Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vps on vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vps on vps

jcalebjcaleb Member
edited April 2012 in General

is it possible to provide vps running on a vps? say, i buy 2048mb vps from buyvm, and make multiple 128mb/256mb vps and sell them?

Comments

• NickMNickM Member

Yes! If you have a KVM VPS, you can install OpenVZ on it. Performance wise? It's probably not that great of an idea.

• its very possible. Rus foster does this on his new brand from what am aware.

• @NickM just for fun only to setup such

• You can also run UML inside OpenVZ if you want.

• @DotVPS no, i will not really try this. just curious. but i do have vps from hostigation and securedragon. allsimple too. very happy with them, and they have stock.

• NickMNickM Member

Oh, also, I'm obliged to post this image in every topic like this...

• @NichM how is performance on the innermost? that your's?

• NickMNickM Member

I must admit that I cheated to make that image, sorry.

• i'll try it when i have time, and maybe post a youtube

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2012

It works fine, some of our development boxes are just like this since I didn't want to sacrifice power just so I have something I can kernel panic. It's also nice to not have to tie up the rack KVM just because i'm working on a ksplice/etc.

Will it handle like a beast if you have a ton of I/O work? I'm not sure, you're likely to piss off your host before you find out where KVM tops out :P CPU wise, OVZ has a < 1% overhead if not lower in the newer kernels so it all comes down to how smoothly the KVM instance is holding.

OVZ, assuming you stick to .18, is incredibly stable so assuming your KVM instance is solid, it'd run without issues.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Asim
  • OpenVZ inside KVM works well :)

Thanked by 1Asim
  • quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited April 2012

FWIW, Proxmox 2.0/OVZ works great on Xen HVM too.

@jcaleb said: say, i buy 2048mb vps from buyvm, and make multiple 128mb/256mb vps and sell them?

The problem there will be IPs... :)

OT, but for those who need multiple vboxen for dev purposes, I've been playing with vagrant and like it (uses virtualbox as a backend so only works well on KVM/HVM)

• @quirkyquark said: The problem there will be IPs... :)

Probably not with BuyVM :P

Thanked by 1klikli
  • This can be done on Xen-pv with pygrub to create openvz, but I wouldn't recommend it.

• InceptionHosting would be best for this.
    Get it? Hehaho :(

[/badjoke]

• @ElliotJ said: InceptionHosting would be best for this.

:D

• @jcaleb said: is it possible to provide vps running on a vps? say, i buy 2048mb vps from buyvm, and make multiple 128mb/256mb vps and sell them?

There's another factor to consider (and the primary reason as to why we don't have a reseller program). Many hosts won't tolerate the "it was one of my clients" excuse for abuse/etc. For us at least, multiple offenses from your 'clients' will lead to termination of your account, since the resources being abused are in your name.

• also this one.. http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/kvm-nested-virtualization-works

work well on AMD, but must use patch for Intel processor.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • AsimAsim Member

@DanielM said: Rus foster does this on his new brand from what am aware.

TechieVPS? :O

• @Asim said: TechieVPS? :O

Yeh

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • nice. so vps on vps is possible. maybe this is ok for people who just want to learn or study something. but not to resell.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited April 2012

@Mon5t3r said:
    work well on AMD, but must use patch for Intel processor.

LOL. So that's why i couldn't get it working. It kept saying the virt extension wasn't enabled. TBH i did give in after a couple of attempts but im glad i have seen you mention it for future reference.

• @VMPort yeah, i've noticed that when one of my client asking me that thing (nested kvm), i'm very confidence when i said "yes it will work by default", and then i realize it doesn't work natively on intel processor -.-"

• @jcaleb said: so vps on vps is possible

Why do I picture women jello wrestling?

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2012

You could be a man and chroot bash, that sorta works and it feels like a VPS

Thanked by 1marrco
  • laaevlaaev Member
    edited April 2012

@DanielM said: its very possible. Rus foster does this on his new brand from what am aware.

What benefit does he gain from doing this? Other than the convenience of consoleing in the server at anytime, I wouldn't do it and sacrifice performance

• @FTN_Kevin said: What benefit does he gain from doing this? Other than the convenience of consoleing in the server at anytime, I wouldn't do it and sacrifice performance

I think its more to do with offering two virt types of the same hardware.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@miTgiB said: Why do I picture women jello wrestling?

Because you're from the South.

If you'd grown up in Michigan like me, you'd be picturing women wrestling in creamed corn.

Yes, I have seen it. And it's every bit as arousing as it sounds.

• @raindog308 said: Because you're from the South.

If you'd grown up in Michigan like me, you'd be picturing women wrestling in creamed corn.

Yes, I have seen it. And it's every bit as arousing as it sounds.

Over here in Northern michigan they would be wrestling in Cherry's. ha

• I have OpenVZ running on a KVM VPS on my home server. VMs run better on it than the old P4 laptop with a 4200 rpm hard drive I used for my test VMs before.