Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What type of monitoring do you do for your VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What type of monitoring do you do for your VPS?

libro22libro22 Member
edited April 2012 in General

Hello.

I'm using a LEB to store all my backups from a larger ManagedVPS. I am not proficient with sysadmin tasks and this LEB helped me to learn stuff. I wrote a simple bash script to delete files older than 14 days. May I know what type of monitoring do you do on your machines to keep it healthy and secure? What important logs do I need to look at? What commands should I use?

I have another LEB I don't still use for production, I'm just using it to learn things as well. I might be able to apply your suggestions on this box.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2012

Linux isn't like Windows.
    In the sense that you don't need any clean/maintenance generally.
    Commonly, the only things increasing are the stuff at /var/log and sometimes /tmp
    Sometimes another cache folders depending on your applications.
    Anyway, you can have all this garbage and most likely everything will work as always.

Is better if you focus on keeping your web applications clean of useless files if the disk space can become an issue AND your databases optimized.

• M66BM66B Veteran

If you use duplicity for backups, you can instruct duplicity to delete old backups with an option.

• munin is the shit.

• @M66B said: duplicity for backups

+1, duplicity is awesome!

@yomero said: In the sense that you don't need any clean/maintenance generally.

I have made the experience that uninstalling apps often still leaves the config files or so on the harddisk.

• I use logcheck to keep an eye on log files. It runs hourly and compares the log files to a list of regular expressions. Anything that does/doesn't match is sent to you in an email. It comes with a bunch of files that weed out most of the mundane stuff and I added a few files of my own.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited April 2012

Well, this might be a little over the top, but here we go.
    I'm currently using a combination of services.

For monitoring PHP/MySQL performance, I use NewRelic. I'm using a paid version for free, because GNAX are awesome, although the Free version should be fine anyway.
    Loads of graphs, and 'just works'. No fiddling to get things up and running. Also, incredibly detailed.

For uptime monitoring, I use UptimeRobot.
    Not the most glamorous service, but it certainly gets the job done.

For monitoring multiple VPS' disk space and bandwidth, I use this extension for Google Chrome.
    The 'disable monitoring' feature works wonders, especially when you have an AlienVPS box. I've set it to check ever 5 minutes, and it seems to be relatively accurate.

Edit: Oh, keeping it secure? apt-get upgrade works for me.

• @ElliotJ said: For uptime monitoring, I use UptimeRobot.

I'm using it to. It's great. Recommended++

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: I have made the experience that uninstalling apps often still leaves the config files or so on the harddisk.

Yes, but that doesn't affect performance

Btw, according to the text of the first post, he isn't asking for uptime monitoring, but performance monitoring, I think

• munin+a ping script I found on LET.

• @gsrdgrdghd apt-get purge package and manually remove the config files, if any.

• Sadly for me it's only pingdom.

• @Taylor why pay for pingdom when you can have something more awesome like munin for free?

• monitor.us is good for VPS monitoring too and its free! :)

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • Munin

• Thank you everyone for your input. I'll look at each one of them and see how I can use them.

If you were confused with my first post, I was actually asking for any security measures you perform on a regular basis (daily, weekly or monthly) for your VPS. e.g. checking for malicious files or attacks

• Multiple instances of OpenStatus, along with a small handful of custom notification scripts.

Thanked by 1NickM
  • fanfan Veteran

Pingdom, @NickM 's www.checkmyservers.com and OpenStatus, plus munin.

Thanked by 2djvdorp NickM
  • @OneTwo said: @Taylor why pay for pingdom when you can have something more awesome like munin for free?

>

Got it the business class for free at Easter thanks to someone hear.

• @NickM's checkmyservers :)

Thanked by 1NickM
  • JacobJacob Member

http://easestatus.com Sends alerts to my phone.

• @Jacob said: http://easestatus.com Sends alerts to my phone.

looks great man. give us the source code!!

• tommytommy Member

@Jacob said: http://easestatus.com Sends alerts to my phone.

source code please :) I need a simple script :D

• JacobJacob Member

The scripts called statusmon, I customized it to my own requirements.