Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prometeus - iwstack NEW Dallas Zone?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Prometeus - iwstack NEW Dallas Zone?

kyakykyaky Member
edited March 2014 in General

just got the email: enjoy~

Dear iwStack user,

let me introduce a couple of features recently added to the iwStack platform

1) New DALLAS-BASIC availability zone
starting from now it is possible to deploy instances in Dallas, USA with the following characteristics

• SSD local storage (no HA)
  • Basic network (no virtual routers and private VLAN)

Each instance will came with a set of firewall rules called security group. We suggest to add to the default one (in the UI go to Network/Select view: Security group) at least an INCOMING TCP rule for SSH
TCP 22 22 0.0.0.0/0

and EGRESS rules to allow TCP, ICMP, UDP from the instance to the internet.
TCP 0 65535 0.0.0.0/0
ICMP 0.0.0.0/0
UDP 0 65535 0.0.0.0/0

2) Low cost storage DATA volumes (only available in Milano)
if you need large DATA disk volumes you can now create volumes with size 100GB, 200GB or 400GB and pay them the same price of secondary storage space (€0.00005/hr or €0.036/mo per GB).
Please note that these volumes are only available in Milano, if you try to deploy them in Dallas you will get an error :-)

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2014

Hello!

No, this is not the full cloud, as you can see, some features missing, it is only a way for existing customers to expand their instances in Dallas and to test a future deploy over local storage SSD see how it fares, iron out a few bugs, test new features.
    As you probably saw, IWStack is work in progress, we continuously add features, increase quality (faster storage) and lower prices (same for storage). We will also add new instance types, with various storage options. As we gain experience and shape it as we wish, expansion will go next on the agenda.

Thanked by 2TheHackBox Joe_NQ
  • @Maounique said:
    Hello!

No, this is not the full cloud, as you can see, some features missing, it is only a way for existing customers to expand their instances in Dallas and to test a future deploy over local storage SSD see how it fares, iron out a few bugs, test new features.
    As you probably saw, IWStack is work in progress, we continuously add features, increase quality (faster storage) and lower prices (same for storage). We will also add new instance types, with various storage options. As we gain experience and shape it as we wish, expansion will go next on the agenda.

In which DC are you in Dallas?

• Wow, I am impressed... about 3500/4000 4k random iops, both reading and writting from a windows server :-)

I want this also for Milano!!

• enrique750enrique750 Member
    edited March 2014

And from a centos template:

--- /dev/vda (device 10.0 Gb) ioping statistics ---

8121 requests completed in 3000.2 ms, 3539 iops, 13.8 mb/s

min/avg/max/mdev = 0.0/0.3/56.7/0.6 ms

[root@acentos632base ioping-0.6]# ./ioping .

4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/mapper/vg_acentos632base-lv_root): request=1 time=0.2 ms

4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/mapper/vg_acentos632base-lv_root): request=2 time=0.4 ms

4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/mapper/vg_acentos632base-lv_root): request=3 time=0.2 ms

4096 bytes from . (ext4 /dev/mapper/vg_acentos632base-lv_root): request=4 time=0.4 ms

^C

--- . (ext4 /dev/mapper/vg_acentos632base-lv_root) ioping statistics ---

4 requests completed in 3635.8 ms, 3339 iops, 13.0 mb/s

[root@acentos632base tmp]# sh bench.sh

CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)

Number of cores : 2

CPU frequency : 2099.998 MHz

Total amount of ram : 1006 MB

Total amount of swap : 1023 MB

System uptime : 22 min,

Download speed from CacheFly: 74.5MB/s

Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 18.5MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 70.6MB/s

Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 8.92MB/s

Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 7.30MB/s

Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 10.2MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 8.35MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 37.1MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 38.5MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 42.6MB/s

I/O speed : 721 MB/s

• I'm trying to deploy a Debian 7 instance but I cannot connect over SSH even after adding ingress and egress rules :(

• I will definitely top up our account once the Dallas is ready to go =)

• CrabCrab Member

I tried to install FreeBSD 10 x64 from an ISO to Dallas, but it fails to go past ISO Boot Loader menu. It works fine in Milano though.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2014

Not all templates and ISOs are in Dallas. You can, of course, mount your own ISO, but it is unlikely we will copy all templates, some are already obsolete in Milano, but we keep them in case someone wants to rebuild, if the template is no longer there, ugly things can happen.

enrique750 said: Wow, I am impressed...

Do not forget this is local storage, it does not offer failover, but it does offer better performance, especially since it is pure SSD.

Netxons said: I will definitely top up our account once the Dallas is ready to go =)

I am not sure what you mean, the full SAN deployment? That will not happen too soon because needs a lot of things, need to find the right balance of cost, network, location(s) and remote hands.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • kyakykyaky Member

@Maounique said:
    Hello!

I don't really care about if it's a true cloud or not as long as they are stable as xenpower and your Dallas Xen offers :)

• @Maounique, I know it has no HA as it is local storage, but I have one vm that I need to connect twice a day and I need it to be fast when I connect. With HA san storage it takes several seconds to respond, in Dallas (even with more latency as I am in Spain) it response time when I connect is much faster.
    It has no data, so I really do not mind if I need to redeploy from the template.
    Thans for the advice :-)

• What would cause Dallas to not show up in my IWstack interface?

• tchentchen Member

I got buggered on that one too. It's not under Regions as you'd expect but under instance deployment - where you choose the network/cluster.

• It's excellent, congrats Prometheus. Hope iwStack will be at more locations.

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited March 2014

it seems the Dallas option in cloudstack already disappeared. what happened?

• WorldWorld Veteran

@kyaky said:
    it seems the Dallas option in cloudstack already disappeared. what happened?

Maybe they already out of the stock.