Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whole VPS being cached?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Whole VPS being cached?

nimdynimdy Member

Here's my issue. I configure or add a plugin to wordpress. It all looks fine. I come back to it later and the configuration is gone and so is the newly installed plugin. I leave it for a while, return and it is back again.

I thought at first it was some kind of caching going on in my own webserver configuration. I decided to start a fresh by reinstalling the OS through the Solus panel (OpenVZ). Now I am finding that when visiting the server IP in a browser - one minute it is the 'It Works!' Apache holding page (showing it is a new install) and a few minutes later my old Wordpress site reappears!

The same is the case with SSH. One minute I can SSH on port 22 (default when installed), the next it reverts back to my old configuration where I moved it to a non-standard port.

I can't understand this. Can anyone help?

Comments

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

DNS issue?

• DNS world not affect direct IP access. The only thing I can think of is incorrect IP addresses?

• nimdynimdy Member

Whatever it was I think asking the provider to dump the container and give me a fresh one seems to have helped. Much better now :)

• kaflokaflo Member

That's some Twilight Zone stuff right there.

Thanked by 2Steve81 skybucks100
  • Sounds more like a browser cache issue.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@ricardo - Except it happens with ssh too (unless OP using browser for ssh)

Thanked by 1Steve81
  • nimdynimdy Member

Nope, using putty to SSH.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

IP problems?

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

Your provider didn't delete your old vps. So currently both vps are running and are competing for the ip addresses which is the same for both.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • nimdynimdy Member

@Hani said:
    Your provider didn't delete your old vps. So currently both vps are running and are competing for the ip addresses which is the same for both.

That's the best explanation for it I've had so far. It makes sense too - it all started when I had a messy node migration. So both were probably running as you said. One minute I log in I get to one server, and the next I get to the other one.

Is this a common issue with VPS?

• @nimdy said:
    Is this a common issue with VPS?

No but with chaotic providers.