Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where do you get your hard drives?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where do you get your hard drives?

taiprestaipres Member
edited April 2012 in General

This is directed more at providers since hardware is part of their business and i'm sure they get good deals somewhere, but all are welcomed. I get mine from newegg, but they're not really ideal for bulk buys, but I am happy to see HD prices seem to be lowering finally :) I'm looking for space in particular, not really concerned with speed. TIA.

Comments

• The hard drive fairy, that is the only place to get the unlimited drive space.

Thanked by 1Roph
  • @miTgiB said: The hard drive fairy, that is the only place to get the unlimited drive space.

That's hardly helpful, and I don't want unlimited I want good prices on decent size drives, 500GB-1TB would be ideal. It's time I put BuyVM out of business.

• @taipres said: t's time I put BuyVM out of business.

We use 1,5T and 2T drives. You'd better have a lot of cash to pony up on hardware if you want to even have a standing, let alone compete, in this market.

• @Aldryic said: We use 1,5T and 2T drives. You'd better have a lot of cash to pony up on hardware if you want to even have a standing, let alone compete, in this market.

We've invested close to $10k in the hardware we do own, I shudder to think of what you guys have spent...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

We get some off ebay when the warranty is still long enough.

If you're good enough at bargaining you can usually snag drives well under market value. I picked up 48 1.5TB's off a guy at the peak of the flood prices and i paid $65/ea. All with plenty of warranty left.

Francisco

@BlueVM said: We've invested close to $10k in the hardware we do own, I shudder to think of what you guys have spent...

I still cry.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: I still cry.

My wallet often feels like someone took a sniper rifle to it, then proceeded to light it on fire.

• The same place anyone near Kansas City gets their hard drives, Micro Center.

• @taipres said: It's time I put BuyVM out of business.

BuyVM or not, you don't walk into this market with no reputation and put anyone out of business. People want VPS that are geographically diverse, so BuyVM can't even touch the majority of consumers out there as they do not fill the need. Clients also like to spread their eggs across many providers even when that provider has multiple locations to choose from. I know from your previous posts you are not exactly thrilled with them, and if you are planning to get into the market with hurting others, you stand little chance of success. Know what is going on in your market, but frankly, I don't really pay attention to what others are doing, my time is best spent providing the customers that choose to pay me the best experience I can give them.

@taipres said: 500GB-1TB would be ideal.

Honestly I use all 500gb drives in my OpenVZ nodes and have never run short on space, but my build is based on small nodes deployed quick and cheap. Where do I shop? NewEgg, SuperBiiz, Amazon, eBay, or anyplace else I find a good deal that day

• @miTgiB said: Honestly I use all 500gb drives in my OpenVZ nodes and have never run short on space, but my build is based on small nodes deployed quick and cheap. Where do I shop? NewEgg, SuperBiiz, Amazon, eBay, or anyplace else I find a good deal that day

I have one node with usage over 500 GB, so I can agree with that. You'll run out of IP space long before you run outa disk. If you want "the best" go for 4x500 GB for RAID10 and you'll never run out unless you put 500 people on a node.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited April 2012

@Aldryic said: We use 1,5T and 2T drives. You'd better have a lot of cash to pony up on hardware if you want to even have a standing, let alone compete, in this market.

@BlueVM that's a nice chunk of change, I thought you were a reseller for some reason.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited April 2012

@BlueVM said: I have one node with usage over 500 GB, so I can agree with that. You'll run out of IP space long before you run outa disk. If you want "the best" go for 4x500 GB for RAID10 and you'll never run out unless you put 500 people on a node.

I'm not going to run out of IP space anytime soon, that is for sure, and all my nodes are raid10 with about 900gb for /vz

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited April 2012

@taipres said: that's a nice chunk of change, I thought you were a reseller to be honest.

We're about 50/50 at the moment... trying to go 100% our hardware.

@miTgiB said: I'm not going to run out of IP space anytime soon, that is for sure, and all my nodes are raid10

I mean per node... either way usually the limiting factor for providers in order is: IP Space, Disk I/O, CPU, Bandwidth, RAM, Disk Space

@mitgib - You've been lucky with drives then. We originally rolled with 2TB (8 x 500G) in each node and we were running out =\ We then moved to 4 x 2TB's but we didn't have enough performance to keep up with things so off we went to 8 x 1.5's.

2TB's are still far too high in price considering i'm doing 1.5's for $65-$70/ea.

Francisco

• @BlueVM said: If you want "the best" go for 4x500 GB for RAID10 and you'll never run out unless you put 500 people on a node.

Doesn't that imply actual oversell, though? (the actual definition of the term) If you only have 2T of space, you either have to sell more HDD than you actually have, or put so few people on a hardware node that you're in the red <_<

• @Aldryic said: We use 1,5T and 2T drives. You'd better have a lot of cash to pony up on hardware if you want to even have a standing, let alone compete, in this market.

Nah. You can rent servers for just a tiny bit more (and I'd argue less) than what it would cost to build one and colo it for three years. And you never have to worry about extra hardware for failures or selling off the server in a few years when you have to migrate to something better. It just depends on the datacenter.

• @Francisco said: You've been lucky with drives then. We originally rolled with 2TB (8 x 500G) in each node and we were running out =\ We then moved to 4 x 2TB's but we didn't have enough performance to keep up with things so off we went to 8 x 1.5's.

What do you have 64 GB of RAM and 32 Cores Per Machine or something? Either that or you host the largest torrent enterprise on the planet.

• @subigo - true enough. Difference of business philosophy, I suppose; we prefer to actually own all of our hardware, rather than take any risk of it being yanked out from under us (or have other issues)

• @BlueVM said: What do you have 64 GB of RAM and 32 Cores Per Machine or something? Either that or you host the largest torrent enterprise on the planet.

Nah, we're just generous with the plans, and refuse to overcommit. (inb4maounique)

@BlueVM said: What do you have 64 GB of RAM and 32 Cores Per Machine or something? Either that or you host the largest torrent enterprise on the planet.

48GB, 16 cores. Going with 1.5's weren't 'that' much more than 1TB's so we just wanted to buffer there. While it's not a super common thing, we do have users that buy lots of additional space.

From what I gather, a bunch of the 'big' space users moved onwards to the storage plans we offer when they're in stock.

@subigo - I've seen limestone give some nutty deals and unreasonable amounts of 'grace' on bills. Hostrail was a prime example of that. Rumours are that they're getting much tighter on things and not giving people a month to settle up though.

Francisco

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited April 2012

@miTgiB said: BuyVM or not, you don't walk into this market with no reputation and put anyone out of business.

VPS6 just put together a nice machine

• 2x Xeon L5645 CPUs (24 HT Cores)
    • 72gb ECC-certified DDR3 RAM
    • 16x RAID60 10k SAS Disks

Puts BuyVM hardware to shame i'm sure. And wait a minute, isn't VPS6 new to the low end space? YUP

• @Aldryic said: oesn't that imply actual oversell, though? (the actual definition of the term) If you only have 2T of space, you either have to sell more HDD than you actually have, or put so few people on a hardware node that you're in the red <_<

Hard disk wise not really. We have at most 100 clients on our biggest node (which has 4x1TB). Our plans range up and even if we put 100 of our base clients on at node full disk usage would be 1000 GB.

• @Francisco said: 2TB's are still far too high in price considering i'm doing 1.5's for $65-$70/ea.

All the new KVM nodes I just put up in LA have 2tb drives since NewEgg had a $120 deal on em a few weeks back, and I've used almost always used a larger drive for KVM. Now if I could just get my power run to the cabinet. OpenVZ I think I'm a bit higher on power consumption than you are, at 1.6A per 2 nodes which has about the same capacity as your 5520 nodes. I am not as generous with disk space either, but I don't hear much fuss about it.

• Fair enough. Was more a question than accusation, sorry if it seemed that way :P I'm in the midst of writing the smarty page for our TOS/AUP update, so I didn't have a chance to do the math on your plans :P

• @Aldryic said: @subigo - true enough. Difference of business philosophy, I suppose; we prefer to actually own all of our hardware, rather than take any risk of it being yanked out from under us (or have other issues)

I thought you guys were all based in Canada or something? Are any of you in the U.S.? Putting hardware that I own in a U.S. based datacenter is not something I would want to mess with if I didn't live here.

@taipres said: Puts BuyVM hardware to shame i'm sure. And wait a minute, isn't VPS6 new to the low end space? YUP

Didn't I make a comment a thread or so ago saying we weren't the top for gear? o_O Fairly sure it's Inception that's using E3 1270's that will bench higher than our 16 cores. We need the core count though. You're a terrible at trolling, boss, comeon :)

@mitgib - Our's are doing around 1.7A with 8 drives and the likes. You'll usually find that RAM is what gobbles your power (I know it did on our L5420's)

Francisco

@subigo said: I thought you guys were all based in Canada or something? Are any of you in the U.S.? Putting hardware that I own in a U.S. based datacenter is not something I would want to mess with if I didn't live here.

Only i'm a canuck, the rest just dream of being one. The rest are all in the US with our onsite guy actually working a full time job inside Coresite :)

Francisco

• @subigo said: I thought you guys were all based in Canada or something? Are any of you in the U.S.? Putting hardware that I own in a U.S. based datacenter is not something I would want to mess with if I didn't live here.

To clarify:

@Francisco - Victoria, BC
    Anthony - Florida
    Karen - Georgia
    Dilt, Myself - Louisiana
    Matt - San Jose/Freemont

• @taipres said: VPS6 just put together a nice machine

This is not Field of Dreams, build it and they will come. That is a single node. I build 4 nodes a month, every month, and seem to sell all the stock within a week of putting it out there, so I constantly hear when will there be stock, just not as loudly as I see them chant for BuyVM. I'd love to build more, but I only have about $5k free to grow with each month.

• Maybe make them wait longer? :P