Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

US House passes CISPA
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

US House passes CISPA

miTgiBmiTgiB Member
edited April 2012 in General

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/04/house-passes-cispa/

With that said, do you really feel the blank check of passing customer data between providers and the Governement with no oversight is in your interest?

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2012

Looks like all of us need to pitch in and open a datacenter in Mexico. I'm sure @yomero and @netomx would approve.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited April 2012

It was inevitable.

Though, I could see Obama vetoing it, since it's a reelection year.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2012

Obama has already agreed to veto it. So long as he isn't lying (50/50 shot). I mean he did write to congress expressing his desire for legistlation like this. We've been getting mixed messages, and this isn't going away apparently. I have a feeling it's not a question of if this goes through, but when and under what disguise.

• @jarland said: So long as he isn't lying

Obama campaigned in 2008 against telecom immunity and flew back to vote for it.

Thanked by 2jar [Deleted User]
  • Nice to know that the US government doesn't care about Internet privacy.

I've considered the possibility that he's lying to calm to activists from driving the house & senate insane with phone calls so it'll pass and he can say "Actually it's not as bad as you guys think, and I promise I won't use this part of it." But...that would be a terrible election year decision.

• @miTgiB said: flew back to vote for it.

Because he is at the mercy of the MPAA and RIAA.

• gsxgsx Member

Obama is up for re-election this year. But, that could mean he might take either side.

• @TheHackBox said: Because he is at the mercy of the MPAA and RIAA.

Wrong topic, the telecom immunity is based on AT&T mirroring their entire network and handing it all over to the NSA

https://www.eff.org/cases/nsa-multi-district-litigation

Thanked by 1TheHackBox

True. Pleasing the MPAA and RIAA can't come without it's perks.

• ZettaZetta Member

Welp, time for those checks and balances to be useful.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Damian said: I'm sure @yomero and @netomx would approve.

Indeed! In Monterrey, please ;D

• @Zetta said: Welp, time for those checks and balances to be useful.

It's nice to know that the Supreme Court has the power to reverse laws like this. The sad part is that it's going to take a while for someone to be able to get a case regarding CISPA to them. If it passes that is. Plus, considering how they ruled in the Citizens United case, I don't trust them to get it done...

• politicians do whatever they can to get money and use the money to buy votes, same in Asia, same in North America...

• @zhuanyi said: politicians do whatever they can to get money and use the money to buy votes, same in Asia, same in North America...

That's because it's all about staying in office. It's a big problem with the system. It really wouldn't be as bad if there were strict term limits, but that's just never going to happen, and we'll continue to have people sit in Congress for decades because they don't want to leave their nice cushy job.

• I think its time for a regime change in washington....

• @TheHackBox said: Nice to know that the US government doesn't care about Internet privacy.

No government actually cares about your privacy, regardless of what country you live in. That goes against their best interest.

• DerekDerek Member

@DanielM said: I think its time for a regime change in washington....

Not an another "occupy" movement :&

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

What most people don't seem to realize is that shit like this will keep happening as long as you stick with the current system - regardless of who you elect, regardless of how hard you protest. It's a flaw in 'the system', and a quite large one at that. They'll shit out bills faster than you can petition them; if they were listening to your signatures to begin with.

I don't see why people are still so intent on sticking with the way things are now, rather than trying to change shit for the better. You'd think bills like these would make it blatantly obvious that the current system doesn't work, but apparently not...

Thanked by 1vedran
  • I've posted this on another political thread... and it hasn't lost any relevance:

• @Aldryic said: No government actually cares about your privacy, regardless of what country you live in. That goes against their best interest.

But the EU said it cares about the user privacy policy? Why else would they introduce the stupid cookie law.

• @Daniel said: But the EU said it cares about the user privacy policy? Why else would they introduce the stupid cookie law.

For that Reason -- Because it is a "Stupid Cookie Law"

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited April 2012

Not only did they pass it they rushed it through(a day early) and made it far worse than before...http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120426/14505718671/insanity-cispa-just-got-way-worse-then-passed-rushed-vote.shtml

It still needs to get through senate and if only 2/3 are in favor I believe Obama has the ability to veto it. This bill is horrible and should be illegal, why our "representatives" insist on making everyone's life miserable I don't understand. Do they not get payed enough? Do they not have enough power? just doesn't make sense.

• @taipres: Because they'll always try to take away certain rights from people no matter what... e.g. SOPA was one of them. >_>

• @taipres said: if only 2/3 are in favor I believe Obama has the ability to veto

Obama has the right to veto any legislation he is presents with, but if the 2/3 of the congress passed it, it is likely that veto will be over ridden

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited April 2012

@miTgiB said: Obama has the right to veto any legislation he is presents with, but if the 2/3 of the congress passed it, it is likely that veto will be over ridden

Ahh thanks for the correction. And Boltersdriveer taking away all of peoples right is a good way to start a revolution. Lot of issues in the US people would like to vote on...but we don't get to vote on them, we get to elect "representatives" to vote on them for us.

Joe Rogan explains it well here, this is good besides all the profanity and saying The Lords name in vain.

• @miTgiB said: Obama has the right to veto any legislation he is presents with, but if the 2/3 of the congress passed it, it is likely that veto will be over ridden

Like obama cares. Remember he passed the Latest NDAA bill.

• @DanielM said: Like obama cares. Remember he passed the Latest NDAA bill.

But..but... he'll never use it!

• @DanielM said: Like obama cares. Remember he passed the Latest NDAA bill.

ObamaCare!

I don't know why you Americans want to reject that.

• @Kairus said: But..but... he'll never use it!

He already is. You just need the right newe sources (Anything but fox news and MSM)