Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Unmetered Xen VPS

Unmetered Xen VPS

rethinkvpsrethinkvps Member
edited April 2012 in General

ReThinkVPS is looking to expand into Xen VPS's. I was wondering if there is big interest in unmetered Xen VPS's and if so what kind of featuress would you like to come with it?

www.ReThinkVPS.com - Founded 2010

Tagged:
Thanked by 1joshin

Comments

• DanielMDanielM Disabled

Just depends how "Unmetered" it is.

Thanked by 2TheHackBox joshin
  • ZettaZetta Member
    edited April 2012

1Gbit unmetered, 100GB disk, 2GB RAM, Xen HVM, Load own ISO, $5 a month ... ...What? You were thinking it too.

When you find that perfect VPS, KEEP IT.

• @DanielM It will be completely unmetered 1Gb/s but obviously we will have a fair usage policy.

• SpiritSpirit Disabled
    edited April 2012

How's with your previous http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/2293/would-you-buy-an-ultra-leb/p1 thread? :P Will be this time public offer or just something to discuss about? :P

• @rethinkvps said: It will be completely unmetered 1Gb/s but obviously we will have a fair usage policy.

How many GBs is fair?

• DanielMDanielM Disabled

@rethinkvps said: we will have a fair usage policy.

So its not unmetered?

• @DanielM No I never said that, we don't suspend for bandwidth usage but we don't allow the lowest possible package to push 10TB.

• @rethinkvps said: we don't allow the lowest possible package to push 10TB.

So it's not unmetered?

• debugdebug Member

You say you won't suspend for bandwidth...but you'll suspend the lowest package for pushing 10TB

?

[email protected]: ~$ _

• semoweb is offering at WHT a VPS with 10TB transfer for $5.83. I was thinking of ordering one and trying to use all the bandwidth, just for the fun ;-)

-

• If it's unmetered gigabit, I'd expect to use up to 313TB bandwidth each month. Sure, I probably won't, but I should be able to.

• @Debug We would ask the client to either upgrade their packages or we would limit their network speed.

• @rethinkvps said: We would ask the client to either upgrade their packages or we would limit their network speed.

Then you should label it 1Gbit till 10TB and 10Mbit after and not unmetered. Just a thought.

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited April 2012

Still 10TB on 1GBit is plenty for most people I think unless you are abusers like @rds100 :p

• TB TB

• raindog308raindog308 Super Moderator

Unmetered gbps...

Sniff, sniff. What's that smell?

Oh, it's the Cogent.

My Advice: : VPS Advice | My Blog: raindog308.com

For LET support, please click here.

• @rds100 said: was thinking of ordering one and trying to use all the bandwidth, just for the fun ;-)

Thats like 333 GB a day, how could you possibly use that expect with tor or public torrents?

I know, I'm Dale Maily.

• @Taylor said: Thats like 333 GB a day, how could you possibly use that expect with tor or public torrents?

DoS

• Naaah. Just while (true) ; do wget -o/dev/null somebigfile ; done

-

• @rds100 said: Naaah. Just while (true) ; do wget -o/dev/null somebigfile ; done

until you get blocked by the test server?

FreeVPS.us - The oldest post to host VPS provider
  • @dmmcintyre3 don't worry :) I can use my own.

-

• Unmetered vps sounds like a good idea.

Great budget VPS hosting @ http://basshost.com

• kalamkalam Member
    edited April 2012

I prefer the unmeated vps personally.

You need to state the limits clearly.

• @kalam why not just state the limit in the first place?

I know, I'm Dale Maily.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Provider
    edited April 2012

Don't call it unmetered if it's not. It will ruin your reputation among popular forums and intelligent clients.

FYI - Future LEB posts will reflect your definition of "unmetered".

-Joe @ SecureDragon - LEB's Powered by Wyvern in FL, CO, CA, IL, NJ, GA, OR, TX, and AZ
    Need free hosting? Get AFreeCloud
  • JackJack Member, Provider

@ElliotJ said: If it's unmetered gigabit, I'd expect to use up to 313TB bandwidth each month. Sure, I probably won't, but I should be able to.

Shared port...

I guess if he put 20 clients on the node...

it would be 50mbps each with 1gbps burst = 16.5TB/month

• So, according to this it's really:

Unmetered, until either... 1) We want more money from you. 2) We want to save more money.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited April 2012

@dmmcintyre3 said: until you get blocked by the test server?

Get two unmetered servers and constantly download to each other.

• AaronAaron Member

@rethinkvps You do this already. You're currently offering unmetered 1gbps VPS servers for $7.95 a month? http://www.rethinkvps.com/vpshosting.php

Just be honest with your customers, it will turn out better.

• JackJack Member, Provider

@Aaron said: @rethinkvps You do this already. You're currently offering unmetered 1gbps VPS servers for $7.95 a month? http://www.rethinkvps.com/vpshosting.php

Just be honest with your customers, it will turn out better.

They use burst.net that offer unmetered 1gbps for $200/month

• gianggiang Member

@rds100 said: semoweb is offering at WHT a VPS with 10TB transfer for $5.83. I was thinking of ordering one and trying to use all the bandwidth, just for the fun ;-)

So tell me your plan how to use this 10TB bandwidth, I got 1 10TB BW VPS too (but not with SemoWeb :D)

SellSSL.com - Comodo InstantSSL with Free EV Upgrade for $29 USD!

Cartika.com - 512MB, 200GB HDD, 10TB BW for $5 USD - Order via my aff link!

• debugdebug Member

@giang said: So tell me your plan how to use this 10TB bandwidth, I got 1 10TB BW VPS too (but not with SemoWeb :D)

SHOUTcast/IceCast ?

[email protected]: ~$ _

• Hey guys!

You can definitely use all the bandwidth on our 10TB plan, enjoy ;)

Los Angeles VPS Inside of QuadraNet Datacenter http://semoweb.com/vps.html

• @debug said: SHOUTcast/IceCast ?

But I can't play my favorite music Q_Q lol

• @giang said: So tell me your plan how to use this 10TB bandwidth, I got 1 10TB BW VPS too (but not with SemoWeb :D)

Streaming video?

"We are in a prison drama. This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption."
  • @giang said: So tell me your plan how to use this 10TB bandwidth

1. 1GB dd test file + plowup to various sites; loop
    2. If you add a 2nd VPS into the mix, plenty more ways to do it. Burn BW both ways with a socat relay, by downloading usenet binaries
    3. dl all the speedtest files from all servers