Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inception Hosting starts providing Debian Wheezy VPSs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Inception Hosting starts providing Debian Wheezy VPSs

TheHackBoxTheHackBox Member
edited April 2012 in Providers

Inception hosting is now providing a 3.2 kernel based Debian wheezy template for all Xen PV VPSs. However, this kernel is still considered testing so if you have a VPS with Inception feel free to test it. If you find any issues feel free to report them to @AnthonySmith or talk to him on #lowendbox on FreeNode. This is just one of the things that makes Inception Hosting unique :)

Comments

• Also according to Anthony, tomorrow there will be Ubuntu 12.04 and MineOS Xen templates :)

• That's interesting, I was running a Debian unstable (sid) container on 2.6.32.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

*tomorrow if I get time :)

If anyone (Xen PV Hosts) wants the wheezy template drop me a PM.

@Damian, running ok under OVZ then?

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • I already use wheezy in my KVMs. In Xen PV I can't just upgrade and be ready? :P

• TheHackBoxTheHackBox Member
    edited April 2012

@yomero said: I already use wheezy in my KVMs. In Xen PV I can't just upgrade and be ready? :P

Do you see any Xen PV hosts having Debian wheezy pre-made templates with a working 3.2 kernel?

• @AnthonySmith said: running ok under OVZ then?

Sid (and multiple Ubuntu 12.04s) work fine under 2.6.32-based OVZ for me.

• @TheHackBox said: Do you see any Xen PV hosts having Debian wheezy pre-made templates with a working 3.2 kernel?

No Xen PV host should put the "testing" version of a distro in the regular templates section. You want to put then under the Beta section, sure.

I assume we are talking about non-pygrub Xen PV?

• @quirkyquark said: I assume we are talking about non-pygrub Xen PV?

No this is pygrub. Also the template is fairly stable.

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited April 2012

@TheHackBox said: No this is pygrub.

So why is this such a big deal when you can just dist-upgrade???

The same goes for do-release-upgrade from Ubuntu 11.10 to 12.04.

From TorqHost Xen PV:

root@torque:~# dmesg | egrep "parav|Xen.ver"
    [    0.000000] Booting paravirtualized kernel on Xen
    [    0.000000] Xen version: 3.1.2-308.1.1.el5 (preserve-AD)

root@torque:~# uname -a
    Linux torque 3.2.0-23-virtual #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 23:58:38 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

• @quirkyquark said: The same goes for do-release-upgrade from Ubuntu 11.10 to 12.04.

I was just saying that most hosts don't have templates for these OSes. That's all.

• @quirkyquark said: So why is this such a big deal when you can just dist-upgrade???

@TheHackBox I said that, not about having premade templates

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • @AnthonySmith said: @Damian, running ok under OVZ then?

Seems to be. My testing didn't turn anything up, and some of our clients who are known to have upgraded to testing or unstable haven't mentioned any issues to me.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • Sorry if I misunderstood then. In any case, kudos to @AnthonySmith for providing these. The downside in making the installation of a beta/testing version point-and-click is that you may have to deal with tickets from folks who don't understand the fundamental nature of such distros :)

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • flyfly Member

ya inb4 "lol broke help"

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

haha, it was created because of the "lol broke help" tickets actually when people thought they could just dist-upgrade, its not quite as simple as dist-upgrade, not all users are virt/pygrub aware and just assume they just type that and it will work.

It also comes with a warning that it is still considered in testing.

• @AnthonySmith said: its not quite as simple as dist-upgrade,

Ah yes, must be the folks who say "yes please!" when asked "overwrite menu.lst?"

I always set up Grub to alternate between the old kernel and the new one on successive boots, so that rebooting after a failed boot will bring up the old kernel -- until the new one runs successfully.

It's always nice to see providers offer the newest stuff, so good job! Since Ubuntu 12.04 is an LTS release, I think lots of folks with production running on 10.04 LTS will be looking to upgrade to it, and VPS providers that are able to offer working templates for it sooner may benefit.

Thanked by 1djvdorp