Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 BuyVM 128MB OVZ VPS to be offered
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2 BuyVM 128MB OVZ VPS to be offered

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited April 2012 in Offers

For the details please see this screenshot: http://imgur.com/jSxDO
They are both 128MB OVZ VPS
PM me to let me know your best offer please. Thanks a lot!

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Just got a note from @Aldryic that BuyVM has suspended transfers.

• i hope there is stock soon. i missed the stock last march

• fanfan Veteran

Just got a note from @Aldryic that BuyVM has suspended transfers.

Really?

• Correct on the transfers... thanks to the scalpers that bought up extra services only to hold and resell them (such as a 15$/yr that was supposedly sold for 45$ a week ago), all service transfers are suspended until I have new policy up in place to prevent this from becoming a recurring issue. We're a VM Provider, not a stock market <_<

If you have extra VMs that you do not wish to keep, you can place a cancellation request through the My Services menu, and you will be credited for the remainder of the billing cycle.

From behalf of us at BuyVM, we would like to offer our thanks to the few that continue to ruin things for everyone else.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Our next venture should be into a pony hockey card set, that way they can trade those instead :3

'I got the Wank Gretzky 2000 thrust limited edition!'

Francisco

• please flood us with fresh ponies to regulate stock prices

• BUSTED!

• NickMNickM Member

How is reselling a BuyVM VPS for profit any different than what BuyVM as a company is doing? You're purchasing bandwidth, power, and computing resources from various companies and reselling it all (hopefully at a profit, otherwise I fear for the future of BuyVM).

• There really is a $15 a year sold for $45? Why would someone buy, when you can already have a xen/kvm somewhere else at that price?

• But you're getting it straight from BuyVM... They own the hardware.

• But I want a taste of pony. Now I don't have chance. No new stock, and no way to get from people who don't need their's

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • i'll just wait then. i check daily their twitter and countdown for past 3 weeks.

• Both of the 2 I have bought have been used for at least 6 months or so, therefore I really appreciate the way buyvm is treating their customers who no longer want their boxes because of some changes to their own development plans. I know some people are selling for cash, but I am selling mine not for profit, lol

• @Aldryic said: not a stock market

Did someone say stock? LIES I tell ya, all lies!

• @NickM said: How is reselling a BuyVM VPS for profit any different than what BuyVM as a company is doing? You're purchasing bandwidth, power, and computing resources from various companies and reselling it all (hopefully at a profit, otherwise I fear for the future of BuyVM).

If it weren't for our stock phenomenon, it wouldn't really be an issue. We had no problems with folks wanting to sell an unused service at the value of the remaining billing cycle, etc... but within the past 2 weeks I've seen over 30 transfer requests of new services (purchased at the last sales round). Someone squatting and buying up 5-10 extra VMs just to resell them at a ridiculous price once we're sold out is rather unfair to everyone else.

On a more practical note, excessive transfers are just extra work for us with no inherent gain. One client in particular has sold/transferred over a dozen VMs in the past two weeks; this equates to about 20-30 minutes per transfer (including account audits to ensure someone isn't trying to just pull a fast one). I don't mind the occasional transfer, but its just getting silly now. And yes, I do realize that not every transfer request is a scalper, but as a firm believer in the 'no special treatment' policy, I'm not going to sit and be selective over who can and cannot transfer.

I'm writing new policy to cover these issues now, more info will be available in this post, and via our announcements page once I'm finished.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

An example from Invision (maker of IPBoard): no transfer for the first 3 months of ownership, fee to transfer, transfer is initiated by the seller and once committed Invision will not adjudicate any disputes (to prevent the "he charged back paypal after I gave him the license" headache).

Ideally, stating that no transfer is allowed to e sold for more than the prorated amount left on the term would eliminate all scalping, but I can't imagine how you'd enforce that.

Yes, sounds like a headache for no gain.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

So, the ones I sent you, are cancelled too?

• pcanpcan Member

Scalpers are the obvious consequence of the market strategy of BuyVM. If you market successfully your product/service and also put supply constraints, it becomes "rare". This works for any kind of product, even a relatively indifferentiated product like a VPS (but you need a pretty good marketing). Some people attach an emotional value to rare items, and see it as a prized possession or collectible. The emotional value has nothing to do with rationality, and is only limited by the disposable income of the target market. It can be insanely high, see for example the 500-1000$ price of the first batch of Raspberry Pi, or the market price of some rare stamps. Scalpers come in and cover the needs of those "emotional" buyers.
    There are lots of tried and tested marketing strategies to keep the supply constraint, avoid the scalpers, and monetize on the popularity. A simple one is to have a product (VPS) similar (equal cost of production), but not quite identical to the regular one. This "premium" product will be priced a lot higher but will be always available. The unsold inventory cost is covered by the higher price. Scalpers have now a market ceiling, and will probabily look elsewhere. Emotional buyers are happy. The product manufacturer (BuyVM, in this example) gain some extra money.

• good point from raindog. why not just charge money for transfers to cover up the effort. just like a stock broker?

• I'm considering it. I don't want to have to eliminate transfers, since I know that some folks will end up with extras just from overcautious planning or projects going south. It's just a shame that a few folks have to ruin it for the rest.

• @Aldryic understood. its hard problem to find a balance.

• cedriccedric Member
    edited April 2012

@Aldryic said: supposedly sold for 45$ a week ago

I only got $30 for the one I sold :(

• @Aldryic will this also affect casualties friday?

I been looking for a KVM-128 and I havent been lucky.

Also @Mitgib any news on new stock, at the moment you are like BuyVm no stock :(

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@thekreek said: Also @Mitgib any news on new stock, at the moment you are like BuyVm no stock :(

If you are going to compare me to BuyVM, let me give you an oldie, but goodie, @Francisco classic, soon ;)

Once the power is installed to a new cabinet in LA, the nodes are sitting and waiting to be turned on.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I got 3 kvm nodes upgraded to e3's last week so its up to piny to release storage and KVM stock.

Im waiting on final power counts from matt to get more nodes online.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@thekreek said: @Aldryic will this also affect casualties friday?

Casualties Fridays will resume as normal this week :P

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@Aldryc sorry im new to buyvm casualty friday. does that mean there is stock for LET this friday May 4? is this every week? where to know more info?