Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Hardware, where to get from for cheap?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server Hardware, where to get from for cheap?

I was wondering where do most of the providers get the server hardware from and is it cheap to buy spare parts as compared to buying a server. Also do dedicated server providers purchase brand new parts, servers to refurbished ones?

I'm not looking to know any secrets but just curious, as I'm thinking of starting to offer dedicated servers.

Any suggestions, guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• blackblack Member

Believe it or not, ebay.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • It'd came to my mind but is it reliable buying stuff on ebay? I've researched some providers and one of them would be servermonkey.com where you get refurbished servers and warranty too.

• Where are you looking to offer this? Ukraine?

• @concerto49 said:

No mostly Atlanta or other parts of US where colo prices are not too high.

• said: Also do dedicated server providers purchase brand new parts, servers to refurbished ones?

It depends on what. A bit of everything would be the answer.

ultimatehostings said: No mostly Atlanta or other parts of US where colo prices are not too high.

Dallas!

• Thanks, Dallas would be a good option too I guess.

• Amazon has pretty good prices on certain hardware to.

• Thanks, will take a look. Any colocation suggestions?

• PwnerPwner Member

@ultimatehostings said:
    Thanks, Dallas would be a good option too I guess.

Personally, I feel Dallas is a perfect place since it is around Central US (Kansas would be better geographically) and many US based hosts for game-servers (just an example) would love to host there since it will be the best ping for all around the country. Well, except for Hawaii and Alaska.

• ultimatehostings said: Thanks, will take a look. Any colocation suggestions?

I got several. What location you thinking?

• I'm not sure at this point, I'm collecting all the info, everything is to be done within a budget.

• ultimatehostings said: I'm not sure at this point, I'm collecting all the info, everything is to be done within a budget.

If you are interested in Seattle, give Incero a ring with what you need and they will set you up.

Thanked by 2SpeedyKVM ryanarp
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

ultimatehostings said: I'm not sure at this point, I'm collecting all the info, everything is to be done within a budget.

I think it will be important to be close to you. Shipping the servers and all is good with a reliable DC which offers cheap and reliable remote hands, but you would probably like it more if you set it up yourself.

• Thanks for the suggestion however the server's can't be close to me since I'm not in US. :)

Thanked by 1tszilassi
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Well, then host in your town, or a town close, I am sure people will love it if it is an exotic location. They will also probably pay premium.
    At the end of the day, the really good DCs that can set you up exactly how you wish, with reliable technicians that will not pull the wrong drive to replace it when one dies, for example, will be expensive. It will probably be better to host in your town and ask for a premium, you cannot compete with big DCs which offer low prices for their own used hardware.

• I agree it won't be easy to compete against big DC's or the ones who have their own hardware but I guess, I need to start somewhere.

• Be wary of Dallas property tax.

• Virtovo said: Be wary of Dallas property tax.

There's tax everywhere. Just in different forms.