Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Compelling Reasons to use IPv6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Compelling Reasons to use IPv6

I see a lot of requests for it here. Other than choosing ipv6 connectivity 'for the good of humanity', is there any particular reason why you'd prefer/require it?

Comments

• PwnerPwner Member

Nope. The only reason I would switch to it is because IPv6 is inevitable.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2014
    • IRC usage (vanity vhosts, smaller risk to be ddosed - kids mostly still does not own IPv6 capable dnets, less chance to get "too many connections" error in case of more IRC connections...)
    • Usage of Gmail as SMTP server over IPv6 for sites (with registration form) behind Cloudflare
    Thanked by 1Magiobiwan
  • Gmail smtp over ipv6 doesn't work much, or at least had some major troubles recently.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2014

rds100 said: Gmail smtp over ipv6 doesn't work much, or at least had some major troubles recently.

Gmail does not have problems accepting SMTP over IPv6 by my experiences. I use it for most of my Drupal sites behind cloudflare. Maybe it cause you issues because lack of rDNS records?

• @Spirit could be, i don't remember now what was the problem i saw 1-2 months ago.

• @ricardo said:
    Other than choosing ipv6 connectivity 'for the good of humanity', is there any particular reason why you'd prefer/require it?

Anyone into sadomasochism would prefer it for obvious reasons.

• @Spirit said:
    Gmail does not have problems accepting SMTP over IPv6 by my experiences. I use it for most of my Drupal sites behind cloudflare. Maybe it cause you issues because lack of rDNS records?

I've had issues too with Gmail. I am compliant with the standards (PTR, DKIM, SPF, TLS, etc.) but it seems now that Google has blocked whole subnets of IPv6 address.

I eventually created a blacklist of domains that I had to enforce IPv4 connections (Gmail being the only one on it).

• Because I can memorise IP addresses like 2001:BABE:B16B:00B5::69

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 2014

in 2001 in there was a babe in dorm room B16 with great boobs that you'd like to 69? I can see why you'd find that easy to memorise.

• @ricardo said:
    in 2001 in there was a babe in dorm room B16 with great boobs that you'd like to 69? I cant see why you'd find that easy to memorise.

Funny, I took one look at that address and knew exactly where it was heading. :D

• Well to be fair it's very pale sarcasm saying it's easy to memorise those addresses... I had to investigate.

• I like it because I'm a cheap bastard and I can get one IP4 and a /64 of IPv6. I can setup whatever needs an IP4 (I can't make Windows Update connect over IPv6 only) and I run everything else on IPv6.

I haven't had luck tunneling a 6to4, mainly because I haven't needed it so I haven't bothered finding the right answer on google.

• Silvenga said: I eventually created a blacklist of domains that I had to enforce IPv4 connections (Gmail being the only one on it).

same here.

• hoczajhoczaj Member
    edited March 2014

If i'm right you are looking for a solution for ipv4 tunneling over ipv6 ?
    Have you tried openVPN for example?

I made a quick solution for a LET member, using openVPN:

http://hocza.com/how-to-setup-an-ipv4-tunneling-over-ipv6/

Thanked by 1talsit
  • @hoczaj, that is what I'm looking for long-term. I'll take a look. Thanks!