Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XEN, KVM, Or Dedicated Server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

XEN, KVM, Or Dedicated Server?

JeffreyJeffrey Member
edited April 2012 in General

Well, I am currently in the market for either a XEN, KVM, or dedicated server for $20/Month. Since my IP's at Kimsufi aren't correctly pointing to my box and I can't get a hold of their support, I have to unfortunately leave them. Now, I am on a tight budget. I know that you can install OpenVZ on KVM, but can you install OpenVZ on XEN? If you have any offers for me, feel free to hit me up.. I am currently looking for a server with 5 IP Addresses and 2GB Ram and a 50GB HDD or more.

Comments

• Just add the IP to the server, simple as that. I can help you add them to the kimsufi if you want. And Xen or KVM, KVM is a pain in the ass to setup if you are in a rush. You have to do everything manually. It isnt one click install like openvz and xen. I personally LOVE xen and openvz for the one click installs. But if you are looking to setup a VPS exactly how you want it then KVM. BTW some KVM you have to add the IP manually so you could be in the same boat as you are now. But in reality adding IP to a server is super easy.

• @PytoHost thanks for the tips, well I am paying over $30/month for the Kimsufi box, I am getting it through a reseller and my budget is lower than that at the moment. My box expires tomorrow. What do you think about XEN then? Would that be manual? What about IP's with XEN? Any providers you know of in my price range? Can OpenVZ be installed on XEN?

• I like XEN but if you want openvz so bad why not just get an openvz VPS? And no you can not install openvz on a xen server. Just get an openvz one.

• flyfly Member

hey i'd like to know this too i'm planning on starting a hosting company

however teh box i have right now only has openvz so can I run kvm on ovz?

• If you guys are asking this question you should not be hosting VPS.

• @PytoHost I don't want an OpenVZ VPS, infact, I own about 5 OpenVZ VPS's from multiple hosts. :P I just want a box so I can test the OpenVZ Kernel and possibly other Virtual Server Kernels.

• KVM you can put the openvz kernal but it is a pain setting up a KVM if you dont know what you are doing. And KVM are expensive. Your best best to mess around is to use a kimsufi or the like.

• @PytoHost: please stop with the FUD. If all he wants to do is play with the OVZ kernel, either KVM or Xen HVM is fine for him. For a near-one-click solution he could also install Proxmox VE on either of them.

• @quirkyquark said: please stop with the FUD. If all he wants to do is play with the OVZ kernel, either KVM or Xen HVM is fine for him. For a near-one-click solution he could also install Proxmox VE on either of them.

Im just saying it will be easier to do it from a dedi than from a VPS. Making a VPS in a VPS isn't easy sailing. It is complexish. And @jeffery not to be rude but I dont think you will be able too.

• @PytoHost, Yep, I'm sure you will deadpool within three months also, not to be rude.

• bijan588bijan588 Member
    edited April 2012

@PytoHost said: Im just saying it will be easier to do it from a dedi than from a VPS. Making a VPS in a VPS isn't easy sailing. It is complexish. And @jeffery not to be rude but I dont think you will be able to

OpenVZ inside xen is not hard, I have done it to experiment multiple times.

• Hey @bijan588 Do you know what XEN Virtualization BurstNET uses? So far they seem very cheap.

• @Jeffrey said: Hey @bijan588 Do you know what XEN Virtualization BurstNET uses? So far they seem very cheap.

I think they use PV, but I have not actually used them.

I have used thrustVPS's HVM and that worked great until I outgrew it.

• kalamkalam Member

@Jeffrey why are you going through a reseller? I'm paying $19.78 for my 2G. Excellent price just for a cheap dedicated to mess around with.

I'd assume Burst uses HVM for their Windows VPS and PV for their Xen Linux.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited April 2012

Im confused. If you know you can run OVZ on KVM, why even bother with Xen?

I dont think you can run OVZ on Xen PV (Although i haven't exactly researched this). Which leaves you with HVM and KVM. KVM is usually cheaper and better performing, so i honestly wouldn't bother with HVM.

Burst use HVM for Windows and PV for linux as far as im aware.

If you go for KVM/HVM you can get the host to upload the ProxMox V2 image for you, we already have it in our library so im sure others do.

• @DotVPS said: @VMPort said: I dont think you can run OVZ on Xen PV (Although i haven't exactly researched this). Which leaves you with HVM and KVM. KVM is usually cheaper and better performing, so i honestly wouldn't bother with HVM.

I think it may be possible with pygrub? I'm not 100% sure though.

It is possible with pygrub on Xen PV.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited April 2012

@kalam I am going through a Kimsufi reseller becaue OVH won't let anyone under the age of 18 get a server from them in the US. Look here: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/1960/cheapest-kimsufi-reseller

• @Jeffrey said: @kalam I am going through a Kimsufi reseller becaue OVH won't let anyone under the age of 18 get a server from them in the US. Look here: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/1960/cheapest-kimsufi-reseller

Why don't you have your mommy or dad order for you?

OVH resellers seem to be 90% scammers and leave within a few months.

• @NateN34 Why can't you go hide in your mothers basement and go work on your servers? LOL Just kidding :P

Well, I have my own PayPal account and my own bank account, I earn money myself.

Thanked by 2TheHackBox bijan588