Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is It OK For A Provider To Force You To Write Good Comments About Them?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is It OK For A Provider To Force You To Write Good Comments About Them?

JeffreyJeffrey Member
edited April 2012 in General

So, recently I have made a comment on a forum about a certain web host and they have sent me a message basically telling me to say good things about them or they will say bad things about me. All I made was 1 little comment about them that honestly wasn't that bad. I cannot say what host did this because I don't want them saying bad things about my host either. Could you tolerate this issue?

Comments

• NickMNickM Member

I'd ditch any provider that did something as scummy as that.

Thanked by 2netomx Roph
  • It's not really OK to beg for reviews period, good or bad

• If you own a hosting company it is a good idea to not badmouth other ones. It will come back to bite you.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • CoreyCorey Member

If you are a provider you shouldn't have said anything about their services like that.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Corey said: If you are a provider you shouldn't have said anything about their services like that.

I don't agree with this. Being a hosting provider does not remove your ability to be a person.

• Providers shouldn't ask for any kind of reviews from anyone at anytime. Providers who threaten other people with bad reviews should be called out. Who was it?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@KuJoe said: I don't agree with this. Being a hosting provider does not remove your ability to be a person.

The hosting 'industry' needs to self check and keep the low lifes out. @Aldryic & I will flat out call a host a scam if they are one or have a very ugly past (see BreezeVPS or whatever they call themselves).

If you have a legitimate complaint then it should be voiced. One thing I wish vanilla supported was hiding/etc your sig in a post like vbulletin/etc.

Francisco

• @miTgiB said: It's not really OK to beg for reviews period, good or bad

Unless your HostBluff.
    /derail

• tommytommy Member
    edited April 2012

big NO. If customer satisfied with your service they will write review them self. No need to beg or paying customer to write reviews.

• Hey at @subigo I fear them saying bad things about my host if I call them out, they are a rather large VPS provider. That is all I can say

• If anyone wants to see the PM, here it is.. I have blacklisted some stuff on it that shows proof who it is and hints to where to find the comment.

Host: So is there a reason that you tried to make us look bad on forumhere?

Me: Personal experience and reviews on here.

Host: 95% of the reviews on here are good. You dont see me going around out of my way to make you look bad. I expect the same from you.

Me: Yep, sure thing.

• @Jeffrey said: they are a rather large VPS provider.

I doubt they are as large as you think if they are pulling this kind of crap

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

No, that's bad. In the other hand, BuyVM rocks!

(@Aldryic, can you unban me? I have put good review)

hahaha jk

• laaevlaaev Member

@Jeffrey said: Hey at @subigo I fear them saying bad things about my host if I call them out, they are a rather large VPS provider. That is all I can say

Would it be HostBluff? They are known to engage in similar shady tactics and the saddest part is they are proud of doing it

• @miTgiB You would actually be surprised to know who it is. It will totally shock you.

• @FTN_Kevin said: Would it be HostBluff? They are known to engage in similar shady tactics and the saddest part is they are proud of doing it

No, we dont require good reviews but this is not a bad idea. I wonder who the host is so we can consult with them

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited April 2012

@HostBluff said: I wonder who the host is so we can consult with them

And feature them in your blog, just like you did with HostRail.. ha!

On a serious note, I am curious to find out who this provider is, can you PM me @Jeffrey ?

• JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited April 2012

@HostBluff trust me, I would be more than glad to share with you who the host is, that would be total revenge to get them on your blog! However, for the time being, I will keep it to myself and with people I trust that won't spread who exactly it is for my own safety.

• @Jeffrey said: Host: So is there a reason that you tried to make us look bad on forumhere?

Me: Personal experience and reviews on here.

Host: 95% of the reviews on here are good. You dont see me going around out of my way to make you look bad. I expect the same from you.

Me: Yep, sure thing.

Ahaha... that wording is very familiar. Willing to bet I know who that is... rather tempted to PM you and ask to sate my curiosity :P

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Does it start with a Burst and end with a .net?

• @KuJoe Nope, but the host does have a .net domain extension. @Aldryic Feel free to PM me about it. :)

• laaevlaaev Member

Does it start with C?

• @KuJoe said: Does it start with a Burst and end with a .net?

I doubt Burst would hide in PM, they would be front and center calling him out

• @KuJoe said: Does it start with a Burst and end with a .net?

>

No, Burst would not stoop this low.

@KuJoe said: Does it start with a Burst and end with a .net?

Burst wears their bad reviews/trash talk as an armour :)

Francisco

• DerekDerek Member
    edited April 2012

@Jeffrey said: However, for the time being, I will keep it to myself and with people I trust that won't spread who exactly it is for my own safety.

Get on LEB IRC and talk to us.

On a serious note, I would report that forum message and if they are making threats, do one back by making a image of the post and paste it on WHT to call them out.

You have everyone looking at your comments now, lol

• @Derek Apparently the host that got mad at me is already banned on WHT.. Go figure. LOL

@Jeffrey said: @Derek Apparently the host that got mad at me is already banned on WHT.. Go figure. LOL

Yea but it doesn't stop their partners from shilling them. If the mods can find any sort of connection they're done for.

Francisco

• Breaking NEWS!

I have just gotten a response from the host:

Host: Lol. sure thing tough guy

• Said host is severely overprotective of his reputation here (primarily because of the ban from WHT). I say tear into him if you like... his shills might stand up for him here, but the rest of the community is on your side :P