Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

These probably don't exist but figured I'd ask...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

These probably don't exist but figured I'd ask...

Does anyone know any LEB providers that have floating/elastic/[insert marketing term here] ip addresses? Even if it is like $3-5/month extra?

Thanks

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

iwStack and armorshark have cloudstack/openstack things, so maybe they offer those features.

Thanked by 1RichardLeik
  • PwnerPwner Member
    edited March 2014

Edit
    Nevermind, my Technical Translate misunderstood OP's question.

• Well, an IP address I can move between two VMs in the same datacenter/location.

• wychwych Member

Failover IP?

• AbydonAbydon Member
    edited March 2014

Yes, that is what Hetzner & OVH call it. I'm basically trying to avoid jumping to buying a 3 server cluster of actual machines [from OVH's SYS brand] and sticking with VMs instead.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    Thanked by 1Abydon
  • That might work but that isn't a VPS provider as far as I can tell?

• vexxhost.com/vexxhost.ca

OpenStack, Montreal, DO/Vultr pricing... 1$/IP

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@Abydon said:
    That might work but that isn't a VPS provider as far as I can tell?

Rage4 is not a VPS provider, they provide anycast IP services that you can use in tandem with any VPS or dedi provider. Thought it many have worked for you... soon ;0

• AbydonAbydon Member
    edited March 2014

@FrankZ said:

Fair enough. I'll wait until I can see the prices and decide. I'm not sold on Anycast for anything that needs functional sessions tho.

@agonyzt said:
    vexxhost.com/vexxhost.ca

OpenStack, Montreal, DO/Vultr pricing... 1$/IP

I thought they might but they told me they didn't when I signed up this weekend.

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

Are you wanting floating ip's in the same location for failover? If so, why not use heartbeat/pacemaker/drdb?

• AbydonAbydon Member
    edited March 2014

@r0t3n said:
    Are you wanting floating ip's in the same location for failover? If so, why not use heartbeat/pacemaker/drdb?

If I cannot move an IP address from Box A to Box B in the same DC, what happens when Box A fails? I'd have to update the DNS with the TTL delay that would create which is what I'm trying to avoid.

I don't want to have a single point of failure other than the network/power/etc for the DC if I can avoid it. :)

• AbydonAbydon Member
    edited March 2014

Yes, Rackspace calls what I am talking about a "shared IP" but last time I checked they weren't LEB budget range.
    http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/public-pricing/
    $30/month minimum

I know how to implement it. The issue is finding a LEB that supports it versus going to a bargain Dedicated provider [e.g. Online.NET] and picking up 2 Atoms + the shared IP.

Since this is primarily a hobby project and professional practice, my total budget is like USD $50/month with a preference for the cheapest option that will be up 99% of the time.

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

A shared ip is just a normal ip when its comes to heartbeat. Not sure if you can do this on openvz easily (not sure if venet causes issues) but should be able to do this with a KVM host easily as you need to assign the ip's yourself generally.

Just think of it as this, VPS-B pings VPS-A, if no reply then VPS-B will assign the ip essentially taking over the ip. Nothing special about it.

Thanked by 1tszilassi
  • If I was hosting the VMs, yes. That doesn't mean I can just capture the IP address on a new instance on someone else's infrastructure that I don't control and have it route correctly.

I know it hasn't on the provider's I've used in the past.

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

If your using KVM, you usually assign the ip's yourself, you get given an ip and you assign it yourself. I don't see why any KVM provider wouldn't be able to allow you to do this, i've done it before on rented VMs.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@r0t3n said ... i've done it before on rented VMs

If you would tell the OP where you did that, and it worked, it would answer his original question

• r0t3n said: If your using KVM, you usually assign the ip's yourself, you get given an ip and you assign it yourself. I don't see why any KVM provider wouldn't be able to allow you to do this, i've done it before on rented VMs.

There's a feature in SolusVM that is labeled prevent IP stealing or somesuch. That pretty much puts the clamps on it.