Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best free or open Source cPanel alternative for VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best free or open Source cPanel alternative for VPS?

TheKillerTheKiller Member
edited March 2014 in General

Looking to get my first LEB. So wanna use a cPanel for this. I have searched many but confused on which is best to use.

Please comment if you have used any? Their perfomance?

Comments

• BradBrad Member
    edited March 2014

VestaCP performs pretty well.

• nunimnunim Member

@Brad said:
    VestaCP performs pretty well.

There is no real cPanel alternative, it's the industry standard. VestaCP is pretty good, the UI isn't nearly as polished or advanced as cPanel but it works pretty well and it's free.

• ksubediksubedi Member
    edited March 2014

There is no such thing as best, everyone has their opinions and something "best" for one person might not be the same for others.

That being said, personally i would recommend vestacp or webuzo if you only need one user. Both are being developed activedly and are pretty stable.

Edit: I just realized you said open source, webuzo isnt open source but its free (if you dont want the installer thing).

• There is no real alternative. Some similar alternatives would be: VestaCP, Zpanel, Kloxo or Virualmin. There are plenty of others, but those are the ones i've tried and liked.

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • i like to use ISPConfig ,kloxo.checkout it..

• Webuzo free version is epic

• ISPConfig or webmin can be a good alternative. Or you can try zPanel, they have a bit more user-friendly interface.

• marcmmarcm Member

In the words of the great Joepie91: "The security train-wreck that zPanel is".

• Webmin is the best free alternative to cPanel.They release updates more regularly as compared to other free panels & there are not any known vulnerabilities as of now.

• Try webuzo its easy to use there is free and paid version and bug free

• VestaCP has my vote as an alternative but not as a replacement.

I've tried a number of others in my search before I went to cPanel. The fact is that cPanel have years of code and patches behind them. They are very good with disclosure of bugs & security holes, and patches come fairly fast. Mind you, it costs ~$15/mo of the privilege of running it.

However, the fact cPanel is so big means that they are very set in their ways, and it is quite hard to get new features into it as they need to maintain a stable codebase. The idea of getting them to move to nginx as a supported, standalone httpd is simply not going to happen any time soon. They have also been dragging the chain on DNSSEC, plus IPv6 is not supported in the entire stack (Mail, DNS)

While VestaCP is not quite ready for prime time (IPv6 missing, no nginix+php_fpm only), there is a clear roadmap published on their site and it should only be a month or two away yet for those two things to be fixed. The amount that has been done in the last year is amazing and I am sure by year's end it will be a very solid platform for anyone to use.

I am currently moving my cPanel reliant domains to a new cPanel server, and going to install VestaCP on the old one for testing & backup, development domains and the like. Might also use it as an FTP backup server for my cPanel backups.

• There is no good alternative to cpanel but you can try out vestacp, webmin or ispconfig

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Brad It is good but has no email limits...

• BruceBruce Member

cPanel charges money because it can. excellent product and worth the money if you need a panel.

I've tried several cheap/free alternatives. I hated Virtualmin/Webmin, but it's better than nothing.

For most stuff I just use linux commands. not difficult to get along with, and there's quite a few useful tutorials here and elsewhere. yum is your friend :)

• @marcm said:
    In the words of the great Joepie91: "The security train-wreck that zPanel is".

What you pay is what you get. Not going to make a debate, but if we want a free stuff, at least we can't hope for something superior. Of course it's depends to the functions of this LEB, if @TheKiller use it for testing purpose, it's okay then. But if this LEB used for business purposes, it's not a wise choice to use a free panel. CMIIW.

• pedagangpedagang Member
    edited March 2014

vestacp is good

• @skybucks100 said:
    There is no real alternative. Some similar alternatives would be: VestaCP, Zpanel, Kloxo or Virualmin. There are plenty of others, but those are the ones i've tried and liked.

@Chathula said:
    i like to use ISPConfig ,kloxo.checkout it..

Kloxo. Not, even, once.

• @iceTwy said:
    Kloxo. Not, even, once.

That's really make sense.. :D

• @iceTwy said:
    Kloxo. Not, even, once.

Then why not use Kloxo-MR? :) Considering all of those use the default outdated Kloxo installations whereas Kloxo-MR is up to date with recent activity of yesterday.

• tried kloxo, ispconfig, but I end with virtualmin :)

• Ajenti's webhosting plugin (Ajenti V) now supports RHEL/CentOS, as well as the Debian/Ubuntu side as it has always done. Might be worth another look for many.

Thanked by 1Jak
  • Did anyone of you tried http://ajenti.org ? I saw it interesting, but never heard of it before. Would like to try :)

Any reviews ?

• +1 for VestaCP. Just tried it today and its great!

• My company's control panel, ServerPilot, has a free plan.

We're still quite new so we don't have all of the features that other control panels have. However, what we do have is an amazing team rethinking what a control panel should be in the age of fast, inexpensive VPSes. We actually think ServerPilot + VPS is the future of hosting. We're already seeing large numbers of people using this combination to leave shared hosting. As the speed and quality of low end servers increases and their cost goes down, ServerPilot is what enables anyone to host on their own servers without being a sysadmin.

We also have a lot of people waiting for us to release our API next month so they can build their own hosting companies off of ServerPilot using DigitalOcean and other VPS providers for the infrastructure.

Don't hesitate to hit me up with questions and feedback.

• VestaCP. It works with OpenVZ or KVM virtualizations. ISPConfig only works with KVM. Virtualmin will be my third choice.

• @skybucks100 said:
    Then why not use Kloxo-MR? :) Considering all of those use the default outdated Kloxo installations whereas Kloxo-MR is up to date with recent activity of yesterday.

Kloxo-MR also has exploits!

http://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/32666/

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@ServerPilot said:
    My company's control panel, ServerPilot, has a free plan.

We're still quite new so we don't have all of the features that other control panels have. However, what we do have is an amazing team rethinking what a control panel should be in the age of fast, inexpensive VPSes. We actually think ServerPilot + VPS is the future of hosting. We're already seeing large numbers of people using this combination to leave shared hosting. As the speed and quality of low end servers increases and their cost goes down, ServerPilot is what enables anyone to host on their own servers without being a sysadmin.

We also have a lot of people waiting for us to release our API next month so they can build their own hosting companies off of ServerPilot using DigitalOcean and other VPS providers for the infrastructure.

Don't hesitate to hit me up with questions and feedback.

Open source?

• I heard Webmin was good.

• Kloxo and KloxoMR when it works :D

Had to disable the whole Kloxo system for a few days while they fixed security issues, but overall it's fairly secure as long as you don't use the admin user too much...