Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 subnets at OVH
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 subnets at OVH

Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
edited April 2014 in Help

Hi, a /64 is allocated by default to every server at OVH, but is it possible to order additional /64 subnets? Thank you

Comments

• They're allocated by default.

• @Sander said:
    They're allocated by default.

Didn't really answer his question. OT: I'm not sure. Would say contact support but you'd be waiting a lifetime for a response from OVH.

• NickMNickM Member

I'm not an OVH customer, but I've been told by numerous sources that they won't give out more than a /64 per dedicated server.

• @DDoSHost said:
    Didn't really answer his question. OT: I'm not sure. Would say contact support but you'd be waiting a lifetime for a response from OVH.

I answered the part that I know. OVH is not giving you really late replies. It's maximum 1 day or something. If you want to hurry then pick up your phone and dial their Toll-FREE number.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited April 2014

Nope, you are only allowed to get the /64 that is set for that box. Source: OVH support around 7-8 months ago. I was arguing about getting a "proper" /48 but got no where with it. System is not setup to allocate further blocks of IPv6 to machines. Each machine is tied to a /64 specifically.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • W3HostW3Host Member
    edited April 2014

@Sander said:
    I answered the part that I know. OVH is not giving you really late replies. It's maximum 1 day or something. If you want to hurry then pick up your phone and dial their Toll-FREE number.
    @Sander said:

Speaking to your sales representative we both agreed that the support is very poor even with PRO support. Currently I'm on for 100% compensation... I'm sure they'll find a way to not pay me if though, haha. I'm in no hurry, just don't expect almost 29 hours for a first reply.

• I already got the answer & OVH support said it is not possible :(

• @NickM said:
    I'm not an OVH customer, but I've been told by numerous sources that they won't give out more than a /64 per dedicated server.

And I have been told by numerous sources that HostGuard is good but you cannot assign less than a/64 IPv6 subnet to the VMs :(

• @K2Bytes said:
    I already got the answer & OVH support said it is not possible :(

My understanding is if you have your own block, they will announce for a fee..

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited April 2014

@Jack said:

When was this changed roughly? If you're unsure, that's not a problem.

• Do you have one of the new line of servers or the older ones? I'm wondering if I can make them grandfather it :) lol I'm bad. But they did say I could in a ticket, I'm almost positive.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2014

@Jack @MCHPhil they are still offering announce (two weeks ago), at least for colo customers.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Jack said:
    To colo you've got to be french?

No, they accept Spanish customers just fine so I suppose it's the same for Western/Central Europe at least.

• SanderSander Member
    edited April 2014

@DDoSHost said:
    Speaking to your sales representative we both agreed that the support is very poor even with PRO support. Currently I'm on for 100% compensation... I'm sure they'll find a way to not pay me if though, haha. I'm in no hurry, just don't expect almost 29 hours for a first reply.

Wow. However, I'm not experienced that much yet.

• W3HostW3Host Member
    edited April 2014

@Sander said:
    Wow. However, I'm not experienced that much yet.

Still waiting. Cannot believe this. Surely I'm on for 100%... I have three pending orders with no IPs. Shocking.

• NickMNickM Member

@K2Bytes said:
    And I have been told by numerous sources that HostGuard is good but you cannot assign less than a/64 IPv6 subnet to the VMs :(

Assigning anything smaller than a /64 per VM is just plain wrong. It's possible to do, but it fundamentally breaks parts of IPv6. Personally, I don't think we should be promoting broken IPv6 implementations, but I am looking into how we can support smaller subnets of IPv6, because it's been requested by numerous people. The main issue standing in the way is that it will require a pretty big rewrite of our IP address handling code.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited April 2014

@NickM said:
    Assigning anything smaller than a /64 per VM is just plain wrong. It's possible to do, but it fundamentally breaks parts of IPv6. Personally, I don't think we should be promoting broken IPv6 implementations, but I am looking into how we can support smaller subnets of IPv6, because it's been requested by numerous people. The main issue standing in the way is that it will require a pretty big rewrite of our IP address handling code.

Thank you for looking into it, this is the only thing holding me back from moving to your offering. As we have spoke in private this is a deal breaker for my customers and I. Though I should still have the auto pay setup for my license or two. I can't remember how many I got.

• NickMNickM Member

MCHPhil said: Thank you for looking into it, this is the only thing holding me back from moving to your offering. As we have spoke in private this is a deal breaker for my customers and I. Though I should still have the auto pay setup for my license or two. I can't remember how many I got.

I will see what I can do to get it into our 1.2 release (which is already way behind schedule, but we really want 1.2 to stand out, so we're taking our time). We appreciate the support!

Thanked by 1MCHPhil