Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Converting SolusVM Master to Slave
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Converting SolusVM Master to Slave

AsuraHostingAsuraHosting Member
edited April 2012 in Help

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any experience in converting a SolusVM master node to a slave node? Tried looking it up, found a post in '09 stating to run the install on the master to install as a slave; but it's not working... Anyone got any clues?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

you should be able to just:

• backup your SQL
    • uninstall MySQL/lighttpd from said master
    • nuke /usr/local/solusvm
    • re-run the installer

And it should see it as a virgin node.

Francisco

Thanked by 1AsuraHosting

Also, remember

BACK UP YOUR ENCRYPTION KEY

Thanked by 1AsuraHosting
  • @Francisco,
    Thanks a lot man, really appreciate it greatly! I shall make a backup and try it out =).

@DotVPS,
    I tried that, it did not work. =(

• @DotVPS

Who told you that, Santhosh or Rajesh? It seems like some BS they would come out with..

• I did this one before but months ago.

Last time I remembered, Solus would still believe that the node was localhost, so you went into the database and updated all the VPSs etc to use the new node, but Solus would fuck up.

@Daniel

You always have to have a localhost node. Always.

Most of their code wraps around checks to see if the node is there or if you're provisioning to said master.

You shouldn't need to 'replace' it, simply move the master to the new spot, convert the old master to a slave then relink it to the master and it'll appear as a slave.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: You always have to have a localhost node. Always.

Most of their code wraps around checks to see if the node is there or if you're provisioning to said master.

You shouldn't need to 'replace' it, simply move the master to the new spot, convert the old master to a slave then relink it to the master and it'll appear as a slave.

Francisco

I know it sucks.

• http://wiki.solusvm.com/index.php/Moving_The_SolusVM_Master

This will help you not miss all the little details of moving the master then make the old master a slave by eithr migrating all the VM's off it and start fresh or remove all the crap and run the installer again as a slave

• @DotVPS said: You didn't mention kavi?

I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with him :)

• @Francisco,
    Hey, I haven't done what you said yet; but do you know if that process will kill the current OVZ containers on the node or will it preserve them?

• @DotVPS said: want me to do it first on my test node :P ?

Lol, sure if it's not too much of a trouble.

Ow... thanks a lot. I would've been in trouble haha!

Hey, I haven't done what you said yet; but do you know if that process will kill the current OVZ containers on the node or will it preserve them?

It won't touch it. If you want to be 'extra safe', you can install run the slave installer and just tell it 'no virtulization' and solus will only install its core files and leave VZ well enough alone.

Francisco

Thanked by 1AsuraHosting
  • @Francisco,
    Thanks very much for the help, really appreciate it!

No problem, glad i could help

• I'm going through the same process as you - re-running the installer worked for me!

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited February 2015

Do I add the converted slave as a new node or update localhost on the new master?

EDIT: Re-run installer with slave as virtualisation, then add as new node and change with /scripts/vm-migrate [VSERVERID] [NEWNODEID]

• I would like to join this interesting article, i am very lucky that i selected this one also thanks lot for this information.

• ffs, spambots theses days