Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[solved ]What happened with buyVM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[solved ]What happened with buyVM?

netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran
edited April 2012 in General

Tried to check my VPS with the CP, and I cannot connect. then, tried to enter their site - unavailable. What is wrong? :(

Thanked by 1nova

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2012

Works for me, maybe network problem between you and them. Try traceroute/mtr to diagnose the problem.

Edit: on the other hand looking at buyvmstatus.com there were quite a few node reboots maybe. Or they are changing switches or something like that.

• novanova Member

Just noticed them drop off too. Was there any power issue or was it network?

• Network issue. I think the router tried to hump the dog again <_<

In all seriousness, Fran's on the horn with EGI now getting things straightened out. We'll have more info when all's resolved.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

lol, working now. It is the second time it happens. Btw, @Francisco, I tried to open a new tab, and guess what?

Unauthorized Access Attempt
  • JacobJacob Member

I seen this about 30Mins ago but did not bother making a thread, I was hoping it would pass over.

@Jacob said: I seen this about 30Mins ago

it is too mainstream?

Thanked by 2ElliotJ jamson
  • Phew. I thought it was just me. Been experiencing issues on and off since 10:30 am EDT this morning.

• I know the jist of it, yeah. I'm not the best with networking, though, so I'll refrain from comment so I'm not lying to anyone XD

Fran'll have a proper report once he's done with the KVM maintenance :P

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Always good to check Frantech's Twitter if something isn't working right:

https://twitter.com/#!/frantechca

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2012

We had one of the most fucked up issues happen which caused the network blow outs.

We use these X9SCL motherboards from supermicro for our new E3 builds and to date we've had no issues, until today.

• Matt was short on time before he had to leave so he brought both KVM08 & KVM06 down for the chassis replacement.
    • The chassis replacement went as planned without any issues
    • KVM08 was brought online first and I started to configure the box
      -- Issue #1 came up, the box isn't allowing me access to the boot menu, allowing me to boot from my USB key. No biggy, I was able to just change this inside the BIOS
      -- Issue #2 came up once I started debian. The installation was going incredibly slow so I figured Matt had the ethernet ports wrong (did I forget to mention that these boards have their ports reversed? fuuuuuu)
      -- Matt went down, confirmed they were fine so I tried using our own mirror to no avail
    • At this point we staretd to have a mass 'IP stealing' occur from a MAC we didn't have recorded down
    • We quickly tried to track them down using our switches MAC tables.
      -- Switch #1 claimed it learned the MAC from Switch #2, no biggy, hop on Switch #2.
      -- Switch #2 claimed it learned the MAC from Switch #1. Umm.....
    • Based on the starting digits (00:25:..) we knew it was a supermicro NIC and not something else
    • We proceeded to try to debug the issue which ended with me blowing up the LACP between the two switches dropping a fair sum of our nodes offline - god frannit
    • The next project was working to get the LACP group back online. After some fiddling and A reboot later the group was back online.
      -- Mind you, the only 'positive' thing this helped prove was we knew which rack the MAC was located in
    • With Egi's help we simply went down every single supermicro and unplugged each until we found the box.
    • Box ends up being the replacement for KVM06 and it's in some retarded PXE-rape mode and is announcing back ARP's stating it's actually every IP it gets a WHO-IS request for.

It was a cluster fuck if there ever was a description needed.

Francisco

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Executive Summary: Victim of pixie rape.

@Francisco said: god frannit

Love this one haha

@raindog308 said: Victim of pixie rape.

They're pissed that we took their ponies bro.

@netomx said: Love this one haha

'God Frannit' is a common saying in our company chat :P

Francisco

• @Francisco: Don't you just love those odd networking issues that you'd never plan for or otherwise anticipate?

• @Francisco said: We use these X9SCL motherboards from supermicro for our new E3 builds and to date we've had no issues, until today

I doubt it has anything to do with the model, but I've been seeing some really shabby QC from SuperMicro lately, tons of boards with faulty memory sockets, like 30% of the boards I've bought lately (X9SCM-F and X9SCA-F) and you just got a bad board that made life interesting.

@Damian said: @Francisco: Don't you just love those odd networking issues that you'd never plan for or otherwise anticipate?

Well, the sad part is no technology short of mass ARP locks would have helped. We could do that with veth for openvz but ehhhhh that gets messy.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: We had one of the most fucked up issues happen which caused the network blow outs.

ah explains my 3min downtime hehe

must be a bloody nightmare to handle when you have so many servers! and you're still growing those number of servers!!!

@eva2000 said: must be a bloody nightmare to handle when you have so many servers! and you're still growing those number of servers!!!

S'why we keep full MAC lists. We only kept ETH0 listed so we figured maybe a cable got swapped to ETH1 without us knowing.

Francisco