Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap low-RAM VPS in France
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap low-RAM VPS in France

iceTwyiceTwy Member
edited March 2014 in Requests

I'm looking to run a private, single-user VPN on this VPS. My ISP is shamelessly throttling some websites/services, hence the need for a local, unthrottled VPS.

I've seen OVH's 1.99€ plan. This might be good enough, but what virtualization are they using?

EDIT: OVH slab their VPS (from their FAQ, their virtualization layer is "OpenVZ, which is installed on ESXi."). Meh.

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

OVH's 1.99€ plan is OpenVZ.

• @Nyr said:
    OVH's 1.99€ plan is OpenVZ.

Inside ESXi, yeah. Are they known to throttle any service (e.g. YouTube) on their VPS?

OVH hasn't the best network of the world, but it's fine and nice for what you need.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited March 2014

@iceTwy said:
    Inside ESXi, yeah. Are they known to throttle any service (e.g. YouTube) on their VPS?

>

NO, they don't.And that slabbed vps should be enough for your needs as you are not planing to run anything mission critical. And besides slabbing can be a good thing if done right(just like BuyVM do).

• @K2Bytes said:
    NO, they don't.And that slabbed vps should be enough for your needs as you are not planing to run anything mission critical. And besides slabing can be a good thing if done right(just like BuyVM do).

That sounds perfect, then. Thanks!

edited March 2014

Slabbing, if done right, is actually a great thing. I'm sure OVH knows what they are doing with their setup.

• I just ordered an OVH VPS via PayPal, and OVH are now requesting a copy of my ID card - what on earth is wrong with them?

I guess that reopens the topic.

• @iceTwy

They're doing this with everyone. I've just didn't payed for that. :) They cannot have a copy from my ID. The only person who can get it is a policeman.

• sc754sc754 Member

My OVH 1GB vps is brilliant, unixbenched at 1000 and performs really well. One of the best vps's I have actually

• does ovh ask for id always? i had a kimsufi years ago and had to send in id and utility bill to prove i was not in EU (for avoiding VAT)...

• You cannot run certain VPN setup on their Classic line of VPS because certain modules are not available such as /dev/net/tun for OpenVPN.

@johnlth93 said:
    You cannot run certain VPN setup on their Classic line of VPS because certain modules are not available such as /dev/net/tun for OpenVPN.

They weren't in the past, but they enabled TUN/TAP for all the containers a few months ago IIRC.

• kerouac said: does ovh ask for id always?

I bought a yearly cheap plan some days ago and they didn't .

• @Nyr said:
    They weren't in the past, but they enabled TUN/TAP for all the containers a few months ago IIRC.

Ditto. Modules for OpenVPN are activated, not the ones for PPTP :(

• iceTwyiceTwy Member
    edited March 2014

@pbalazs123 said:
    iceTwy

They're doing this with everyone. I've just didn't payed for that. :) They cannot have a copy from my ID. The only person who can get it is a policeman.

I don't even understand why they'd want a copy of my ID - I'm French, I live in France, and the name associated to my PayPal account is, well, mine.

I just called their support hotline and apparently it's a standard procedure for people ordering for the first time on OVH.

Nope

• IshaqIshaq Member

I've had services before and they asked for ID and utility bill after ordering the Classic VPS, too.

I got a VPS with them two weeks ago and they didn't asked for verification and never had.

I'm from Spain, so I suppose they are using some kind of fraud scoring and maybe requiring verification for all orders where VAT is not applicable. I have multiple accounts with OVH and they never asked for any kind of identity verification.

• @Nyr said:

Thanks for that, it's news to me =P

But well I am satisfied with their VMWare line of vps for now =)

• @Nyr said:
    I got a VPS with them two weeks ago and they didn't asked for verification and never had.

I'm from Spain, so I suppose they are using some kind of fraud scoring and maybe requiring verification for all orders where VAT is not applicable. I have multiple accounts with OVH and they never asked for any kind of identity verification.

From my experience all new registered account will need to "talk" to them and be asked for 2 type of ID.

• I think it's more to do with the fact people pay via PayPal. Signing up with a credit/debit card order usually doesn't result in ID being asked for.

• @itrmike said:
    I think it's more to do with the fact people pay via PayPal. Signing up with a credit/debit card order usually doesn't result in ID being asked for.

Really? I should've gone with a direct credit card payment.. oh well.

I guess I will end up sending a copy of my ID, even though I'm reluctant to do it. Asking to send private, official documents via an insecure mean of communication (email) makes me cringe more than anything.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2014

They dont proved my ID,they just called me when my first isgenug (kimsufi) was online. That was it, paid over transfer.

@itrmike said:
    I think it's more to do with the fact people pay via PayPal. Signing up with a credit/debit card order usually doesn't result in ID being asked for.

I always paid via PayPal or bank transfer (depending on the account) and didn't got the ID request either way.

• Right, so I eventually did send a copy of my ID to OVH. I wouldn't have done it if they weren't a large and local company, of course, but it still bothered me.

Either way, they set up the VPS and TUN/TAP was enabled by default. OpenVPN works like a charm ;)