Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Running a PANEL seperately from your DNS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Running a PANEL seperately from your DNS

Hi,

I've got 2x PDNS DNS servers doing DNS.

I'd like to do a web panel on an additional VPS where I intend to host my sites, for wordpress / email / whatever else config.

Would it be possible to still do this and keep the DNS separate or can these types of panels configure DNS remotely?

How is it usually done? DNS + Panel on one box or can one separate them?

Thanks!

Comments

• Maybe VestaCP will do. It uses bind9.

• Yep, you can do it with cPanel, Vesta or any other panel. On the server where you will be hosting the site or email, tell the new panel where the DNS name server is for your domains, that's all. All the DNS resolutions will be handle by your PDNS servers. Your new box will simply be either hosting the site, accepting emails or whatever other service you setup.

• if you go with cpanel/whm you can have your primary server hosting your sites etc and one of your DNS servers and you can get free whm dnsonly to run on your second server. you swap keys on teh servers - setup whm dnsonly to accept changes only and from then on its pretty much automatic. the whm dnsonly server really doesnt like any thing else being installed on it though. i have a whm dnsonly server with 100gb storage and itll only ever use about 5gb.

• Thanks - Is anyone doing this with Webuzo?

I'm trialing their panel and upon install I got asked to enter my NS records, which I did.

However whenever I create a new domain Webuzo just sets all the records to its own hosts IP.

Do I just ignore those and proceed to manually create them in PowerDNS? I assume there's no issue with this as the domain itself will point to PowerDNS for DNS?

Thanks,

• sounds about right...