Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Ubuntu 14.04 delayed?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is Ubuntu 14.04 delayed?

dnwkdnwk Member

I think it was supposed to come out on Monday? Or am I missing something?

Comments

• As far as I can see it should be released in about a month

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases#Ubuntu_14.04_LTS_.28Trusty_Tahr.29

• dnwkdnwk Member

@peppr said:
    Its April 17, as per schedule (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseSchedule)

opps..... I have confused March and April twice. I thought we already in April......

Thanked by 2upfreak mpkossen
  • Will wait and see whether I'll install it. Been thinking about switching to Debian from Ubuntu lately, just for a bit extra stability and minimality. I was using 13.10 but had to roll back to the 12.04 LTS due to issues with an Nvidia GPU.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2014

Debian isnt friendly at all with proprietary drivers, you may wish to stay with Ubuntu if you do not need a plain machine for a server or something standard.
    I was able to use lots of proprietary stuff on Debian, I put it even on cheap laptops with closed source driver components, but you do need to do extra things. Go with mint and xfce for workstation/laptop, if you wish to keep in the .deb family, pure debian is the workhorse in servers for performance and stability.

• I do like Debian and would prefer them. I've had limited exposure to CentOS through VPS and Debian just feels more right for me. Drivers would be fine in my case. I know the stuff I do would work OK on it.

The GPU issue was just so that I could develop locally for some GPGPU. If only there was a LEB for graphics card use as I'm stuck between amazon and buying/colocating the hardware at the moment... hint hint ;o)

I hope Ubuntu doesn't get too distracted with mobile. Not that it matters much, 12.04 works absolutely fine.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I will upgrade my Ubuntu once it's released.

• Debian 7 user here, debian minimal gnome just my fav

Thanked by 1MassNodes
  • marcmmarcm Member

said: Is Ubuntu 14.04 delayed?

We would all be better of if they would release it when it's ready instead of trying to meet a deadline.

• @marcm said:
    We would all be better of if they would release it when it's ready instead of trying to meet a deadline.

This exists, and it's called Debian

• Even they release new version 14.04, dont download and install right away, wait for few weeks or 1-2 months until bugs are fixed ... don't rush guys.

• marcmmarcm Member

texteditor said: This exists, and it's called Debian

That's so true :-)

• tchentchen Member

@namhuy said:
    Even they release new version 14.04, dont download and install right away, wait for few weeks or 1-2 months until bugs are fixed ... don't rush guys.

Also a word of warning, Apache 2.4 configs are slightly different than 2.2x so don't go happy-go-lucky with do-release-upgrade :P

• Lots of people are still running Ubuntu Server 10.x (such as 10.04, 10.10) ; what's with Ubuntu versionitis anyways? It's getting worse than the idiots still running RHEL3 (which will finally stop when RHEL7 is released, and voids the extended support for RHEL3/4).

Don't get me wrong, Fedora's (22??) isn't much better; but it makes it very hard for people who aren't strictly Ubuntu-followers to understand what the versions "mean".

?

?

?

Above is a list of SPECIFIC VERSIONS requested as REQUIREMENTS from our users, so what's the big difference?

Well, 13.04.2 was useless; it didn't even have SCSI drivers (thus making VirtIO bus impossible to use on the base image, fixed in 13.04.3)

Thanked by 1Abdussamad
  • tchentchen Member

@GoodHosting No one should be running 10.10. Ubuntu has LTS (long term support) versions 10.04, 12.04, and soon 14.04. Everything in between is bleeding-edge. Stable enough for application development and short term production, but the focus is on getting the ecosystem stabilized for the LTS release.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited March 2014

#! all the way!

• marcmmarcm Member

Is Ubuntu still "cool"?

• Sorry, can't hear you over my Gentoo.

• We have another LTS coming out?

Ooer.

I couldnt use 12.04 because of EFI support; so 13.10 was my only savior.

• My favourite Ubuntu feature that is not in any other distro (save for forks)? Home folder encryption during installation.