know which is better to use for my DL site: vps or reseller hosting?

I am new to vps and though I have been acquiring knowledge related to it, my worry is whether the site could be hacked/abused by strangers (e.g attempts to login as root, does that happen often?). I have no expertise on linux firewalls/security.

As far as the requirements is concerned, it is very minimal; no database, no php (as of now), and mainly no email; just plain static serving.

What would you recommend me to go with:

1. Linux vps (my inclination)
  2. Windows vps
  3. CPanel reseller hosting

If vps, what web server to use:

1. nginx (easy to go with?)
  2. lighttpd
  3. cherokee (claims config is easy via its admin interface)
  4. Bauk.ws (claims a built-in serverside JS); Not maintained? Anybody's experience?
  5. What else

Thanks.

Comments

• In your case, I suggest you go with either cpanel hosting with a good company. Or you can look at amazon s3 static site hosting, which will be very reliable as well.

• Or you can go with managed vps. If you aren't comfortable with setting up vps, shared cpanel hosting seems fit you better.

• Mybe start with your budget first.

• 128Mb RAM vps with plenty of bandwidth
    • nginx
    • basic iptables setup
  • If the downloads you are providing are not heavy or don't violate the TOS of the company, you can go with Shared Hosting.

• Henrique
  • Get a small VPS to start with.