Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on using a server from Awknet?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Advice on using a server from Awknet?

AsuraHostingAsuraHosting Member
edited April 2012 in General

Hey guys, I recently got this server from Awknet (Most major letdown of the entire year); and it's just been a nightmare for me. Everytime I get hit with a DDOS, which on the SolusVM chart goes to about 1-2mb/s... the whole IP block gets shut down. Yes, whole IP block gets shut off; as if they null-route the whole IP block. Does anyone got any advice on how to use these guys and their "ddos mitigation" properly? They don't respond to tickets for half a day... sometimes if I'm lucky, I get a response in 3-6 hours.

Seriously, I don't expect much at this point. I ordered a server with an e3-1230 with 4x500gb on RAID 10 with a 1gbit port; and got a e3-1220 with 4x1tb on a card which provides "10E" giving poor disk IO performance with a 100mbit port. Then they tell me that CentOS 6.2 does not allow them to create a custom partition, so when I requested a re-install; they basically told me to f off and install it myself on IPMI with no network info given.

Comments

• flyfly Member

haha awknet.

• How often do you get hit by a ddos attack

• haha Awknet. I wouldn't get a server at Awknet tbh.

• @kbar - Yeah, I would find it funny from a 3rd person's perspective as well. Any thoughts on Staminus?

@BassHost - Quite often now, everyday. Got hit about 8 times just today; and Awknet told me that they can turn off their mitigation if I wanted to and stopped responding after that.

@TheHackBox - Any suggestions then?

• JacobJacob Member

8 Times a day, I would start by questioning the type of customers you attract.

• @Jacob - Just private gaming servers; kids rage and hit them off. I've managed to migrate all the DDOS prone to the supposed DDOS protected server, and I'm having problems with Awknet's near non-existent support...

• @AsuraHosting said: Any suggestions then?

Snel in the Netherlands?

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2012

Move to IOFlood, Gabriel is a good guy and helped me a few times when I was stuck.

They have positive reviews everywhere and I am sure they can assist you with the attacks.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • @Jacob - What do they do in the event of an attack?

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

What kind of attack you get so many time per day?

• @prometeus - I'm guessing UDP/TCP flood; and there's the occasional SYN attack.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Dos are a bad thing...

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/utility/IPMICFG/Linux/IPMICFG-Linux_1.46.zip

You don't need them to give you the IPMI info, use that utility and get it yourself just unzip into a folder and

ipmicfg-linux.x86_64 -m

This will report the IP back, can also be used to config IPMI from an already installed system.

You have a server with IPMI, you need no help to do anything other than swap drives.

Thanked by 3Infinity Liam maxexcloo
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Then you aren't working with Justin properly.

We have a few Gbit of constant floods on our stuff and our billing gets hit daily. We sometimes have drops but that's mostly because I have to arrange additional adjustments with Justin.

Francisco

• @AsuraHosting What kind of hated website are you running?

@AsuraHosting said: @Jacob - Just private gaming servers; kids rage and hit them off. I've managed to migrate all the DDOS prone to the supposed DDOS protected server, and I'm having problems with Awknet's near non-existent support...

Justin is around. Maybe on the weekends he's a little slower but you should contact him on his emergency email, it sends him a TXT.

We had someone the other day get a ~300,000 pps SYN flood and we were feeling some of it while the SYN filtering cleaned it up but he looked into it and adjusted quickly.

Francisco

• @miTgiB - Not the IPMI information, that was already given to us.

@Francisco - It's hard to work with someone who tells me that they can't install a custom partition with CentOS 6.2. And even more so when he does not respond for hours.

@PytoHost - Read my previous response

@AsuraHosting said: @Jacob - Just private gaming servers; kids rage and hit them off. I've managed to migrate all the DDOS prone to the supposed DDOS protected server, and I'm having problems with Awknet's near non-existent support...

@DotVPS - More like rAthena.org; I've have absolutely 0 problems with HackForums this and last month. Your poor assumptions lead me to believe that you make 'low quality' posts.

• @Francisco - I shall do that; hopefully we can get it straightened out, but it's hard to ask a guy who's not willing to do anything for you to do something.

• AsuraHostingAsuraHosting Member
    edited April 2012

@DotVPS - Read your own post. You state it as if it's a solid fact; yet, I have yet to be attacked by HF since Late Jan. HF causes people to buy packages from you, to attack others; which is easily stopped... not the other way around.

Why would anyone attack you just because you advertise on HF? It makes absolutely 0 sense.

@DotVPS said: Advertising on HF gets you attacked.

You might as well say "Advertising on LEB gets you DDOS'ed".

• @DotVPS - Sorry about lashing out, but I felt that your comment was not necessary.

@AsuraHosting said: @Francisco - I shall do that; hopefully we can get it straightened out, but it's hard to ask a guy who's not willing to do anything for you to do something.

I really doubt that. I'm on the guys cheapest box and I got a dozen or so tickets with different things I've asked to be adjusted as well as hardware changes. We pay him minimal cash and he has helped us plenty.

@AsuraHosting said: You might as well say "Advertising on LEB gets you DDOS'ed".

It did, ask Ash.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: It did, ask Ash.

Francisco

Unfortunate. But I am pretty sure the majority of the companies whom advertise on LEB was left untouched.

@AsuraHosting said: Unfortunate. But I am pretty sure the majority of the companies whom advertise on LEB was left untouched.

The RO market is getting dirtier and dirtier when it comes to floods. I got a guy right now that has a 200 - 300 peak playerbase getting multi gig UDP on a constant basis and SYN on a pretty decent basis as well. I know we had one guy that was getting 100,000 - 200,000 pps of SYN and was getting constant nullroutes for 2 weeks solid until we got the awknet box.

The awknet box was originally just to protect our public facing services (billing, websites, etc), but I was able to work out a way to make a nice profit off it.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: The awknet box was originally just to protect our public facing services (billing, websites, etc), but I was able to work out a way to make a nice profit off it.

Latheesan is currently migrating our new website and billing system to the awknet box. We were going to move the DDOS prone clients to the awknet server to protect our other clients on our WebNX box. But so far, it's not been well in handling the attacks... the IP Block just gets totally turned off and no response from Justin/Awknet still.

• JacobJacob Member

I Love how ya'll advertise at these supposed Legal Hacking Communties and then wonder why you recieve attacks on a daily basis.

Asura always do your research before choosing a provider, Also do not constantly submit tickets or get angry at the support techs, They are there for a purpose to assist with problems not to babysit you. The issue could be out of their pay grade. For example Billing, Technicial, Networking departments are proberly entirely different Working hours.

If you want a provider to listen, But use this as a last resort then post on WHT and if they have a presence they will most likely listen to you.

• @Jacob said: If you want a provider to listen, But use this as a last resort then post on WHT and if they have a presence they will most likely listen to you.

You've obviously never opened a ticket with Awknet, I did once, and still waiting on a reply to a sales lead, if you can't get a sales question answered, they are completely worthless. I was interested in their service since they are only a cross connect away in the same building, just different suite. Guess they are allergic to money.

• @Jacob - Read the post. The attacks is against a customer from rAthena.org. Why are you another Low Quality User with the usual LQ Post?

And I did do my research, that's why I chose Awknet as opposed to other providers. Sorry but when their site states on their FAQ section that they do not null-route, I expect the service to match the statement put on their site.

And I'm asking for advice on how to properly make use of Awknet's DDOS protection, presented the situation that we are put in by them. I'm not here for you to unload your B.S., thanks.

• @miTgiB said: You've obviously never opened a ticket with Awknet, I did once, and still waiting on a reply to a sales lead, if you can't get a sales question answered, they are completely worthless. I was interested in their service since they are only a cross connect away in the same building, just different suite. Guess they are allergic to money.

Thank you, at least someone with some knowledge of the situation I am in knows my woes.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2012

@miTgiB I have never really been interested by any offers from Awknet so I haven't tried them before.

@AsuraHosting Handle my above post however you please, Calling members posts low quality, When you posted a thread not really stating what you would like US to do about this so I am simply sharing advice what to do in your current situation taking in account that I am speaking from a general point of view having no prior experience with Awknet.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @Jacob said: Handle my above post however you please, Calling members posts low quality, When you posted a thread not really stating what you would like US to do about this so I am simply sharing advice what to do in your current situation.

What are you talking about? Do you know english? I'm asking for advice, I am not asking you to do my job for me. And I am stating facts; if you post BS, I'm going to call you out on it.