Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Servers on VPS Systems
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Game Servers on VPS Systems

Reading over many different boards and many different threads, I've yet to see a real thread that showcases actual numbers in terms of what VPS server can host what Game servers. So are there any users who are currently hosting Game servers on VPS's, that actually has players using it? Can you post your VPS specs, locations, speeds, type of Virtualization.

Comments

• BradBrad Member

I've mentioned this game a few times on this board already, but I'm going to do so once again: http://assault.cubers.net

It is a simple FPS and a small one, only at ~50MB for the total package. One server uses only about 30-75MB of ram max and load is pretty low at 0.03. At times when 16 (the max) slots are filled up, you probably won't notice any much difference, in terms of resource usages. In my past experiences, a 128MB server will work. Even a server on a H1F (Host1Free) VPS works without trouble.

• It honestly depends on the game. I've run Source game servers (Tf2, 18 players, atlanta with RN) fine on a 1GB OVZ server

• grillmastergrillmaster Member
    edited March 2014

@Void_Whisperer said:
    It honestly depends on the game.

^This

There's usually a limiting factor between RAM, CPU, or bandwith between different games.

• it also depends on how heavily you will mod the gameserver with plugins etc. some plugins might be poorly optimized/coded and eat alot of ram memory away.

• PwnerPwner Member

@Mark_R said:
    it also depends on how heavily you will mod the gameserver with plugins etc. some plugins might be poorly optimized/coded and eat alot of ram memory away.

CraftBukkit.

• @Pwner said:

Spigot is a way to fix that.

• RivaComRivaCom Member
    edited March 2014

@grillmaster said:

These kind of answers are the ones I was trying to avoid. I've seen this question with these statements 100 times over, I'd love to see some real stats on users who have run servers. Doesn't matter what game, I was just curious on whos out there that has run what without problems.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

It works, it depends on the Hostsystem i got 50$ DO Credit and i am running a 20 Slots Garrysmod Server on that box for 10 Months free. Mostly laggfree but sometimes you get laggs better as i expected :D

• Rob92Rob92 Member

Another lesser known game is Urban Terror (Mod of Quake 3). It's server client is quite light on load and runs without lag on most any VPS with at least 128MB RAM or more. However some maps use more than others so it is best to say 256MB as a recommended value.

You can check it out at: http://www.urbanterror.info/home/

• For source games you'll want about 400-450mb of RAM. It usually only uses 300-350mb but its better to be safe than sorry. A full TF2 server (24-32 slots) will use quite a bit of CPU.

Whereas a 10 slot minecraft server should have 512mb-1024mb of RAM and will use less CPU than the TF2 server. Running a real time game like TF2 or CS:S is not advised unless you have a good amount of access to the cpu. Minecraft however does pretty well on VPS because it is as real time as a shooter would be.

• @ryguy222 said:
    For source games you'll want about 400-450mb of RAM. It usually only uses 300-350mb but its better to be safe than sorry. A full TF2 server (24-32 slots) will use quite a bit of CPU.

Whereas a 10 slot minecraft server should have 512mb-1024mb of RAM and will use less CPU than the TF2 server. Running a real time game like TF2 or CS:S is not advised unless you have a good amount of access to the cpu. Minecraft however does pretty well on VPS because it is as real time as a shooter would be.

TF2 isn't that bad if you manage them properly.