Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using another VPSs IP for a VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Using another VPSs IP for a VPS

Hello,

I just bought one of these super cheap VPS with 4 IPv4s. Is it possible to use one of these IPs for another VPS? I think I read something about this. Is this GRE tunneling? Does anyone have a tutorial for Debian?

Thanky you :)

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

BuyVM did a tutorial on GRE tunnels here.

• @matthewvz said:
    BuyVM did a tutorial on GRE tunnels here.

Thank you :)

Is GRE the way to do that?

@trexos said:

Yes it is, you are just passing one servers traffic to another server.. You should also make sure that the servers are close to each other, latency can be a killer.

• trexostrexos Member
    edited March 2014

@matthewvz said:
    Yes it is, you are just passing one servers traffic to another server.. You should also make sure that the servers are close to each other, latency can be a killer.

Okay thank you!

I tried it but I get this error:

root@vserv10:~# iptunnel add gre1 mode gre local IP_1 remote IP_2 ttl 255 ioctl: No such device root@vserv10:~# ip addr add 192.168.168.1/30 dev gre1 Cannot find device "gre1"

trexos said: root@vserv10:~# iptunnel add gre1 mode gre local IP_1 remote IP_2 ttl 255 ioctl: No such device

Did you fill in IP_1 and IP_2?

• @matthewvz said:
    Did you fill in IP_1 and IP_2?

Haha yeah sure I did. I checked, iptables are installed as well.

• is it OVZ?

• @William said:
    is it OVZ?

Yeah on both sides.