Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inception Hosting - PayPal subscription issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Inception Hosting - PayPal subscription issue

jrdaijrdai Member
edited March 2014 in Reviews

In short: I overpaid due to subscription after cancelling my service, the Inception hold my money as credit and refused to refund.

Imagine this situation, you overpaid something at a store then you found out and asked for a refund, the staff said "Oh, no, not our fault, it is our policy, when you come in means you agree with that. But we keep it as credits, you can come and shop again." Will you come to this shop next time?

Their terms does say overpayment will not be refunded, but I don't think it entitles them to take advantage of my negligence. You don't force people to stay!

It is hard to learn someone when you are good with them, but when you have trouble with them, you would know the person much better. The same applies to the company.

There are some companies whenever customers have problems with them, the first thing they do is find a bunch of excuses to shield behind. They use varies ridiculous terms to again you when you have problems with them.

The Inception is one of them, I highly despise them. It shows how they "care" their customers. It shows no matter how they behave previouly, deep down in their heart, they are DISHONEST, GREEDY, MEAN and SELFISH!

It's several dollars, I will not be poor without them, and they are not going to make a fortune out of that either. But from this small fact, it shows their quality, their ethic code for doing business.

You guys should learn from my experience, those companies hold your money or have any excuse when you ask for a refund, should avoid, stay away. There are planty of good options out there, try Castlegem, Forthcloud, Vultr if you need UK servers.

I made the same mistakes in the past years, none of those acted as Inception did (the latest should be Fliphost if I remember correctly), those good experience relaxed my vigilance. It's Inception makes me realize the ugly businessman again, reminds me of using subscription with extreme caution the next time.

The attitude dealing with refund must be considered when you choosing a provider. That attitude will highly likely tells you how they will act when you have problems with them!

Comments

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2014

said: I overpaid due to subscription

said: Their terms does say overpayment will not be refunded

said: they are DISHONEST, GREEDY, MEAN and SELFISH!

It sounds like you didn't read the terms, and don't agree with the way they do business. If you don't want to get into situations like this, read the terms first and make sure you agree with them. Granted, some providers would just refund you, but Inception did provide access for you to know that they don't refund overpayments, and that's their choice.

I personally think @AnthonySmith should be commended for his efforts with LowEndSpirit. I use an Inception VPS and have had absolutely zero issues with it since day one.

I for one would like to recommend Inception Hosting, and advise others to take this "stay away" advice with a pinch of salt.

Thanked by 2musmiq ryanarp
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 2014

It took you a few $ of time to create the ticket and another few $ of time to write this. You accidentally forgot to cancel... small price to pay, valuable lesson learned? FWIW most companies I've dealt with would write a check when returning credit.

• Seriously? This was way to easy to find. If they didn't have this plastered all over their site and in the welcome email I would agree with you but they are more than upfront about this policy.

If you have set up a subscription this is 100% your responsibility  to maintain and look after any over payments made as a result of failure to look after your own subscription will be held in credit on your account, this is covered during sign up and then again on your initial VPS Server Details email, if you have chosen to ignore all of this then no further discussion will be entered in to, almost every email you get related to your service will remind you of this including your cancellation confirmation.

• Well, If it's stated in there doc. (Here Privacy Policy) and you did agreed for the same by making the payment!

Reality: If we do not read T&C and other doc (Including myself) it's our fault!

said: DISHONEST, GREEDY, MEAN and SELFISH!

It's pre-specified, and they also replied to your ticket, so how can you say this! Also they didn't went on to eat your money, since it's available for you to be used!

Offtopic: On a side note, there are many such schemes were you can prepay (with/ without option of refund) and use that credit in future purchase!

Never really used there services! So can't say if they provide bad service! (I do not expect though).

It's also a fact that @ LEB/T price there is a very less margin/ 0 (many a times)!

Tagging @AnthonySmith

• By the way when refunding a transaction, paypal doesn't refund the full amount of the transaction fee, the provider pays it. So it costs them real money to refund you (althoug a small amount, some 30 cents). Why should the provider pay for your negligence?
    As i said it's not big money, but it's not fair to ask them to pay it out of their pockets.

• The fixed part of PayPal fee is not returned to seller when processing refunds. He's doing this to hedge this loss, especially for budget or non-profit services like LES where profit margin is already low.

• cygnicygni Member

I had similar experience with this host, and personally would not recommend them mainly due to unprofessionalism. See the exchange here: http://lowendbox.com/blog/inception-hosting-7-2gb-xen-in-miami-e16yr-128mb-in-uknlus/#comment-133222

Thanked by 1jrdai
  • DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited March 2014

@DalComp said:
    The fixed part of PayPal fee is not returned to seller when processing refunds. He's doing this to hedge this loss, especially for budget or non-profit services like LES where profit margin is already low.

There is a provision of partial refunds, isn't there?

Granted the provider has a TOS specifically detailing non refunds. However keeping a customer's money against his wishes without providing service to him is morally wrong. In my country, such an act would be illegal and override any contract or TOS the provider has.

Why keep a customer's money with you when he doesn't want your service? You could refund him partially without a loss for you. What happened to the humane element of business? So the customer made a mistake and forgot to cancel. Big deal. To err is human.

Thanked by 2Davidx jrdai
  • cececece Member

read TOS first

• ksubediksubedi Member
    edited March 2014

It's a basic rule of customer service to keep customers happy no matter what. And the customer was not even being unreasonable, people forget things sometimes, its human nature. Yeah their TOS might say otherwise, but they should have refunded just to keep the customer happy.

Thanked by 2Davidx jrdai
  • @DalComp said:
    The fixed part of PayPal fee is not returned to seller when processing refunds. He's doing this to hedge this loss, especially for budget or non-profit services like LES where profit margin is already low.

You sure on that? In this example it was a partial refund of $24 on a $28 transaction. Paypal does automatically refund fees.

Thanked by 1jrdai
  • DalCompDalComp Member
    edited March 2014

@PcJamesy said:

Yep, if your fee is for example 3.9% + $0.30, only the 3.9% (variable part) is refundable while the $0.30 (fixed part) is not.
    https://www.paypal.com/id/webapps/helpcenter/article/?solutionId=11723&topicID=11400039&m=SRE

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited March 2014

This makes me wanna buy another LES box.

• Thanks for the recommendation guys. Just checking LES, and I think it's awesome. Will buy LES box for myself.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2014

I don't think @jrdai will come back and answer this thread at all but I will post my experience with Inception Hosting and Lowendspirit. Some may say I'm biased since I am a moderator on the LES forum and running the shared hosting part of LES.

Since the OP clearly made this error in the past and didn't learn something about it, perhaps he did learn something this time?

The payment that @jrdai let Paypal send to Inception is put as account credits and can be used for future service.

I can't see that it would be Inceptions fault here.

Perhaps a topic change to something like "I can not manage my paypal subscriptions and give away my money. "

• jrdaijrdai Member

@cygni said:

I had similar experience with this host, and personally would not recommend them mainly due to unprofessionalism.

@joelgm said:
    Why keep a customer's money with you when he doesn't want your service? You could refund him partially without a loss for you. What happened to the humane element of business? So the customer made a mistake and forgot to cancel. Big deal. To err is human.

ksubedi said: It's a basic rule of customer service to keep customers happy no matter what. And the customer was not even being unreasonable, people forget things sometimes, its human nature. Yeah their TOS might say otherwise, but they should have refunded just to keep the customer happy.

Couldn't agree more. This is exactly what I am trying to express.

• @MikHo said:
    Perhaps a topic change to something like "I can not manage my paypal subscriptions and give away my money. "

This shows how immature you are. You're stooping to his level makes me laugh.

Overall, I think most run into this issue. I've had subscription overdraft my bank account on accident, though the provider helped me in my case it was a bit of a surprise.

Thanked by 1jrdai
  • Lowendspirit is one of the most reliable providers out there. That's one occasion where "You get what you pay for" is not true, you clearly get much more than what you pay for. And my experience with Anthony has been great in terms of support. May be they should add BitCoin as a payment method to avoid issues like this one. It has happened to me before with another provider, and they did refund me then, but I didn't know PayPal keeps the transaction fees. I don't like PayPal in general, I think they offer little protection to buyer or seller.

• jrdaijrdai Member

@cece said:

read TOS first

Yeah, if every provider is doing business like Inception Hosting, I would say, read it carefully, line by line, there may be some catch hiding somewhere. Fortunately, not all providers are like Inception.

I definitely would not try a new host without carefully reading their terms.

If you bought a Armani shirt and later found there was a hole in it, the staff would not refund because it is your fault not checking it. What would you think? What if you meet these cases more and more? Less friendly, less trust and more vigilance? No trust to everybody?

• "they are DISHONEST, GREEDY, MEAN and SELFISH!"

From your post, I think they are honest, just you don't read their TOS carefully and careless with your paypal subscription. Reading and agreeing TOS is a must right? The payment is put as your account credit right? So why so rumble?

• jrdai said: If you bought a Armani shirt and later found there was a hole in it, the staff would not refund because it is your fault not checking it. What would you think? What if you meet these cases more and more? Less friendly, less trust and more vigilance? No trust to everybody?

I don't think this is a good "comparison" because the service was just fine. He cancelled his service but forgot to cancel his self-initiated money-sending mechanism towards Inception Hosting. He now expects Inception Hosting to make costs to send him back the money that he sent himself!

If you cancel your newspaper and the paper boy delivers it to you anyway, even if you didn't ask for it, would you pay a couple of bucks and put in on an envelope to send the paper back? I don't think so.

Besides, he probably still has it as a service credit, so he can use the full amount he sent (probably 3 EUR or something).

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • namhuynamhuy Member
    edited March 2014

@mpkossen no offense but I do not like your attitude, if deliver boys still delivers newspaper, it's the newspaper's business to take it back without asking any fee from that client. "couple of bucks" I assume USD or EUR in my country means alot.

• Umm... You had to specifically agree to this on the order form. I can't imagine how it could be made any clearer.

The policy is totally understandable. Just processing reimbursements for a $3/y service would cost more in work hours than they make with the service (which is pretty much a non-profit, as it is).

My own experience with LES has been nothing short of spectacular, and @AnthonySmith consistently exceeds my expectations. The servers are fast and reliable, and the support (while scaled down for obvious reasons) has been relatively fast and always friendly. On top of everything, the LES community is full of great people.

Paying only $3 per year for all this almost makes me feel guilty.

@David_P said:

And you expect someone else to solve your neglect?
    If you made an error, learn from it. If you keep on doing the same mistaker over and over you are heading for a disaster.
    Trying to blame others for your own mistake is not acceptable in my eyes.

If the ticket asking for a refund was written the same way as this thread, I can probably guess the reason why the refund was denied.

As for me being immature, I try to keep the inner child alive. Makes me feel younger.

I would also like to mention that on most LES locations there are now DDoS protection. This has been added without added costs to the customers!

@namhuy said:
    mpkossen no offense but I do not like your attitude, if deliver boys still delivers newspaper, it's the newspaper's business to take it back without asking any fee from that client. "couple of bucks" I assume USD or EUR in my country means alot.

If we go by your example, the customer who SENDS money to Inception should (as the newspapers business) PAY to make Inception send the money back?
    Or the customer should be calling Paypal "a scam" for sending the money.

• @MikHo in our case it's clear it's the client fault since he didn't read while sign up. I just don't like the way @mpkossen talking about newspapers and money.

• always read before buying..

• Looked at my server e-mail from inception, and one of the first things listed after the server details is:

OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

1) If you have set up a paypal subscription this is your responsibility to maintain, and over payments due to subscriptions cannot be refunded and will be held in credit.

It's clearly your mistake, so should therefore be your loss. I have nothing but good things to say about their services. Move on and learn from your mistake.

This discussion has been closed.