Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap storage/transfer VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap storage/transfer VPS?

xyzxyz Member
edited March 2014 in Requests

I was considering a project and was wondering whether such a plan exists?

128MB RAM
80GB disk
1.5TB transfer / month
$18 / year

Am flexible with the disk/bandwidth, but the above is about what I'm aiming for.
Preferring an EU location, but not really too fussed about it.

Don't know whether this will go ahead, just seeing if the above is possible.
The idea is to store user uploaded files, so don't really need much RAM/CPU, but do need space and bandwidth. Don't need particularly fast I/O, although it should be reasonable (it may store a lot of small files, but otherwise disk access will largely be sequential, though there obviously could be multiple transfers at once). Needs to be a VPS because it may run some custom webserver modules.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran

Budget is quite on the low side but have you checked the LEB offers already?

• 1.5TB/month equals average 5Mbps / month. And you want it for $1.50/month, which makes it $0.30/Mbps. Not impossible, but not very profitable for the ISPs either.

• xyzxyz Member

Wow, thanks for the fast responses!
    I understand that I'm trying to really push it (trying to do so to see what I can get).
    I noticed that Crissic, for example, have a $15/year plan with 2TB bandwidth and 512MB RAM, so I thought it wouldn't be too out there to see if it was possible to trade those for a larger disk?

• xyz said: I noticed that Crissic, for example, have a $15/year plan with 2TB bandwidth and 512MB RAM, so I thought it wouldn't be too out there to see if it was possible to trade those for a larger disk?

Disk space is always the limiting factor in a server. Also normal plans are oversold and likely based on the fact that disks are rarely used. Would be quite possible to fit a few of those in there :)

• xyzxyz Member
    edited March 2014

I don't do any hosting, so I don't claim to know about the limitations, but to my understanding, all resources can, and usually are, oversold, including not only the disk, but, for example, RAM, CPU and bandwidth. I don't see what's particularly special about the disk being oversold.

Of course, it's unlikely that I'd use all that disk space - you generally just want to have the space to grow if necessary. This would be exactly the same as all the other shared resources.

Thanks for the input nevertheless.

• tommytommy Member

@OP try ask crissic, but they're a little bit above your budget

50 GB for $20 /years