Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A ChicagoVPS review from a previous client that started to use their service again
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A ChicagoVPS review from a previous client that started to use their service again

jvnadrjvnadr Member
edited March 2014 in Reviews

I had a couple of live sites in Chicagovps 2 years ago. At that time, I had some minor and some mediocre issues about stability and speed of that vps (classic CVPS 2GB at 7$), so, I moved those sites to another provider, keeping from CVPS one of my 3 vps I had then.
Some months ago I decided to buy a yearly offer (30$) of normal hdd and then, another with pure ssd (again yearly at 30$) for non critical projects and testings.

Two months ago, after some tests in the first box (ssd cached - bought at October 2013) and putting there 3 idle sites, I decided to give a try to one of my live sites, a sport portal with ~3K visitors per day. It is a Joomla 1.5 installation (yes, I know, I have to upgrade it ASAP. I started to prepare the new platform, but it is a pain-in-the-ass because old template cannot be transferred and there are some issues with the articles that have titles in greek, so, it is delayed a little…).
The performance was absolutely great, much better than that in a couple of boxes from known providers here in LET (1st with 1GB mem 2vcores and a second with 512MB 2vcores). Server load with hosting, mail server and an internal ftp be used by the editors for exchange files, was about 0.10 to 0.25 most of the time.

So, I decided to move there another live site of mine, a portal (heavy Joomla 2.5) with >4.5K visitors per day, combined with another 2 joomla installations (the older backups of the site for archive purposes), a couple of wordpress installation (the public blogs from 2 editors of ours), the mail server, internal ftp etc. The main site is heavy, with java and js, multimedia content and some interactive features.

During last week, the performance is unbelievable for the specs of the box (keeping in mind the reputation of CVPS). Load is no more than 0.50 (in 4 cores vps with ssd cached and no pure ssd), pages are loading much more quickly that some other boxes from well-known providers here, stability is very good (I had 3-4 minutes downtime in 10 days) and all tat for 30$ per year! Server is located in Chicago and the speed to Europe (I live in Greece) is very good (daily backup transfers to E.U. servers –NL and UK- has speeds of 15-18Mbps, speedtest.net to my location –GR- is @ 15Mbps upload -8390 Km distance- with 12ms ping).

If server keeps with the same performance and the stability don’t give me unacceptable downtimes (more than 10 minutes per month), the value for money of this service is way better than many of good providers in LET/LEB.
And I can compare that, because I have a lot of boxes from more than 30 providers here, more than 15 live sites and much more other of them, idle.

For now, kudos CVPS!
Hope this review won’t apply to Merphy’s Law and after post it, server start to fall in hell :-)

Thanked by 2Silvenga mpkossen

Comments

• @CVPS_Chris should I give you a try despite the general consensus against your host?

• Ive also one with them and its been very good. At least the company is established, that alone is a good reason.

• @wcypierre said:
    CVPS_Chris should I give you a try despite the general consensus against your host?

You should, their services are fine.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@wcypierre said:
    CVPS_Chris should I give you a try despite the general consensus against your host?

Yup. Most of them are pro-buyvm. I have several with cvps and no problems so far.

Thanked by 1support123
  • CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@wcypierre we have completely redone how ChicagoVPS operates this past year and it has been nothing but positives. You can look at recent reviews and find that no one really has anything negative to say.

I will let our performance do the talking and not say anything else :)

• @CVPS_Chris said:
    wcypierre we have completely redone how ChicagoVPS operates this past year and it has been nothing but positives. You can look at recent reviews and find that no one really has anything negative to say.

I will let our performance do the talking and not say anything else :)

yeah, that's what I've been seeing lately as well. Hmm...... I wonder if you'd still honor your last cybermonday deal(60/3y)?

• I believe they have changed , my vps with there has been really great. Once people get the old stigmas about CVPS out of the back of their minds i think you will see less negative reviews.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @jvandr: thanks for writing such a proper review. We need more of these (regardless of the company the review is about, of course).

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2014

I always had good performance for cvps, but again, always in chicago as that is my fav location due to good speeds in EU and the rest of US for many years, but now Dallas is up in the charts as well. From what i saw, the bad things are about other locations.

• @CVPS_Chris +1 for luc :)