Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think of Amazon's latest pricing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

What do you think of Amazon's latest pricing?

What do you think of Amazon's latest pricing? - http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/effective-april-2014/.

Storage and pricing aside how good is it?

Affiliate Links: Prometeus - Rock Solid KVM | Xen | OpenVZ    Netcup coupon 36nc15356334959

Comments

  • FlorisFloris Member
    edited March 2014

    1 vCPU, 1 ECU, 1.7GB RAM and 160GB SSD storage for $31,15 a month seems pretty decent.
    I've heard some good stuff about them aswell.

    I only work for me, and myself.

  • @Floris said:
    1 vCPU, 1 ECU, 1.7GB RAM and 160GB SSD storage for $31,15 a month seems pretty decent.
    I've heard some good stuff about them aswell.

    Don't forget the charges on IO, network and storage.

  • The main thing that kills the viability of Amazon is honestly the bandwidth pricing. If you push 1TB, you might as well buy a dedicated server.

    Thanked by 1Gunter
  • tchentchen Member

    There goes the spot prices. All that cheap extra capacity was nice while it lasted.

  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 2014

    I use an instance for some GPU stuff, as far as I see there's no change in price for the g2 instances unfortunately.

    Thanked by 1tszilassi
  • @Abydon said:
    The main thing that kills the viability of Amazon is honestly the bandwidth pricing. If you push 1TB, you might as well buy a dedicated server.

    It's a lot of convenience and scalability. You can scale from 512MB of RAM to 256GB in a snap, plus with load balancing and the likes. Whereas, with a dedicated server, you'd need to setup and manage everything independently.

    So, at that price point, a dedicated server might be a more viable option unless you're rapidly scaling.

  • tchentchen Member

    If you were running off the CDN as recommended, the outbound bandwidth costs from the EC2 instances is a moot point (yes - you're still paying for the CDN, but you were going to anyways).

    AWS is good if you're building a scalable web farm with a LB. Outside of that, just get some VPSes.

  • AbydonAbydon Member
    edited March 2014

    @daxterfellowes said:
    So, at that price point, a dedicated server might be a more viable option unless you're rapidly scaling.

    Ya, I just do not find it worth the price. Personally. :)

    @tchen said:
    If you were running off the CDN as recommended, the outbound bandwidth costs from the EC2 instances is a moot point (yes - you're still paying for the CDN, but you were going to anyways).

    AWS is good if you're building a scalable web farm with a LB. Outside of that, just get some VPSes.

    The majority of bandwidth on my hobby projects is consumed by dynamic pages that can't be cached by a CDN long enough to have a significant impact.

    I just always point out the bandwidth costs because I know people are sometimes surprised by them.


    AWS is good when your monthly budget is measured in $10k+ and you have highly variable load.

    Without that, I think it is more trouble than it is worth except as a CDN.

    Thanked by 1tchen
  • Did they killed spot pricing?

  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator

    Everytime I look at EC2 pricing I think to myself.. how can they possibly make this any more complicated? Amazon could benefit from making their price model much simpler.

    Thanked by 3Steve tszilassi emdad
    Jon Biloh
  • daxterfellowes said: It's a lot of convenience and scalability. You can scale from 512MB of RAM to 256GB in a snap, plus with load balancing and the likes. Whereas, with a dedicated server, you'd need to setup and manage everything independently.

    If your having scaling issues it means you grew faster than you thought or your using more resources then you though, that generally means you are not monitoring enough to notice the change.

  • tchentchen Member

    @Jupiter said:
    Did they killed spot pricing?

    No, I was just commenting on the fact that spot availability was due to their higher cost. It's been a nice buffet for the last few months.

  • @wojons said:
    If your having scaling issues it means you grew faster than you thought or your using more resources then you though, that generally means you are not monitoring enough to notice the change.

    Well that was obviously an exaggerated example just to show how quickly you could theoretically scale a service. Of course, your application would probably suffer before the actual back end would at that exponential growth.

Sign In or Register to comment.