Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you manage your server access details?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you manage your server access details?

I have several vps, also some servers. I want to ask if they know of any software that allows me to store easily and SECURELY the login details.

Comments

• NickMNickM Member

For things like web-based control panel / billing area logins, I use KeePassX.

For SSH credentials, I use SSH keys, with aliases in my ~/.ssh/config file for each server.

Thanked by 1Trulime
  • ironhideironhide Member
    edited March 2014

Don't login with your user/password in your server. Rather use ssh keys. Generate a ssh public/private key in your home maching (if not already created) and copy the public key in your server's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file. For extra security you can use passphrase :)

You can then disable password based login in your server.

And then you can login anytime without being asked for user/password.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Old school, pen and paper :)

• BradBrad Member

I use SSH keys. I also keep a copy on my phone's notepad

• KeePass is very good.

http://keepass.info/

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@ironhide said:
    And then you can login anytime without being asked for user/password.

But you still need a place to store the passphrase unless you're using passwordless keys, which is a different sort of security risk.

I use PasswordSafe. KeePass is nice, but it doesn't handle Dropbox well. If you keep your safe on Dropbox, it's easy to open at home, and then find it's still open when you're somewhere else. PasswordSafe does the proper "open DB only when needed, then close immediately".

• i secured one of my vps and create simple login script with specific name for each of them so i can easyly ssh every vps from it.

use one hard combined password for them all coz i cant memorize all the ip :)

• n0myn0my Member
    edited March 2014

I just memorise 1 complicated password and add initials of provider in the beginning of it. This way I get unique password for all. You can make your own method.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Someone used ezeelogin?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Keepass, one long password to secure them all.
    Save it in a secure place

• @MikHo said:
    Keepass, one long password to secure them all.
    Save it in a secure place

Don't forget the Key File also :)

• lastpass.com for password and else. (you can save everything on the notes section)

• Lastpass is very good, I use it on all my devices

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited March 2014

Keepass (portable version) residing in Dropbox folder and minikeepass for iPhone. I store the key file seperatly on Google Drive and also have a DB password

@raindog308 you can configure keepass to lock the workspace or exit on any time threshold. Locking the workspace closes the DB

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2014

@fapvps said:
    Don't forget the Key File also :)

In this case I only use a password.
    Oh, I see what you did there :)
    Yeah, key files and other stuff worth saving.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Noerman said:
    lastpass.com for password and else. (you can save everything on the notes section)

I like lastpass, too, but I find it inconvenient for non-web passwords, compared to desktop password managers, though it's been a while since I checked out that functionality. It's great for web passwords and is surprisingly safe security-wise, since only encrypted blobs leave your PC.

What annoys the hell out of me is the tablet world where you can't customize your browser to include useful plugins like LP.

• khavkhav Member

ssh keys FTW :)

• Keepass (also saves my SSH/Git keys) - backed up to Amazon's S3 every save.

• @NickM said:
    For things like web-based control panel / billing area logins, I use KeePassX.

For SSH credentials, I use SSH keys, with aliases in my ~/.ssh/config file for each server.

That's what I do as well. Works wonders.

• lol no way! you really have users? i use a .txt file in a tc container btw

• I'm using ssh-keys. For others i'm using an excel sheet saved on atleast two usb drives. And one on a rewritable cd backed up weekly.

• BruceBruce Member

@MarkTurner said:
    Lastpass is very good, I use it on all my devices

doesn't seem to support ssh keys

• keepass with db on my backup space, also some not so important stuff in gmail as draft or in mobile phone notice :D

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

SSH Key + Lastpass + Yubikey + Cold Storage

• @chrisp said:
    lol no way! you really have users? i use a .txt file in a tc container btw

quite a lot actually

• cassacassa Member

For important servers SSH Keys with Two-Factor authentication, for other servers password with Two-Factor authentication.

• IshaqIshaq Member

HC_Ro said: Cold Storage

Fridge? ;D

• I like lastpass, its really good for web psswords.
    Does anyone have a good solution for making it easy for non-web passwords too?

• Like an absolute idiot, in a txt file.

I do only allow login over SSH via keys though so I guess by the time they get into my server I'm fucked anyway.