Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Behold the Wable! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Behold the Wable!

Comments

• chaufferchauffer Member
    edited April 2014

W1V_Lee said: That name though.. :)

Vultr, Wable, looks like at this part of the year hosts have shitty names

• Eh, the man can always rename it when it is out of testing if he is unhappy. :P

Thanked by 1SpeedyKVM
  • Any IPv6?

• Incero said: Sad to see you becoming a troll. :(

I'm not intending to come off as a troll. I just know that a lot of card processors want their customers to sign an NDA to not disclose processing fees.

Thanked by 1SpeedyKVM
  • @chauffer said:
    Vultr, Wable, looks like at this part of the year hosts have shitty names

Nope, it's a delicious name. I always want waffles everytime I open this thread.

Thanked by 1SpeedyKVM
  • DalComp said: waffles

Hahaha that's waffles, I want it too

Thanked by 1SpeedyKVM
  • SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

If waffles.com was available I'd totally use it. :)

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Incero said: If waffles.com was available I'd totally use it. :)

But then you'd get so much music downloaded with your service. /s

• ParallaxParallax Member
    edited April 2014

No Bittorrent, that's a shame as pretty much all your competitors in this space allow it. It's obviously totally your choice to do this, but I'm going to have to stick with DigitalOcean/Vultr. It doesn't hurt that they're on KVM and not OpenVZ, either.

Thanked by 2Gunter Mark_R
  • SatelliteSatellite Member
    edited April 2014

The restrictions like no BitTorrent and severely crippled SMTP had me lose interest immediately. Not really a fan of a host that treats you like a criminal before you've even done anything wrong.

Can you please explain why we should use your service when there are several other VPS providers who offer similar prices with none of the restrictions?

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • @Satellite
    I'm pretty sure both frequent abuse problems in a VPS environment and abuse management reduces his margins. ;)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Incero is taking abuse very seriously, they threaten to impose 250$ fines for spam if you dont clean the IPs.
    It is their choice, abuse costs a lot and might not be worth it dealing with the consequences afterwards. Also, the people which are using illegal torrents are likely to abuse in other areas too, so they simply opted out of it, offering the service only to business or developers. That, again, is their choice, I am sure they know their trade and did the calculation before. There are plenty of hosts that allow "email marketing" and illegal torrenting, so not a question of scarcity of offers.

• SatelliteSatellite Member
    edited April 2014

@Abydon If that were the case, his rivals mentioned in this thread and elsewhere (Vultr, DigitalOcean, et al) would have the same restrictions in their TOS. Vultr used to have an SMTP authorization form but they're in the process of opening up their SMTP ports due to customer response from LET and elsewhere.

That still doesn't answer my question re: why I should choose his service over others. I've been using VPSes with (legal) BitTorrent and (non-spam) SMTP services for years and years and I have yet to have a single abuse complaint sent my way. Sure, that's anecdotal but the implication that BitTorrent/SMTP = automatic abuse is silly.

I was in the process of signing up for an account before I saw those in the terms.

If you are a business, developer, you would choose a host which is tough on abuse, you do not want your range to be blacklisted or service be interrupted due to raids and hardware seizing as well as port being saturated at times.

Thanked by 2ryanarp tchen
  • It's possible to be tough on abuse without banning entire protocols wholesale :)

• @Incero WIll you accept soon clients from Greece? Also, you say "Deploy up to 2 Servers, or allocate more resources to less servers". Is that mean that I can have two servers 1GB RAM each in the small plan, or either 1 with 1GB or 2 with 512MB ram?

• @Satellite said:
    Abydon If that were the case, his rivals mentioned in this thread and elsewhere (Vultr, DigitalOcean, et al) would have the same restrictions in their TOS. Vultr used to have an SMTP authorization form but they're in the process of opening up their SMTP ports due to customer response from LET and elsewhere.

He is charging 40% less than DO and 15% less than Vultr. xD That probably has a noticable effect on his willingness to be accommodating vs. them.

That still doesn't answer my question re: why I should choose his service over others. I've been using VPSes with (legal) BitTorrent and (non-spam) SMTP services for years and years and I have yet to have a single abuse complaint sent my way. Sure, that's anecdotal but the implication that BitTorrent/SMTP = automatic abuse is silly.

I never said it was everyone. I said allowing it leads to frequent abuse problems.

• Abydon said: He is charging 40% less than DO and 15% less than Vultr. xD That probably has a noticable effect on his willingness to be accommodating vs. them.

That's fair. Just a little disappointing that I won't be able to make use of this service. The prices are quite good.

• @Satellite said:

All things in life are tradeoffs. No perfect solutions xD

Low price already means a risk for abuse, liberal policies regarding protocols and behaviour will mean all income goes on mitigating abuse and lawyers. It aint gonna work, this is why you cant have both rock bottom prices and liberal policies in the same time for long.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • DylanDylan Member

@Rallias said:
    I'm not intending to come off as a troll. I just know that a lot of card processors want their customers to sign an NDA to not disclose processing fees.

I coordinate multi-million-dollar processing volumes at my day job and have never once seen a clause like that with any of the (many) processors we've worked with (including Stripe).

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

@jvnadr said:
    Also, you say "Deploy up to 2 Servers, or allocate more resources to less servers". Is that mean that I can have two servers 1GB RAM each in the small plan, or either 1 with 1GB or 2 with 512MB ram?

The small plan goes as follows, you can have 2 with 512MB ram or if you would like you can even do one with 256MB RAM and one with 768MB RAM. The resources can be split anyway you would like and doesn't have to be split equally.

dat ipv4, only now i noticed...

• Maounique said: dat ipv4, only

I questioned the existence of IPv6. No reply. No existence.

@darknyan said:
    I questioned the existence of IPv6. No reply. No existence.

Sorry if I missed a ticket from you, I think we've replied to all tickets to [email protected]. IPV6 is ComingSoon*TM. Kindly give us a couple of weeks to see how we're doing with fraud prevention before we open up other avenues of abuse (ipv6 based spam etc).

Of course we will add ipv6 soon. :-)

Gordon

@Satellite said:

Whats the limiting factor for you? Are you looking to host a mailing list? If so, we just don't allow it and that wont change. We spend a TON of time keeping our network reputation (abuse wise) pristine, we're not going to change that for a few extra bucks. If you just need mass mail hosting there are services for that like amazons mailing service etc.

If you just need email hosting for your ecommerce store transactions, a forum (reply updates etc), then that's not a problem at all.

Hopefully you will keep us in mind for non-mass-mailing activities.

@jvnadr said:
    Incero WIll you accept soon clients from Greece? Also, you say "Deploy up to 2 Servers, or allocate more resources to less servers". Is that mean that I can have two servers 1GB RAM each in the small plan, or either 1 with 1GB or 2 with 512MB ram?

Yes, we are opening to all countries within 7 days. Thanks @jvnadr

@amarc @DalComp @sirmbhe @introducial @sleddog @jvnadr you wanted more countries to be supported or to get rid of the phone verification. This has now been completed with the addition of PayPal.

Here are your payment options:

NEW Pay with verified PayPal account. You must make payments each time an amount is due. Supported for: All countries!

OR

Verify your phone, and pay use directly with credit or debit card. You will be billed automatically each month. Supported for: USA/CA, Australia, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Israel, New Zealand, Spain, Sweden, UK

I think I've addressed everyone's concerns now, but if I missed something just let me know. Thanks!

• Nice, will try someday. Too many vps now.

Thanked by 1SpeedyKVM

@amarc said:
    Incero is it possible to add some templates that are not there? I mean.. this is 50% why I hate OpenVZ.. You get your server with OS that is full of preinstalled crap :/. For example Daniel Robbins's Funtoo http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/funtoo/funtoo-stable/x86-64bit/generic_64/

Absolutely. What are your criteria for trusting a template though? How are you verifying that they haven't injected malicious code into the template? Or do you just go on a whim? Is there an industry standard/accepted list of publishers?

I think if we can figure out who the community trusts, then we can add more easily.