Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google drive
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google drive

PhilNDPhilND Member
edited April 2012 in General

Anyone seen google drive?

https://drive.google.com/start#home

$2.49 for 25GB Disk space

$5 for 100GB

1TB for $50

Take into consideration, dropbox is charging $800 a MONTH for 1TB, where google is charging 50.

Anyone think that google will be taking over the storage market? Dropbox seriously need to rethink using S3 for storage now.. it's a little pricey :p

Comments

• Its cheap and they've got an API coming so it could be useful for VPS backups I guess.

But I got 25GB of Dropbox for free.

• PhilNDPhilND Member
    edited April 2012

Same, i have 25GB free from dropbox also, but this could be a viable backup solution for many.. as it's so cheap.

Be intresting to see how it plays out

• I don't believe they want to compete with dropbox and amazon, they just needed something like this for chrome os

• I tried when Dropbox first started taking anyone to tell them that s3 would not scale their prices right for them. S3 has gotten cheaper but at scale it's not. Perfect for vps and cPanel backups but once you cross a threshold it's cheaper to run your own servers.

• Read the privacy policy before committing to them for backups.

Honestly I think google is price dumping

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Actually, the only use I have for S3 is for backups.

10-12 cents/month for extremely reliable service is reasonable. And considering inbound bandwidth is free and unlimited, it's also a good deal.

Sure, if I ever had to do a full restore I'd pay for bandwidth but hopefully that is rare and even then, if it was 50GB that's 50 cents.

Versioning is also nice.

Thanked by 2marrco mrm2005
  • Who cares about their privacy policy. Encrypt.

Thanked by 1breton
  • Don't forget about their wonderful new terms of service:

"When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content."

Thanked by 1klikli
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

"“By submitting your stuff to the Services, you grant us (and those we work with to provide the Services) worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licenseable rights to use, copy, distribute, prepare derivative works (such as translations or format conversions) of, perform, or publicly display that stuff to the extent we think it necessary for the Service. You must ensure you have the rights you need to grant us that permission.”

• Dropbox :-)
  • @subigo said: "When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content."

Its Google, I hardly doubt their going to start selling all your work on eBay.

Thanked by 2Mon5t3r gsrdgrdghd
  • @Daniel said: Its Google, I hardly doubt their going to start selling all your work on eBay.

Oh, that's a relief. There's definitely nothing wrong with giving Google a free license to all of your data... heh. Come on. Maybe you're cool with Google employees being able to search through your shit and claiming it as their own, but I'm not.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @subigo said: Oh, that's a relief. There's definitely nothing wrong with giving Google a free license to all of your data... heh. Come on. Maybe you're cool with Google employees being able to search through your shit and claiming it as their own, but I'm not.

Google: Do No Evil.

Google have only put that in their TOS to cover their ass from potential "Copyright Issues" notices.

Thanked by 1mrm2005
  • gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited April 2012

@subigo said: Maybe you're cool with Google employees being able to search through your shit and claiming it as their own, but I'm not.

Before you make such an uninformed comment please take at least the time to actually read the TOS yourself.

You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.

• What the heck.. $50/month for 1 TB?

Ripoff.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Before you make such an uninformed comment please take at least the time to actually read the TOS yourself.

You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.

You're still giving them a free license to use the data. If you upload a photo of yourself, they have every right to use it in any way they like and they don't have to credit you or pay you for it.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • I'm already working on a Python script to back up my webapps to Google Drive from my leb. Also, looking at uploading log file updates directly to google docs. This could be fun :)

• @StolenToaster said: I'm already working on a Python script to back up my webapps to Google Drive from my leb. Also, looking at uploading log file updates directly to google docs. This could be fun :)

I already do it for my Dropbox, its easy since all you have to do is cp files ~/Dropbox.

Google Drive dosen't have a Linux Client yet :(

• I need to read some more about the service. I absolutely need rsync or something similar.

• Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely look into this.

• gsxgsx Member

I have a $5/year 20GB storage account and was planning on upgrading to the $20/year 80GB account. But then they changed the pricing...at least I'm grandfathered in...

• gianggiang Veteran

@gsx said: I have a $5/year 20GB storage account and was planning on upgrading to the $20/year 80GB account. But then they changed the pricing...at least I'm grandfathered in...

Yeah, last night when I first signed for Google Drive, they still haven't updated the price but now...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@PhilND said: Take into consideration, dropbox is charging $800 a MONTH for 1TB, where google is charging 50.

Not impressed by either.
    http://www.livedrive.com/ForHome/ProSuite - $25/mo for 5 TB.

• @liam said: ftp

sftp*

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited April 2012

I figured why not... I went to google drive and they said "Your drive isn't ready yet", but I could upgrade to their 25 GB for $2.50 per month. I figured why not it's only $2.50...

AFTER paying: Your Google drive will be setup in the order it was received. Wait time will not exceed 7 days.

Just goes to show instant setup is unrealistic, but often expected.

• Just got accepted into the google drive program. I must say the interface is very nice.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Mind is not ready :(

• @netomx said: Mind is not ready :(

It is super nice. Actually very cheap. You can get 200GB/m for $10/m

• I found this to be rather surprising....

Thanked by 2Mon5t3r Infinity
  • @Aldryic Maybe this is the google plot to make over all intellectual property!