Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtual Min on 128/256mb VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtual Min on 128/256mb VPS

RancidMRancidM Member
edited April 2012 in General

Was uisng a Kloxo install on my 128/256mb VPS and whislt i didnt like the CP, it didnt overly tax the spec of my VPS.
Now trying to run the VIrtualmin CP and MySQL is eating up 140mb+ of mem all by itself.

Anyone have any joy running Virtualmin on 128/256 vps ?

Cheers
Cid.

Comments

• I have Webmin/Virtualmin running on my 128MB BuyVM VPS. The trick is not to use the install.sh script that Virtualmin has on their site. When you use that, it installs apache, bind, and a bunch of other memory hogs, along with Webmin/Virtualmin.

When you use your distro specific packages, it will install only webmin/virtualmin, which uses around 25MB or so. Then you can install your server daemons independently, being selective of what you install, so you can conserve RAM.

For example, I have Webmin/Virtualmin, nginx, php, mysql, postfix, dovecot, vsftpd, in about 115MB RAM.

• How do you keep your MYSQL from eating up bucket loads of ram ?
    i tried using the my-small.cnf which is for less than 64mb servers but it will uses up 140mb of mem.

• @RancidM said: How do you keep your MYSQL from eating up bucket loads of ram ?

skip-innodb in /etc/my.cnf is a good start

Thanked by 1RancidM
  • VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Kinda shocked that you can't get it running on a 128/256 D:.

I've hardly been careful with the RAM usage on my BuyVM 512/1024 box... installed loads of unnecessary things.

It's Apache, PHP, MySQL, Webmin/Virtualmin, transmission-daemon, OpenVPN.. got a few sites hosted on there, including a full-featured ecommerce site, which is pretty MySQL hungry.

Currently sat at 329mb, which is rather a lot.. but like I said, I've not exactly been careful with this... and I assume that the ecommerce site probably uses half of that.

So should run on 128mb, surely?

• @miTgiB said: skip-innodb in /etc/my.cnf is a good start

along with default-storage-engine = myisam if you are using mysql 5.5+

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@liamwithers said: Currently sat at 329mb, which is rather a lot.. but like I said, I've not exactly been careful with this... and I assume that the ecommerce site probably uses half of that.

mine is

512 MB total, 236.79 MB used

with Apache, MySQL, Webmin, PPTP, OpenVPN, IPSEC/Openswan, PHP, etc

• @dmmcintyre3 : That's a "gotcha" that kicked my ass for a couple hours. Couldn't figure out why I couldnt' skip-innodb without it croaking.