Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH AntiDDoS review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH AntiDDoS review

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
edited March 2014 in General

Hello, anybody can give a feedback about the OVH AntIDDoS?

It's running Ok? It mitigate Ok?

How about false positives?

It increases the latency?

Good network during attack?

Thanks!

Comments

• Back when I used it, in the beginning stages, they had a lot of false positives and users were mass disconnected from my servers, also their protection took more than 2 minutes to turn on. I can't speak for the last months though.

• n0myn0my Member

It runs ok. It mitigates ok.
    I haven't had any false positives yet. But some small attacks rarely go through the firewall but its very easy to block them on server level.
    It doesn't increase latency... maybe 1ms? there is little to no difference when protection is enabled or when its not.
    Good network during attack. Doesn't seem like the server was getting hammered.

When attack starts, it takes 120 seconds for the firewalls to kick in. You can see the firewalls when you tracert. They also send an email when the protection starts and when it stops.

I had only used ovh servers in rbx.

• only the free protection takes 120 secs to kick in

• OVH really have got one of the best anti DDOS infrastructures out there.If you are on their "OVH" range of servers instead of KS or SYS then their pro anti DDOS is included with them for free which takes less than a second to kick in & it is blocks all types of attacks.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yep, from the moment they announced it, I knew it will be good. This is an example of how a big pipe company can deal with it by using the excess incoming (DCs usually are heavily skewed towards outgoing, more than 3 times the traffic is outgoing).

• It's actually really decent :)

• We love their Anti-DDoS, it works for our clients aswell.

• @Floris said:
    We love their Anti-DDoS, it works for our clients aswell.

Do you have the "pro" protection? I'm choosing between you and MCH (you both use OVH) so it's a hard choice.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited March 2014

120 seconds is too long for a gameserver, by that time everyone is disconnected already. How much does it costs to upgrade the protection? are there any guarantees of how big of a DDoS you can recieve?

• edited March 2014

It also depends on where your target audience is if you are planning to host on ovh

Edit: Huh. Their pings got better since the last time I checked..

• @Mark_R said:
    120 seconds is too long for a gameserver, by that time everyone is disconnected already. How much does it costs to upgrade the protection? are there any guarantees of how big of a DDoS you can recieve?

120 seconds is only for their "free protection". The "pro protection" activates in less than a few seconds with only a minor ping increase between the attack starting and the 2-5 second mitigation activation :)

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited March 2014

@0xdragon said:
    Do you have the "pro" protection? I'm choosing between you and MCH (you both use OVH) so it's a hard choice.

Yes, we have the "pro" protection and have permanent mitigation, feel free to test it on our homepage, the difference between us and MCH is that they have KVM and we use OpenVZ.

• @Mark_R said:

Their "Professional" DDOS is included with all servers you lease from ovh.com but not not with those at SYS or KS & previously it used to cost 20 Euros a month to upgrade but I am not sure if you can upgrade as of now or ot.

• @0xdragon said:

BeastVM obviously have servers from "OVH" range as you cannot get those big IP subnets with SYS or KS. So it automatically means they have the Pro protection.

If you need a DDOS protected server in Canada then both BeastVM & MCH would be good choices but depends on whether you need OpenVZ or KVM.

• @0xdragon you are from mj12 also, right?

• @jmginer said:
    Hello, anybody can give a feedback about the OVH AntIDDoS?

It's running Ok? It mitigate Ok?

How about false positives?

It increases the latency?

Good network during attack?

Thanks!

Are you planing to Collocate or lease servers from OVH?

• @K2Bytes said:
    Are you planing to Collocate or lease servers from OVH?

You can only colocate in France there though.

• @Floris said:
    You can only colocate in France there though.

And I doubt it includes DDOS protection is they offer Colocation in GlobalSwitch & their Paris DCs only which do not have VAC installed.

• n0myn0my Member

Just had a ddos, I have the free ddos protection.

http://i.imgur.com/7GQkQ4J.png