Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using HE tunnelbroker in new york?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using HE tunnelbroker in new york?

Hi everyone I'm wondering if anyone else here is using Hurricane's Electric's IPv6 tunnel broker, specifically the server in New York.

I first created the tunnel back in December 2012 and everything was working great. Speeds through the tunnel were almost the same as my IPv4 and ping would add about 10ms. But recently I have noticed that this is not the case. Pinging google for example not going through the tunnel its an average of 16ms, but now with the tunnel its average of over 120ms with some packet loss as well.

I really started noticing it when I was sshing into a VPS from RamNode. Putty would start acting weird, like you would be typing and there would be a delay when you type and when the letters would show up. Or I would issue a command and it would take a while before I got a response. Just 20 minutes ago I wanted to stop my apache server so I issued "service apache2 stop". Usually it stops within a few seconds or at least I get a message stopping apache. But this time I got nothing it hung for a few seconds. I tried loading my site in a browser to see if apache had stopped and I got a unable to connect message. So I knew it was my terminal session.

I pinged the server and I got an average ping of 130ms and 15% packet loss.

I'm just wondering if anyone else that uses this service is experience the same problem. I'm hoping it's not just me because I have no idea what would be causing it.

Comments

• Why not use a native IPv6 provider?

• @MarkTurner said:
    Why not use a native IPv6 provider?

It's for my home internet connection and unfortunately verizon fios does not currently support native IPv6

• Hmmm.... FIOS thats another story. Do you still have your server with Delimiter? Just ask them for IPv6 allocation then tunnel to that server from your home connection. Many of their customers do this.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Hmmm.... FIOS thats another story. Do you still have your server with Delimiter? Just ask them for IPv6 allocation then tunnel to that server from your home connection. Many of their customers do this.

Yes I still have my Delimiter, would they be giving me a /64 or just an arbitrary number of addresses? I'm not even sure how I would accomplish that though.

• Just ask them for IPv6 and they'll assign you a /64

• @MarkTurner said:
    Just ask them for IPv6 and they'll assign you a /64

Does Delimiter offer anything bigger than a /64? I would like to set something up similar to what Hurricane Electric. It uses one /64 to create the tunnel, then takes a second and routes it through the tunnel to a server at my home.

• No there is no reason to offer anything bigger than a /64 for a single server. We wont allocate larger so in turn Delimiter can't.

/64 = 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IPs, even for the VPS providers who like to really back VPS's on a single server, they'll have problems filling up that many ;)

• CFarenceCFarence Member
    edited March 2014

@MarkTurner
    Do you know of any guide that I could follow to set this tunnel up? I'm trying to think how to do this with a single /64

• The IPv6 pop of he.net is quite overloaded - maybe because there are a lot of providers around the state NY which do not offer IPv6.