Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is IPv6 only server safer?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is IPv6 only server safer?

halczyhalczy Member
edited April 2014 in Help

I'm not a big security expert, just wondering if I have a database server (no public IPv4 address) that only uses IPv6 to communicate with the web servers. Will that prevent a lot of the attacks on the database server? Since a lot of attacks and exploits are IPv4 based.

Comments

• ATHKATHK Member

I would say .. No no it's not, it's fair to say IPv6 isn't hit as much as IPv4 but honestly if someone guesses the IP and starts brute forcing.. You know what could potentially happen there.

Thanked by 1halczy
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2014

It will definitely be better. However, it will not be safe completely, just another layer of security. An attempt to find an IPv6 in use by going at random is hilarious at best.

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2014

I bet that the percentage of improperly configured (firewalled) ipv6 servers is higher than the percentage of improperly configured (firewalled) ipv4 servers.

I mean while most people have learned to use iptables, many still haven't found out about ip6tables.

Thanked by 1Maounique