Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Liquid Solutions - mostly good, but one HUGE problem
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Liquid Solutions - mostly good, but one HUGE problem

After having had a truly horrible experience with UniqueGeek, I went looking for another VPS provider. My requirements are very basic - a simple website and email (which is critically important for business purposes) - and I did not want to spend a fortune for the service. After some searching, I settled on Liquid Solutions.

The Good:

• The price is excellent
  • Stability is very good - only one brief outage since signing up mid-January
  • Alex is relatively responsive - takes a day, but he usually replies. He also cares about his customers and offered to extend my service period, change my server, etc.

The Very Bad:

• I opted for the Chicago server. This server is provided by ColoCrossing and I think this is the problem. When I first asked to get rDNS set-up, it took two weeks for this trivially simple request to be honored. Sadly, the problems do not end here. As far as I can tell, ColoCrossing has not configured the server properly - they seem to have assigned dynamic IP addresses or some such. For this reason, certain email systems reject my emails because the entire subnet is blacklisted. I have sent repeated emails to LiquidSolutions and ColoCrossing, and have yet to receive a reply.

Unlike some of the pros here, for me, setting up a server takes a lot of time. I really don't want to move, but I am not sure how to motivate LiquidSolutions and/or ColoCrossing into fixing this problem. I suspect that the fix is quite simple and for some unknown reason (laziness?) they just refuse to attend to this matter.

In summary: LiquidSolutions is basically okay but stay away from their Chicago server. ColoCrossing does not respond to customer issues and should probably be avoided.

Comments

• @groston said:

ColoCrossing does not respond to customer issues and should probably be avoided.

Did you purchase the service through LS or CC? IF you purchased through LS, why would CC reply to any requests made from you?

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited April 2014

@groston - You can PM me your IP # and I'll see if it is something obvious.

I would also suggest using a "smart host" to relay your outbound mail through.

EDIT: This is not really Liquid Solutions or C/C's problem. This is an issue you should be able to resolve yourself, or with a little help from the community.

• Stay far away from ColoCrossing as possible :)

• UniqueGeek after under ChicagoVPS control VPS is slow..i have one vps at UniqueGeek
    before is fast now is slow ..never buy again vps under ChicagoVPS control or server

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Want email fast? Use vestaCP

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

So basically you have a block which is blacklisted?

• wychwych Member

@Infinity said:
    So basically you have a block which is blacklisted?

Are most of Colocrossings IP Blocks not blacklisted?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@wych said:
    Are most of Colocrossings IP Blocks not blacklisted?

I don't really know but it seems to be a bit of a trend that ColoCrossing has blacklisted IP's. Alex likely didn't respond because there was nothing he could say about the issue if he could not unblacklist the IP's himself.

@Alex_LiquidHost

• wychwych Member

@Infinity said:
    Alex_LiquidHost

Makes sense; when they refused to assign me clean ranges I just upped and left CC.

• CC itself is blacklisted, so does whole block.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited April 2014

Ah, I remember this issue. This was some blacklisting, which I couldn't even figure out what exactly it meant. Can you please provide me with a ticket ID, so I can check it out again, as this is slipping my mind at the moment.

The rDNS issue was indeed something that was not my fault. If I recall correctly, the rDNS delegation was not set up correctly. We do not manage the rDNS of the IPs and is all done via their panel. I think they did not set up their correct nameservers for that block, which was brand new, back then. Other than that, nothing bad to say about CC.

About not receiving reply, where did you send those emails to? (For my company)
    I can see a couple of tickets in the backlog, however your issue doesen't seem to be on there?

• @Jeffrey said:
    Stay far away from ColoCrossing as possible :)

Right... because?

@groston: contacting ColoCrossing is probably not going to get you a response. LiquidHost should respond to your request. They are not ColoCrossing but a registered company in Bulgaria. They just get their servers from ColoCrossing. They should be able to contact ColoCrossing on your behalf to get this resolved.

Also, I doubt anybody configured the server to do something with "dynamic IPs". It's a SolusVM-based setup, so your server has a static IP. If it doesn't work, it has probably something to do with your setup.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Found the email. It was sent 11 days ago and ended up in my spam folder.

Seems like a whole /17 is blacklisted. I've already contacted the 3 blacklists, back when you first opened the ticket. I have not received a single response from any of them and it probably is understandable, considering that my subnet is a part of much larger once, that are blacklisted.

• wychwych Member

@Alex_LiquidHost said:

Seems like a whole /17 is blacklisted. I've already contacted the 3 blacklists, back when you first opened the ticket. I have not received a single response from any of them and it probably is understandable, considering that my subnet is a part of much larger once, that are blacklisted.

Blanket Blacklisting - can I coin that term?

• @Alex_LiquidHost said:

CC will probably have to contact the blacklist themselves.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Use mandrill for mail, we do and is good, unless you need to send more than 12k a month, even so is very cheap.
    No matter what people say, having the whole subnet blacklisted in multiple lists is not something that helps making a good reputation.
    Granted, spamhaus does blanket blacklists out of spite and probably others, but being on the blacklists for so long, having people offering 5 IPs with a server from there for pennies, does seem like something is wrong under the hood, I guess anyone will have to agree on that.

• Zen said: I'm wondering if you'll ever put an explanation behind that comment, you seem to make it on almost every CC related thread ;)

I'm just basing what I said based on everyone's experience with them here, and mine also. ;)

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited April 2014

The email issue was resolved with the OP by PM yesterday morning.
    He reported that his email was working fine at that time.
    @Alex_LiquidHost - The IP had been dropped off two blacklist and was only on SPAMCANNIBAL as of yesterday.
    Right as usual @Maounique , using some kind of outbound mail relay is the best way to avoid this whole issue

• I had vps w/ weloveservers who uses colocrossing. Chris from WLS is great but cc network isnt working right all the time and WLS kindda ... ignores the network issue.

• grostongroston Member
    edited April 2014

All,

My apologies for not having responded to everyone's helpful comments sooner - I appreciate the help and suggestions.

Alex,

Thank you for pursuing, and apparently resolving, this matter (though the IP still seems to be listed on SPAMCANNIBAL). As noted in my original posting, you do seem to care about your customers. Hopefully others will have noted this as well.

• wychwych Member

@Zen said:
    My guess is you've never had a proper account with CC and really can't make a judgement over their service for other providers.

If they cleaned their ranges I would have no issues; just sayin' my own experience.

• Zen said: I can think of tons of providers using CC but I can't think of any that actively complain.

Who would actively complain about CC on a CC forum? Just saying :p

• Jack said: Me

We're waiting to hear it. Go on.

• If you want to discuss ColoCrossing, open a new thread please :-)

This discussion has been closed.