Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM VPS for a lot-of-things,
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM VPS for a lot-of-things,

midmid Member
edited March 2014 in Requests

I've been reading and crawling through this (and other sites) and trying to decide which way to go. There's a LOT of content and competition to process and I can't make up my mind so I'm (nicely) asking for advice and recommendations :)

Until recently I've been using Hetzner dedicated server that was a real overkill for my use case & too expensive (EX40S).

Reading TOC of many VPS offers I've noticed that a LOT of stuff isn't welcome and it's limiting in many ways (compared to dedicated server), some of those limitations clash with my requirements. I'm not convinced that VPS is really the-way-to-go here.

My needs:

1. I'm a software developer, at any time I have few ruby or php apps active in development & some in production too, so I need memory for that and databases.

2. Host a minecraft server for my friends, VPN (hamachi) is also involved.

3. Host few sites I build for my clients (not a lot of traffic there).

4. I want to run my own cloud also (mail, personal site, files sync etc.).

5. Ability to run any LEGAL software/service if the need arises (like irc server, voice chat server).

Looking at those needs I guess I need a KVS server with a minimum of:

• 2 CPU cores
  • 3-4GB of ram
  • 50-100GB of diskspace (and maybe 100GB for backups)
  • 1TB of bandwidth

So far the best I've come up with is Contabo, but it seems they aren't really recommended here.

Kimisurf PS-19 for €17 also seems ok (it's dedicated) but slightly more expensive.

I've also looked at iwstack but they seem expensive for those specs (+ paying €5 monthly for a virtual router).

Comments

• Welcome to lowendtalk,

The first thing to get out of the way is that you do not need to run all of this in one machine and if your looking for low cost vms that may have diffrent uptimes i would not recommened it. Your going to find lots of providers here offering all sorts of things just be smart about which offers you take. I would split this into 1 vm per item on ur list. for most of it. For the ruby and php apps and also mine craft servers you should speak to @serverian if you pay 14$ a month you will get a large vm should be about 12gb of ram and he will allow you to run a mine craft server as long as it does not abuse cpu. again thats last time i checked not sure if that rule still stands.

If your looking for something like mail and personal servers and need good uptime and voice chat and irc check with @drserver i am not sure if he allows the irc stuff but i have always had rocksoild networking with him and viritually 0 downtime.

If the websites for clients are just php sites and dont need a vm and can be on shared hosting try that out otherwise shop around for a vm on that to be alone the last thing you want is that your minecraft came took down a clients website

Thanked by 2Brad drserver
  • I would say spend like 20€ a month. Get a quad core dedi from i3d.net and you will be fine.. Ip's are 2€ though, but then you could split it into vps' yourself and won't have to worry about abuse or anything

Just my 2c

• midmid Member

@wojons said:
    Welcome to lowendtalk,

The first thing to get out of the way is that you do not need to run all of this in one machine and if your looking for low cost vms that may have diffrent uptimes i would not recommened it. Your going to find lots of providers here offering all sorts of things just be smart about which offers you take. I would split this into 1 vm per item on ur list. for most of it. For the ruby and php apps and also mine craft servers you should speak to serverian if you pay 14$ a month you will get a large vm should be about 12gb of ram and he will allow you to run a mine craft server as long as it does not abuse cpu. again thats last time i checked not sure if that rule still stands.

If your looking for something like mail and personal servers and need good uptime and voice chat and irc check with drserver i am not sure if he allows the irc stuff but i have always had rocksoild networking with him and viritually 0 downtime.

If the websites for clients are just php sites and dont need a vm and can be on shared hosting try that out otherwise shop around for a vm on that to be alone the last thing you want is that your minecraft came took down a clients website

Hi, thank you for these recommendations and a different perspective. I've been mostly deploying everything as VPS on a dedicated server and that's why I want to centralize all my needs into one bigger VPS. I understand my approach is lacking. I just have a feeling that maintaining a single VPS would be less cumbersome and time consuming then having 5 VPSs scattered across the internet.

• BradBrad Member

@wojons said:
    Welcome to lowendtalk,

The first thing to get out of the way is that you do not need to run all of this in one machine and if your looking for low cost vms that may have diffrent uptimes i would not recommened it. Your going to find lots of providers here offering all sorts of things just be smart about which offers you take. I would split this into 1 vm per item on ur list. for most of it. For the ruby and php apps and also mine craft servers you should speak to serverian if you pay 14$ a month you will get a large vm should be about 12gb of ram and he will allow you to run a mine craft server as long as it does not abuse cpu. again thats last time i checked not sure if that rule still stands.

If your looking for something like mail and personal servers and need good uptime and voice chat and irc check with drserver i am not sure if he allows the irc stuff but i have always had rocksoild networking with him and viritually 0 downtime.

Unfortunately, IRC servers are not allowed on our network.

• midmid Member
    edited March 2014

I have no need to run a IRC server but I don't understand why am I forbidden to run one? If I have a forum for my friends and we additionally want to be able to chat in a private matter on IRC, why is that an issue?

I mean, it's great that KVM servers are marketed as semi-dedicated but there's a long list of limitation attached to them :)

• @Brad said:
    Unfortunately, IRC servers are not allowed on our network.

Shame because i need to put an irc somewhere soon, what if its over a vpn so no one knows its an irc ;)

@mid said:
    Hi, thank you for these recommendations and a different perspective. I've been mostly deploying everything as VPS on a dedicated server and that's why I want to centralize all my needs into one bigger VPS. I understand my approach is lacking. I just have a feeling that maintaining a single VPS would be less cumbersome and time consuming then having 5 VPSs scattered across the internet.

is one server less work then 5 servers sure. But the feeling when you need to take the node of line or something the stress is higher. In the end its ur call and you will have to do what is right for your needs i can tell you i have about 25 vms and dedidcated servers out there for just a single project i could get super massive nodes and call it a day but being able to take a node out of the cluster and nothing happen allows me to sleep at night.