Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moving cPanel Reseller Account
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Moving cPanel Reseller Account

GunterGunter Member

How exactly do you transfer a reseller account and its subaccounts to another reseller provider?

Comments

• Ask your previous reseller hosting provider to login to root and give you a full backup including all accounts. If they can't do that, you'll have to migrate the accounts one-by-one.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Ask your new reseller to do a cPanel to cPanel transfer.

• nunimnunim Member

How many accounts are you moving?

If you're not moving too many accounts cPanel backups work fine, don't start them all at once, upload them to an offsite FTP and give the link to you new provider.

If you're moving a lot of accounts, or the accounts are very large, then it would be better to ask you provider to package the accounts.

• I had trouble with this years ago when I had a personal reseller hosting 28 of my own sites I had running in PPD. I wanted to move them to my own VPS to have more control/get experience with Linux (back in the day) and because I was moving away from the host (to another provider) the host refused to migrate and I had to do it one by one. Took me hours.

• Might as well clarify here instead of making another ticket. @skylarM, do you offer migrations if I ever need one?

• @darknyan said:
    Might as well clarify here instead of making another ticket. skylarM, do you offer migrations if I ever need one?

We typically prefer to do restores of full cpbackups, so if you can generate them and either upload to your reseller account with us, or put in a location I can wget we can easily restore that way.

• @SkylarM said:

What if one day, I wanted to move away from your service?

• @darknyan said:

Then you'd have to get ahold of your new provider to see what they are willing to do migration wise? Not totally sure what you're looking for here.

• GunterGunter Member
    edited March 2014

@SkylarM said:

The backup for cpbackup restores that you mention.

• @darknyan said:

You can generate the full account backups in your cPanel account.

• Don't tell your old host you are moving though, you can do evil things to cpbackups. Just request a full backup of all your clients. If they refuse back them up one by one, but watch the load in cPanel status to make sure you don't overload their server or they could suspend you on the spot - had this happen to me...