Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ksplice
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ksplice

onepoundonepound Member
edited April 2012 in General

I saw mention to Ksplice in a thread and thought I would try it.
Installed it on a couple of Xen nodes and I get unsupported kernel errors. Xen nodes are runing Centos 5 with stock xen kernel.

Sent support ticket to ksplice, their reply stated that only official RedHat would work, Centos and other spin-offs are not compatible. This puzzled me somewhat!

Is anyone having better luck with Ksplice than I am, what distro are you using on it.?

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Ksplice is owned by Oracle.

CentOS isn't listed on this page:

http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/supported-kernels

I saw a presentation at Oracle OpenWorld on it last October and they actually only discussed OEL and RHEL but I see Ubuntu and Fedora on that page as well.

They have no motivation to support it for any distro not used by big companies. Indeed, they bought it as a differentiator vs. AIX. With ksplice, Oracle can say "you can run Oracle from top to bottom - app/db/cluster/fs/vm/os - with 100% uptime via RAC and now you don't even have to take nodes out for patching the kernel. AIX can't offer you that."

Only big companies can afford that solution - and hence, they're only interested in supporting it on OEL and RHEL.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Don't you have to be an oracle customer to get new licenses for it?

We use ksplice but we roll our own patches.

Francisco

• Thanks,
    so although effectively Centos is a downstream clone of RHEL they block it's use.

One wonders why they bothered with Fedora & Ubuntu!

• Expand: One wonders why they bothered with Fedora & Ubuntu!

Probably because they don't compete with RHEL.